Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

When we were in Spain, we took a cooking class that included a paella. Since we were in Barcelona, it was made in the local style, with a mix of chicken (excellent) seafood. I was on rice duty while everyone else was assembling the rest of the meal. I asked the chef instructor about doing a more Valencian style (where the rice is cooked a bit harder so it forms a sticky crust on the bottom layer), he looked at me sideways. He was like, "This is called 'Cook & Taste Barcelona', not 'Cook & Taste Some Other Place'".
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Well, sure... if you want to strictly stick to tradition, then fine. But isn't cooking constantly changing? Strong foundations in the old combined with flashes of the new, or at the very least a new twist on an old favorite. I would think that you, out of anyone here, would be okay with straying a bit away from tradition and trying new things or twists.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

So your ability to push people around in the kitchen has no cultural borders? Check.

;)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I'm all for trying new things. If there's one unifying theme about my participation in this thread, it's that I want people to try new stuff, be it techniques or methods or ingredients or entire dishes. My comment is solely stemming from the fact that I do not think pineapple with Spanish chorizo would make a very good combination. The amount of pimentón you use would also be a factor; I have a heavy hand with it. I'm also wary of using pineapple with land critter proteins because it has an enzyme that breaks down their structure and can make the texture gross. (I learned that the hard way last summer, when I left two skirt steaks in a pineapple-based marinade too long and they ended up looking like Toxic Waste Guy from 'RoboCop'.)

While I'm not shy about trying new things, I also think tradition has its place.

And I say this as someone who actually likes the flavor of 'Hawaiian pizza'..... but also one who will not ever order it. :lol:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:And I say this as someone who actually likes the flavor of 'Hawaiian pizza'..... but also one who will not ever order it. :lol:
Dude. Pineapple anchovy. You'll love it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Haluski in the Wall Street Journal

http://www.wsj.com/articles/haluski-recipe-1424960933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Nice.

Love the related article: "Is There Anything Better Than a Plate of Buttery Egg Noodles?"
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Pan searing a steak with thyme...anyone (tif) done it?

I'm pretty sure you put the leaves in the hot oil in the pan and then quickly wipe them over the meat to transfer the flavor.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

shmenguin wrote:Pan searing a steak with thyme...anyone (tif) done it?

I'm pretty sure you put the leaves in the hot oil in the pan and then quickly wipe them over the meat to transfer the flavor.
Okay, the way to do this is to baste. Cook the steak to about 85% of your preferred doneness via whatever method you prefer. Then put it in a hot pan on the stove top with a lot of butter (like 3 Tbs) and whatever fresh herbs you like (I, too, prefer thyme for this application) and a smashed clove of garlic. As soon as the butter melts, begin spooning it over the steak; you'll want to do it in a more or less constant stream butter-steak-butter-steak-butter-steak, etc for about 2 minutes or so. Flip the steak, repeat. That should get you to your perfectly med-rare steaky goodness.

If you have a Netflix account, seek out the PBS series 'Mind Of A Chef'. Go to Se 1, Ep 12, "Fresh"..... the last 7-8 minutes is David Chang and Tien Ho (once one of his most trusted chefs, they've since parted ways) cooking various cuts of steak. Tien does a fantastic job of demonstrating the basting technique on a dry aged porterhouse.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

And just to show c2i how not like a stick-in-the-mud I am, here's last night's dinner:

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

I looked up a recipe to make a shopping list, found a John Besh goodie. He said, "All you need is good chicken and good sausage." So I took that and ran with it; in addition to the requisite Andouille, the market I was at had merguez (spicy African lamb sausage) and linguiça (Portuguese smoked pork sausage). So that went into the jambalaya, too. Along with that super smokey Allan Benton's bacon I got last week. There is no possible way this could have been bad. And it will probably be better today, with the leftovers having sat together overnight.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

tifosi77 wrote:And just to show c2i how not like a stick-in-the-mud I am, here's last night's dinner:

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

I looked up a recipe to make a shopping list, found a John Besh goodie. He said, "All you need is good chicken and good sausage." So I took that and ran with it; in addition to the requisite Andouille, the market I was at had merguez (spicy African lamb sausage) and linguiça (Portuguese smoked pork sausage). So that went into the jambalaya, too. Along with that super smokey Allan Benton's bacon I got last week. There is no possible way this could have been bad. And it will probably be better today, with the leftovers having sat together overnight.
Pfft. Your dish needs crawdads
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Not a fan of putting crawfish in jambalaya with sausage; they have a very mild flavor that tends to get masked. If I do mudbugs, they'll be alone or only with chicken.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Tangentially related; my wife came up to visit last weekend to WI. I took her around to the local butchers (with an s) and showed her the great selection of meats they have here. We basically traded an immense amount of seafood selection from coastal NC for quality butchers. In NC we didn't have a single actual butcher, just supermarket meat sections. The Mennonite butcher here is similar to Bardine's in Crabtree, so good.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tifosi77 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Pan searing a steak with thyme...anyone (tif) done it?

Okay, the way to do this is to baste. Cook the steak to about 85% of your preferred doneness via whatever method you prefer. Then put it in a hot pan on the stove top with a lot of butter (like 3 Tbs) and whatever fresh herbs you like (I, too, prefer thyme for this application) and a smashed clove of garlic. As soon as the butter melts, begin spooning it over the steak; you'll want to do it in a more or less constant stream butter-steak-butter-steak-butter-steak, etc for about 2 minutes or so. Flip the steak, repeat. That should get you to your perfectly med-rare steaky goodness.

If you have a Netflix account, seek out the PBS series 'Mind Of A Chef'. Go to Se 1, Ep 12, "Fresh"..... the last 7-8 minutes is David Chang and Tien Ho (once one of his most trusted chefs, they've since parted ways) cooking various cuts of steak. Tien does a fantastic job of demonstrating the basting technique on a dry aged porterhouse.
So...freeze, sear, bake (partly), sear + baste?

The basting needs to be 2 minutes so should I not have the pan screaming hot for that part?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yes.

Alternatively, if you want to try one of those improvised sous vide methods I've talked about you can just sear the steak, put it in a bag with butter and thyme, then cook it in the water bath for 40 minutes or whatever, then re-sear (minus basting step). That would accomplish the same thing. (And that's pretty much how I do it now)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Ok now I definitely need a sous vide thingy
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Homemade chicken noodle soup. So easy, so delicious.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

columbia wrote:Haluski in the Wall Street Journal

http://www.wsj.com/articles/haluski-recipe-1424960933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never had noodle haluski before and never plan to. My grandmother has always made what I assume to be the Czech/Slovak version of haluski, which uses potato dumplings and is vastly superior to the poverty Polish pasta haluski.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Weird. My grandma made the same thing, but without the condescension.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

dodint wrote:Weird. My grandma made the same thing, but without the condescension.
You're missing out. The condescension is the best part.

My grandmother is Czech and my grandfather was Polish. Every meal in their house was Polish except for the haluski.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
columbia wrote:Haluski in the Wall Street Journal

Never had noodle haluski before and never plan to. My grandmother has always made what I assume to be the Czech/Slovak version of haluski, which uses potato dumplings and is vastly superior to the poverty Polish pasta haluski.
You're out of your mind. Nothing beats bowties, cabbage, butter and olive oil.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

tifosi77 wrote:Yes.

Alternatively, if you want to try one of those improvised sous vide methods I've talked about you can just sear the steak, put it in a bag with butter and thyme, then cook it in the water bath for 40 minutes or whatever, then re-sear (minus basting step). That would accomplish the same thing. (And that's pretty much how I do it now)
Basting went well, but my beautiful flank steak had a thin piece of gristle in its center running the entire length of the meat. Super disappointing. Ruined the texture.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Anyone try any of Brunch @ Bobby's recipes? There's a couple I'm eyeing up.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Doing 2 flat irons tonight with some garlic parmesean potatos. Can't wait.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm finally making my Eggs Benedict tonight. Really excited. Wanted to do it yesterday but didn't have the lemon juice.