Re: ¡EBOLA! Warz Game Summary and Write-Up

Post by Crankshaft »

lol
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Your mechanism killed 3 people in one day and the game slammed to a stop. I offer a slow down safety valve and get "Durr, gonna do the opposite."

What do you want from me? It's your game, do what you want. Just wish I didn't bother trying to help.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

We're already taking measures to prevent that. No need to get all defensive because I didn't like your idea.

People were killed in quick succession because 1) I was limiting myself to 5 different phases lengths. This compacted everything into shorter times, which meant a shorter game and 2) you guys put the only person who could save you into quarantine.

Adding amother angel, lengthening the interval in which I ran the random.org, and implementing a few tweaks to the already existing quarantine system should solve it.

Tweaks I had in mind for the quarantine:

1. If you're infected and quarantined, you die in quarantine. Technically I should never have let rel out.

2. The angels, along with their vaccine for the night, will have a chance to cure players in quarantine. It'll be like the cure random.org I posted in the write-up itself. 1-3 will = no effect, 4-6 will = partial effect (perhaps a limited duration of the cure before reverting to infected status), and 7-9 will = fully cured until another player infects.

3. Perhaps most important, I will let the village know what the status of the player they are putting into quarantine is. I will say if they're villager, infected, CDC, or Patient Zero. That way, when the player's come back, there is less confusion.

I just don't see a need to drastically change the whole process of the game. I think what we have right now is solid foundation. We just need to build the house around it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

At any rate, this game was pretty much meant to be a test run of our concept. We don't blame people for not knowing what was going on because it truly was a complete departure from what most people expect out of a Warz game.

With the (primarily) positive response we've gotten in regards to the overall concept of the game, we (or I guess I should say "I") don't really feel a need to throw the whole thing away and start from scratch.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

redwill wrote:I was disappointed when we infected obhave and she died immediately.

Disappointed for her, sure, because she, y'know, died from ebola, but also for me because she was of no use.

But more disappointed for her. True story. ... Or not really.

The point being that the random element was a tiny bit of an equalizer.
Thanks? :lol:

I actually started to figure out what was going on, or at least a general idea, but died right away.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

How would the mods have reacted had the infectees taken down redwill?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

There was no specific ban on the infectees doing that, just "Your goal is to help spread the infection." I suppose they could truly think they were helping the spread by outing me and taking over.

The thing was, though, that by the time SDD was thinking of doing that, there were six infectees, though SDD didn't know that. So if the new Patient Zero was randomly chosen amongst those, chances were good that SDD would not be the new PZ.

As for me, I just would have gone into quarantine and my death clock would have started. I don't know if the death clock would have stopped for the new PZ.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

It was just a difficult game to catch on to. The write-ups provided very little information, so there really was no story to catch on to. By the time things started happening to people, they couldn't really say anything.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

One of the other reasons I delayed was because I had been siding with slappy the day before and for me to suddenly vote for him would be a little suspect, I figured I'd wait until we were close to the limit. By that time I realized that most of the village was infected and trying to take over would have been pointless and would have only prolonged the game.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Crankshaft wrote:It was just a difficult game to catch on to. The write-ups provided very little information, so there really was no story to catch on to. By the time things started happening to people, they couldn't really say anything.
Yeah. I posted my thoughts as soon as I had the inkling that the spread was vote-related, and wound up getting infected that day. As it turned out, most of the village was already infected at that point anyway.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

MRandall25 wrote:Quarantine should not be an auto cure. That's what the angel(s) would have been for. It would prolong the game too much to the point where people would stop caring because it never would end.

Quarantine is there to potentially stop the disease from spreading. If anything, quarantine should have been an auto kill for any infected players who entered it.
I think that is more appropriate. Quarantine should either result in infected player dead at end of quarantine, or non-infected player coming back at end. But I think it important not to reveal that until the end of the quarantine period.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Awesome concept for a game. I can sense a Resident Evil port of this.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

And perhaps a spy-based theme, where you recruit defectors through the infection mechanism.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

You inject them with a truth serum, meaning they have to tell the truth even in the day if asked by the village if they were injected with truth serum.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

This thread took a super bizarre turn