DK Pittsburgh Sports...lots of turnover in employees...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: DK Pittsburgh Sports...lots of turnover in employees...

Post by FLPensFan »

Realist wrote:Here's some observations:

1) They claim to be hardened reporters, yet have Bobble Heads/Fanboy stuff decorating their office?
2) They dress like they are going to a Volleyball game when they do their reports.
3) Taylor Haase is hot.
4) We would LOVE to know the details of why Mackey and others left.
On #4, I always got the feeling Mackey went there to do hockey. And after awhile, he was moved to Steelers football, and DK played it off like football was Mackey's true passion. I don't know if Mackey left before Kaboly joined, but I have a feeling Mackey may have seen that in the works and bolted, or Mackey simply got a chance to go back to covering hockey at the PG and jumped at the chance. In general, it seems like DK is very demanding, and you either get along with him very well, or not at all....doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Also on Mackey, DK made an accusation the other day in his Q&A that Jason Mackey stabbed Dave Molinari in the back, to steal the Penguins beat from Dave and send Dave to cover Penn State Football. I'm a big Molinari fan because he has been around. He's very dry, and straight to the point, but he is an award winning sports reporter for a reason. I have a hard time believing Mackey alone could force Molinari out....doesn't seem like a smart move by the PG, unless money and tenure issues were going on.

I bring this up, because Mackey is hosting a 1pm Penguins chat right now, and has been answering questions like crazy, pretty much every minute. Someone in the chat just asked "DK said you backstabbed Molinari. What is he talking about?" It has been 10 minutes since that question was posted with no response....the whole chat has just stopped at this point.... :pop:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Mackeys response regarding Molinari:

Jason Mackey
1:31 Knew this would come up. One, Dejan is wrong. As I tweeted, I don't make hiring or staffing decisions at the Post-Gazette. My bosses do, and I do what I'm told to the best of my ability. That's not a crime or "stabbing someone in the back." I also could never imagine my bosses feeling the need to comment on what DKPittsburghSports.com or the Tribune-Review do with their hiring and staffing decisions. I have the utmost respect for Dave. He's in the Hall of Fame. I grew up reading him. He's long been one of my idols and one of the primary reasons I got into this business. That he's doing more Penn State isn't at all my decision or my doing, and I respect Dave and the folks who make such decisions at the Post-Gazette too much to get into it here. I do hope that after Penn State finishes Dave will again have a voice on Penguins, but again, that's not going to be my decision to make.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Benz leaving, going to the Trib.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

PensOnDVD wrote:Benz leaving, going to the Trib.
But....but....its common for start up businesses to have this much turnover. Hahahahhaha
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Realist wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote:Benz leaving, going to the Trib.
But....but....its common for start up businesses to have this much turnover. Hahahahhaha
Benz left EIGHT DAYS before DK's Radio venture starts, which DK got tons of advertising money. I believe he was looking to raise between 50-100K in advertising or capital. I wonder how many of those investors/advertisers gave funds based on Benz anchoring the radio spot. I would be willing to bet that many of them aren't thrilled that Matt Gajtka is now set to take over as the primary radio host. I've never looked at it before, so maybe it was always this way....but I find it funny how Gajtka's bio on the site is now talking up all the broadcasting positions he has held in the past, and all his positions he has had at radio stations and announcing different sports.

Gajtka was hired to cover the Pirates, and was talked up as a major stats guy....which he has provided numerous articles and insight. He started covering more Penguins games during the playoffs, and is still listed at the top of his bio as lead analyst and Penguins/NHL reporter. Now he's moving to Radio. :face:

Hockey is paying probably 70% of the bills for DK's site. It is far and away the most popular content and most read content there. Steelers are 2nd, and if his site depending on Pirates followers, it probably would have died a year ago.

I'm waiting for Molinari to come over from the PG, since he was pushed to cover Penn State athletics.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

FLPensFan wrote:
Realist wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote: I'm waiting for Molinari to come over from the PG, since he was pushed to cover Penn State athletics.
Yeah. That move by the PG still makes me wonder. The PG is sort of like KDKA news; it has that "old guy" feel to it. Maybe they thought Dave was part of that feel, but I liked Dave's work.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Wow...some guy now has a twitter account to track the employee turnover: @dk_turnover

Must be like the "Did Gomez Score" twitter handle...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Realist wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Realist wrote:
PensOnDVD wrote: I'm waiting for Molinari to come over from the PG, since he was pushed to cover Penn State athletics.
Yeah. That move by the PG still makes me wonder. The PG is sort of like KDKA news; it has that "old guy" feel to it. Maybe they thought Dave was part of that feel, but I liked Dave's work.
DK blamed it on Mackey. If you look up a few posts, I put Mackey's response to that......where he basically says he does what he is told and reports on what he is told to, and had nothing to do with Molinari getting moved.

Molinari is a major award winning journalist. Seems like maybe the PG is trying to force him out by sticking him on something he probably has little interest in covering. $$$ issue maybe?
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Realist wrote:Wow...some guy now has a twitter account to track the employee turnover: @dk_turnover

Must be like the "Did Gomez Score" twitter handle...
I was DMing with "DK_turnover" who more people are following now on Twitter. Dude states that DK filed a DMCA notice with twitter to get his avatar and header removed from twitter. I just checked, and it looks like turnover has a new avatar up now.

While technically correct I guess in that he modified his logo, but what a thin skinned thing for DK to do....wow. I guess the rumors about DK ARE true.
MisterCrash

Post by MisterCrash »

I would do that too though. Can't have false accounts using YOUR GRAPHICS.

Smart business.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

MisterCrash wrote:I would do that too though. Can't have false accounts using YOUR GRAPHICS.

Smart business.
I think he was more displeased that someone is making fun of his employee turnover and the person doing it is now followed by some local anti-Dejan media members.
pensfan16
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by pensfan16 »

In one word Garbage!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

So, the ultimate crap just hit the fan moment......Josh Yohe just resigned from DK Sports, and is going to work with Seth Rorabaugh on something. Seth currently works for PHWA (Professional Hockey Writers Association).

Bummed that I just renewed last month. Too much turnover for me, among other changes I am not liking with DK's site.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

It appears Seth and Yohe are headed to James Mirtle's endeavor, the athletic. Obviously that will be heavy on Canadian influence. I like the focus on the local, which is what dejan gives.
For these virtual newspapers, all employees take on the role of sales. Getting the subscriptions, some want no part. I think some folks get overly pumped up about themselves based on readers comments. Just my opinion.

Dave Molinari covering PSU is just wrong.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

penny lane wrote:It appears Seth and Yohe are headed to James Mirtle's endeavor, the athletic. Obviously that will be heavy on Canadian influence. I like the focus on the local, which is what dejan gives.
For these virtual newspapers, all employees take on the role of sales. Getting the subscriptions, some want no part. I think some folks get overly pumped up about themselves based on readers comments. Just my opinion.

Dave Molinari covering PSU is just wrong.
The Athletic is doing a good job of only opening in select markets where they think the subscriber base can eventually be profitable. Bigger cities, but seeing the success of DK's site let them know Pittsburgh was a possibility.

I'm only a casual Steelers fan at this point, and having only passing interest in the Pirates. Penguins is really the only coverage I care about. As DK's site has grown, the musical chairs of Penguins coverage hasn't sat well with me. In addition, I liked DK's writing on the Penguins, but he floats from team to team. I want to read about the Penguins, but from a writer that I like. I would almost certainly cancel my subscription to DK's site, for instance, if Rob Rossi became the main site writer for Penguins. I just don't care for his style and perspective.

I like Yohe, Mackey, Molinari, Rorabaugh, and, at times DK when he writes hockey. Need to rethink my own subscription.
Brad McEachern

Post by Brad McEachern »

Apparently when Yohe announced he was leaving, he never told DK first

Dejan Kovacevic‏Verified account @Dejan_Kovacevic 5h5 hours ago
Wow, this one hurts. Wishing @JoshYohe_PGH nothing but the best. Congrats on new gig, massive pay increase and everything. Had no idea. :( – at DKPittsburghSports.com

Dejan Kovacevic‏Verified account @Dejan_Kovacevic 4h4 hours ago
We pay our staff at a level with any major media outlet in the country. But we can’t compete with burning seed money on six-figure salaries.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Brad McEachern wrote:Apparently when Yohe announced he was leaving, he never told DK first

Dejan Kovacevic‏Verified account @Dejan_Kovacevic 5h5 hours ago
Wow, this one hurts. Wishing @JoshYohe_PGH nothing but the best. Congrats on new gig, massive pay increase and everything. Had no idea. :( – at DKPittsburghSports.com

Dejan Kovacevic‏Verified account @Dejan_Kovacevic 4h4 hours ago
We pay our staff at a level with any major media outlet in the country. But we can’t compete with burning seed money on six-figure salaries.
Actually, he emailed DK about 5 minutes before tweeting it out.

Check this out for a laugh (enough of a laugh that even DK liked this tweet):

https://twitter.com/cryingbaseball/stat ... 1639747584
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

They made a new hire today...will she last a year? Anyone?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Mark Madden‏ @MarkMaddenX Oct 1

Just confirmed: The Athletic had 1-on-1 with Sid last week. @mirtle killed story, saying it was "tone deaf" b/c Sid going to White House.
This site also debut an article on Mario... open letter
The Athletic‏Verified account @TheAthleticCLE Sep 29

An open letter to Mario Lemieux by @MAGodin https://theathletic.com/113464/2017/09/ ... o-lemieux/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #Penguins #NHL
:thumbdown:
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

penny lane wrote:
Mark Madden‏ @MarkMaddenX Oct 1

Just confirmed: The Athletic had 1-on-1 with Sid last week. @mirtle killed story, saying it was "tone deaf" b/c Sid going to White House.
This site also debut an article on Mario... open letter
The Athletic‏Verified account @TheAthleticCLE Sep 29

An open letter to Mario Lemieux by @MAGodin https://theathletic.com/113464/2017/09/ ... o-lemieux/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #Penguins #NHL
:thumbdown:
To be fair James Mirtle responded that the story will run as planned. On DK, his retweets and tweets on The Athletic is leaving a sour taste in my mouth - I just re-upped for 3 more years right before Yohe left, but the way DK is acting seems childish and unprofessional - hoping this new hockey writer is as good as advertised.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I didn't know because Mirtle blocked me on twitter~peace loving me. Just because I wrote he was a flyer fan.

I'll wait to see how the athletic progresses before buying.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Has anyone switched from DK to The Athletic, and have any feedback? Or not a former DK subscriber, but signed up for The Athletic? 90% of the reason I signed up for DK's site was for hockey coverage. Sure, I'll occassionaly take a peek at the Steelers or Pirates stuff, but I am mainly there for hockey information.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of DK's current hockey coverage. No offense to Sara or Katie, but Josh, Mackey, and even Seth when he was there, have been around the team for quite some time. Not only did I like their coverage, but the bits and pieces that came out in Friday Insider and Tuesday Takes was great too. Yohe seemed to talk to Rutherford on a weekly or every other week, even during the offseason. Sara and Katie both seem like great writers/reporters, but it also seems that since they are new to covering the team, they have to work on just building relationships up with players. I don't feel like I am getting nearly the same level of hockey info since Yohe left, and I hate the stupid Daily Grind.

</whining>
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

FLPensFan wrote: Sara and Katie both seem like great writers/reporters, but it also seems that since they are new to covering the team, they have to work on just building relationships up with players. I don't feel like I am getting nearly the same level of hockey info since Yohe left, and I hate the stupid Daily Grind.

</whining>
That's because you are not getting the same coverage!!! How DK feels putting 2 people on the Pens beat with so little experience that he expects people to want to continue? Civian spends time retweeting anti-Trump stuff, and Brown seems more interested in taking pictures of her daily coffee because you know that is what us fans really want to see.

Note to DK: drop the Penn State, WVU coverage and pay a little more money and yank Molinari from his PG hell assignment.
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

FLPensFan wrote:Has anyone switched from DK to The Athletic, and have any feedback? Or not a former DK subscriber, but signed up for The Athletic? 90% of the reason I signed up for DK's site was for hockey coverage. Sure, I'll occassionaly take a peek at the Steelers or Pirates stuff, but I am mainly there for hockey information.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of DK's current hockey coverage. No offense to Sara or Katie, but Josh, Mackey, and even Seth when he was there, have been around the team for quite some time. Not only did I like their coverage, but the bits and pieces that came out in Friday Insider and Tuesday Takes was great too. Yohe seemed to talk to Rutherford on a weekly or every other week, even during the offseason. Sara and Katie both seem like great writers/reporters, but it also seems that since they are new to covering the team, they have to work on just building relationships up with players. I don't feel like I am getting nearly the same level of hockey info since Yohe left, and I hate the stupid Daily Grind.

</whining>
I'm a subscriber of both (I had subscribed to The Athletic way prior to the PIT version for the leaguewide NHL coverage). I find myself barely ever going to DK any more for hockey articles. I originally subscribed there for Yohe, and I agree that Yohe, Mackey and Seth were much better than the current version and the Daily Grind & the Daily Fun Thing are dumb. I also don't like how if you disagree with DK, you're wrong and he has deleted my comments in the past (not anything worthy of deleting) because I disagreed with him.

When subscription renewals are due, I'll re-up with The Athletic, likely not with DK.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

ShipHockey7 wrote: I also don't like how if you disagree with DK, you're wrong and he has deleted my comments in the past (not anything worthy of deleting) because I disagreed with him.
My buddy and him got into a back and forth on the comments on DK's site. DK eventually emailed my buddy at the email address he registered with at the site with and told him to "not embarrass himself" any longer on the board. Why he would do that?

Meanwhile, my buddy didn't say anything derogatory about him, his staff etc. It was a point of contention of a reporter's job and apparently DK didn't like to be corrected with video evidence that he was wrong.

The gist I get is that DK has a HUGE ego and that is why he has had such turnover. Yet, he wants enough of your money to have you pay for a subscription and get hockey coverage from a 24 yr old recent college grad and another girl who begged on her instagram to move to Pittsburgh. So, DK hired them both cheap I'm assuming.