Penguins 2017-2018 Injury Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Penguins 2017-2018 Injury Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

From Mackey's chat today, it sure sounds like Aston-Reese is unlikely to play again before the regular season ends. I haven't seen this publicly stated, but he alluded to it once or twice in his chat that ZAR is unlikely to get in another game before the end of the regular season.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

So not a concussion for ZAR? Something actually worse?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Great58 wrote:So not a concussion for ZAR? Something actually worse?
I would not expect that it's a concussion. There's no way, right off the bat, you can know that a concussion is going to keep you out X number of games. It's probably more likely a shoulder or upper extremity injury where there's a clear time table for recovery.

I'm "glad" he's hurt and they're not purposefully scratching him. He looks like a legit NHL player to me. I think he's going to make an impact in the playoffs.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Rust has a concussion.
Simon week to week with lower body injury.
Aston-Reese making progress.

Murray took controlled shots today.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

While technically not a NHL level injury, in reading an Athletic article about Oleksiak today, I saw Seth snuck in some tidbits at the bottom about injuries (Simon,Rust, ZAR), and mentioned that Frank Corrado was seen in Cranberry at the practice facility with crutches and a brace on his left knee. According to a team source, he is out for the season after undergoing knee surgery (no word whether major or minor)

Just a note there on Penguins defense depth, as he was probably next up after Hunwick.
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by longtimefan »

FLPensFan wrote:While technically not a NHL level injury, in reading an Athletic article about Oleksiak today, I saw Seth snuck in some tidbits at the bottom about injuries (Simon,Rust, ZAR), and mentioned that Frank Corrado was seen in Cranberry at the practice facility with crutches and a brace on his left knee. According to a team source, he is out for the season after undergoing knee surgery (no word whether major or minor)

Just a note there on Penguins defense depth, as he was probably next up after Hunwick.
That's a shame. He was the RH guy among all the guys in WBS.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

longtimefan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:While technically not a NHL level injury, in reading an Athletic article about Oleksiak today, I saw Seth snuck in some tidbits at the bottom about injuries (Simon,Rust, ZAR), and mentioned that Frank Corrado was seen in Cranberry at the practice facility with crutches and a brace on his left knee. According to a team source, he is out for the season after undergoing knee surgery (no word whether major or minor)

That's a shame. He was the RH guy among all the guys in WBS.
Yeah. Looked definitely like they had him pegged as first up from among the kids.

Thanks for keeping up this thread FLPF :fist:
longtimefan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by longtimefan »

Rowney is out longer term, and Murray was a full participant today. ZAR also took the ice after practice in a non-contact jersey. I'm very anxious to see where he fits into the lineup. I'll also be glad when Murray is in net again.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

Probably to start, I would expect Aston-Reese to join Sheahan and Kuhnhackl on the fourth line. But he could easily move up the lineup either to the third or first line with Rust and Sheary or Guentzel shifting.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

With a fully healthy roster I’d try this to balance out the lines:

ZAR-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Horny
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Khunhackl-Sheahan-Rust

First signs of trouble swap Rust and Sheary, maybe work Simon in someplace on the 4th but those are 4 potentially really good lines.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Would definitely like to see Guentzel-Brass-Kessel as the 3rd line and ZAR up on line 1.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

DelPen wrote:With a fully healthy roster I’d try this to balance out the lines:

ZAR-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Horny
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Khunhackl-Sheahan-Rust

First signs of trouble swap Rust and Sheary, maybe work Simon in someplace on the 4th but those are 4 potentially really good lines.
I think that's probably their ideal top 12, in some combination. There will likely be tweaks before we get to the playoffs, and the lines will change a bit as the playoffs progress. Probably the only definite constants are going to be Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, and Sheahan down the middle.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

Bryan Rust is an above average bottom-6 forward.

Bryan Rust is a below average top-6 forward.

He works on those top two lines in a pinch, but man does he really shine when he gets third line minutes and matchups. That Brassard-Kessel-Rust line is just starting to click - why pull it apart?
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Whether you want to call Rust a top six or bottom six player is irrelevant, just give the guy minutes in the playoffs since he has a history of scoring some big goals when it counts.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

I don’t think there’s a difference between Rust being a “top six” player or his current role. There’s nothing that magically makes the current third line not top six quality. Rust is a good player. He’s not necessarily going to produce a ton on his own, but he’s a great support guy playing an elite talent like Malkin or Kessel. He’s on a 50 point pace this season.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Henry Hank wrote:Probably to start, I would expect Aston-Reese to join Sheahan and Kuhnhackl on the fourth line. But he could easily move up the lineup either to the third or first line with Rust and Sheary or Guentzel shifting.
So just not the second... okay, good tip. Don't cross the streams people. Thanks Egon!
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Jim wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Probably to start, I would expect Aston-Reese to join Sheahan and Kuhnhackl on the fourth line. But he could easily move up the lineup either to the third or first line with Rust and Sheary or Guentzel shifting.
So just not the second... okay, good tip. Don't cross the streams people. Thanks Egon!
Just a reflection on Geno's recent excellent play with his current line mates. Better stated would be: when healthy ZAR could slot up or down the lineup as needed. :lol:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Simon and ZAR back at morning skate, looks like Jooris going back down and Simon is probably playing:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheary-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Simon
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:Simon and ZAR back at morning skate, looks like Jooris going back down and Simon is probably playing:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheary-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Simon
I'll be more excited when ZAR is able to slot back in.