Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by shmenguin »

Leftover carnitas...made a hash with potatoes, onions, eggs and a pinch or 12 of salt.

It was spectacular.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

First, regardless of whether the kitchen is open or not, airborne germs are going to fly onto your food (and you as well) as soon as the food enters the dining room. So I think that's probably a wash. Second, I should think the open kitchen might be better from a germ standpoint, because you can see the chefs and they know it. So the guys on the line in an open kitchen might be more sensitive about doing stuff like picking their noses or scratching their butts, whereas in a closed kitchen they can pick and scratch in concealed comfort.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

tifosi77 wrote:That's almost as batty as saying that atheists are antisemitic by default.
I literally came directly to this thread to get away from the conversation. **** hell.

Anyway,
dodint wrote:Also, tomorrow I'm going to give this Apple and Horseradish-Glazed Salmon recipe a shot. It's not technically hard by any stretch but it's the first time I'm making it and I really hope it turns out well. Going to enjoy it with a home made tomato soup my wife left for me in the freezer.
I made this tonight and it was really good. For a meal that took about 10 minutes of actually cooking it delivered nicely. I want to make it again with higher quality salmon, but other than that it was excellent. The flavor is what is so great about it. The glaze comes in sweet, then the horseradish clears your nostrils, and it goes back to sweet. Really a great sensation. While it's baking it smells like good Chinese takeout.

I quit dining out cold turkey on the 22nd (and am only drinking water) and finding stuff like this really helps with that. I've started losing weight and more importantly I feel so much better. Also trying to cook with chicken breast more, need to get some ideas.

I'm okay with open kitchens for the reason Shyster said, not that I think many people screw with food. I was a cook at ENP for years and can honestly say I never saw anything put foreign objects into food. They just enjoyed burning steaks that were sent back.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

This book is considered by many to be the modern bible of paella. The word 'pineapple' appears on exactly two pages, one of which is the index. The one recipe that uses it can be found on page 186 in Chapter 5 "Sweet Paellas", and it is paired with the following ingredients: milk, anisette (liqueur) star anise, cinnamon, lemon zest, raisins, caster sugar, and honey.

As I say, you like what you like; I'm Captain McRib, so I'm in no place to judge. I am merely passing along this information for anyone who might be interested.

:wink:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I've moved past that discussion. :lol: I like what I like. I've had pineapple in my paella, I've had pineapple in my fried rice, loved them both. Don't like it? Cool... don't do it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Hey, maybe you're on to something; the Spanish might have been doing it wrong all these years. :lol:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I.... don't.... care....
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I think I've posted before that I don't like the open kitchen idea specifically because I don't want to see how anything is being made. I just don't like thinking about it. Latex gloves are sort of a phobia of mine I think, and I would be completely grossed out seeing someone scratch their face.

I prefer blissful ignorance.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

It's neo-modernist South Pacific fusion paella. And if it tastes good to him, more power to him, but I see tif has already mentioned that's what it's about anyway.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I haven't ventured much in this thread...but does someone have a reasonably easy Indian dish that has the potential to be family friendly?

I love all kinds of food, but I live with people with unsophisticated palates...so I don't get to eat "exotic" very often.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'd imagine the easiest would be chicken tikka masala as far as a crowd pleaser goes... all sorts of recipes online for it. Find one that you'd have to buy minimal indian spices for as if you're not sure your family would like it, then there's no reason to have a crapload of indian spices in your cabinet. also, make sure you read recipe reviews. often times there are suggestions on making the dish better that many people agree on.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

this tikka masala recipe is delicious.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/37802/chick ... asala.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Self cleaning oven: remove the racks?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It probably varies from manufacturer to manufacturer - even model to model - but I have always thought you were supposed to empty the oven completely.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

what say ye of this contraption? set to temperature and it will text you when it's done

http://cindercooks.com/index.html
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I was on board until I saw the price. um no thanks
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:what say ye of this contraption? set to temperature and it will text you when it's done

i'd consider it, but my big question would be if the temperature of the searing surface can drop enough to keep the meat on it during the baking. i think i saw that it can caramelize onions, which is a giant thumbs up
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Homemade gnocchi, lamb shank, and a poached egg. I never really thought that I liked gnocchi, but I guess I just never had it well made. This was delicious.

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

eddysnake wrote:what say ye of this contraption? set to temperature and it will text you when it's done

Far too expensive. That costs 50% more than my two immersion circulators combined.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

count2infinity wrote:Homemade gnocchi, lamb shank, and a poached egg. I never really thought that I liked gnocchi, but I guess I just never had it well made. This was delicious.

High five, dude. Looks awesome.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Agreed, jealous.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

The lamb shank is left over from the pasta I posted a month or two ago. Freezes incredibly well. This was the 3rd use out of the two shanks. Original pasta, nachos and then gnocchi. Just throw the pulled meat into a freezer bag.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

I made a flourless chocolate cake this evening topped with homemade whipped cream and fresh raspberries. I used this recipe from Real Simple courtesy of google. http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/ ... olate-cake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was extremely pleased with the results. I thought that the flavor and texture was exactly what I was looking for when paired with Founder's Blushing Monk. I definitely plan to repeat the concept of using the creme fraiche in the whipped cream. The flavor and texture was perfect and it held it's shape beautifully. Obviously this style isn't ideal for all applications but I can definitely see some places I will use it in the future (ie chocolate cake, coffee cake, mousse, etc.).
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had a skirt steak, onion, red pepper stir fry tonight cooked with bacon fat. It wasn't at all overwhelming, but you could definitely taste the difference (from peanut/coconut oil).
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

columbia wrote:I had a skirt steak, onion, red pepper stir fry tonight cooked with bacon fat. It wasn't at all overwhelming, but you could definitely taste the difference (from peanut/coconut oil).
i don't really taste the bacon when i use it, but there's definitely an added level of richness to the flavor. a nice, "coat your stomach" type of thing.