George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:yeah, varys is a good example of where the show improves the book. not every departure is a clusterf***. HBO improved the red wedding, the altered arya/hound story was great, podrick is better on the show...there are probably a few more i'm forgetting. they have some whiffs, but their success rate is decent. better than george rr's in the last decade.
Every single second spent in Harrenhall was better.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

So yeah... the third Mountain is pretty strong:

[youtube][/youtube]
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

So I just went on Youtube to watch the trailer for the upcoming season and scrolled down through the comments a bit, and it shouldn't be surprising, but wow, there are some crazy people out there. There's a ton of people complaining vociferously that Stannis is the better ruler and Danaerys (sp?) is terrible. I'm sure they're way more concerned with who ultimately gets the throne in Westeros than who wins the US election in 2016.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Well it doesnt matter in the slightest who wins the US election, so thats not that strange.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

the wicked child wrote:So yeah... the third Mountain is pretty strong:

[youtube][/youtube]
He was awesome at the 2014 World's Strongest Man competition. Came in 2nd by half a point after a disappointing performance in the squat competition.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

yeah but can he crush in a man's skull with his bare hands?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:yeah but can he crush in a man's skull with his bare hands?
My half-serious response would be, if he had no remorse, he probably could if he didn't hold back in the slightest.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

That promo poster...
Spoiler:
Besides being awesome if they cut to the chase and change basically the entire course of events in Dance with Dragons this could be better than anything Martin as written so far.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Not gonna lie... I was pretty fired up when i saw that poster.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Titles of the first 4 episodes have supposedly been leaked:
Spoiler:
Episode 5.01 - The Wars to Come
Episode 5.02 - The House of Black and White
Episode 5.03 - High Sparrow
Episode 5.04 - The Sons Of The Harpy
Also apparent synopses for the first 3:
Spoiler:
-- Episode #41: “The Wars to Come”: Cersei and Jaime adjust to a world without Tywin. Varys reveals a conspiracy to Tyrion. Dany faces a new threat to her rule. Jon is caught between two kings. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, GV, N] ESP Playdates: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 24

-- Episode #42: “The House of Black and White”: Arya arrives in Braavos. Pod and Brienne run into trouble on the road. Cersei fears for her daughter’s safety in Dorne as Ellaria Sand seeks revenge for Oberyn’s death. Stannis tempts Jon. An adviser tempts Dany. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.) (TVMA) [AC, AL, V] ESP Playdates: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25

-- Episode #43: “High Sparrow”: In Braavos, Arya sees the Many-Faced God. In King’s Landing, Queen Margaery enjoys her new husband. Tyrion and Varys walk the Long Bridge of Volantis. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Mark Mylod.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, GV, N] ESP Playdates: 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Rewatching the series in anticipation of season five.

Bronn is so good.

Ros>>>
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I've done that for previous seasons... I'm not sure I'm going to be able to swing it this time around. I do want to at least rewatch a few episodes of S4 though.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I am sensing a lot of changes to streamline and combined Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. It's good because there is a lot of crap. It's bad because if Martin left out the stupid crap we would have all 7 books done by now.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:Titles of the first 4 episodes have supposedly been leaked:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
-- Episode #41: “The Wars to Come”: Cersei and Jaime adjust to a world without Tywin. Varys reveals a conspiracy to Tyrion. Dany faces a new threat to her rule. Jon is caught between two kings. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, GV, N] ESP Playdates: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 24

-- Episode #42: “The House of Black and White”: Arya arrives in Braavos. Pod and Brienne run into trouble on the road. Cersei fears for her daughter’s safety in Dorne as Ellaria Sand seeks revenge for Oberyn’s death. Stannis tempts Jon. An adviser tempts Dany. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michael Slovis.) (TVMA) [AC, AL, V] ESP Playdates: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25

-- Episode #43: “High Sparrow”: In Braavos, Arya sees the Many-Faced God. In King’s Landing, Queen Margaery enjoys her new husband. Tyrion and Varys walk the Long Bridge of Volantis. (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Mark Mylod.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, GV, N] ESP Playdates: 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30
So Episode 43:
Spoiler:
Volantis is waaaayyyyy the **** after Tyrion wakes up in Pentos and after he meets Griff and Aegon. If they are just a plot device then wow. I suppose They will meet up with Jorah there but where they go from there, who knows?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Mostly pretty cool, but that Dany quote is no less cringe-worthy than the first trailer.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Man, season 2 is so good. Not even at Blackwater yet.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Titles of the first 4 episodes have supposedly been leaked:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

So Episode 43:
Spoiler:
Volantis is waaaayyyyy the **** after Tyrion wakes up in Pentos and after he meets Griff and Aegon. If they are just a plot device then wow. I suppose They will meet up with Jorah there but where they go from there, who knows?
Spoiler:
Yeah... I mean this is the kind of thing that the show will "spoil" for the books. The apparent exclusion of Aegon seems to point to him either being fake, or simply not "necessary" for the endgame.

That said... I'd still rather see the story play out than waiting 20 years for the books.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

In the new trailer, was that clever editing of Tyrion looking up and seeing Drogon or did he actually pass overhead while they were on the ship to what I'm guessing is Volantis?
Spoiler:
This season might make Feast and Dance look like total **** which would be great.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i'm not sure what the big hook is going to be for this season. i'm concerned it's going to be a lot of filler or just not that interesting...like the source material at this point.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

shmenguin wrote:i'm not sure what the big hook is going to be for this season. i'm concerned it's going to be a lot of filler or just not that interesting...like the source material at this point.
I think that's why they're starting to cut from the books and I guess start adding new stuff in? I haven't read the books, but based on people's comments it seems like if they faithfully follow the books at this point then the audience might be taking a lot of naps.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I kind of like that I don't know exactly what is coming... Instead of waiting for some big event to happen, I can just enjoy the show as it happens, which hasn't been the case since the first season.

I mean there arw certain things I suspect we are going to see, but everything else is up in the air.

Time will tell if it's more interesting than this part of the books.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

north-wise...seems like they're building up a big stannis/bolton conflict. i'm on board. the wildling stuff needs to get resolved right away, though.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:north-wise...seems like they're building up a big stannis/bolton conflict. i'm on board. the wildling stuff needs to get resolved right away, though.
Pretty sure everything they showed int he trailer were from the first three episodes.
Spoiler:
Even in the books, stuff at the wall is direct and to the point so I don't see them dragging things on more than one fight scene to name a new King Beyond the Wall which really ends up being Tormund anyways and they already introduced him early and in a much larger role.

Womder if they will also abandon the White harbor and Rikkon search for now that Davos is still with stannis?