George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

Some speculation on stuff in the trailer. Spoilers of course.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... nsa-badass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So from that link:
Spoiler:
Sansa being in Winterfell is an interesting twist. Gets rid of Jayne Poole, Manderly and White Harbor too which keeps Davos in the North with Stannis. Not sure how often the Bolton's and others visited Winterfell but Theon would really be the only person to know Sansa well or Litte Finger could to the ultimate heel turn and give Sansa over to Ramsey since I don't think him and Varys are or ever have been on the same team so making a strong North helps his cause.

In the books, her story arc is completely done as she leaves the Vale so they need something for her to do.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

anyone have a good podcast for Game of Thrones, can discuss both show and books, that someone who is a fan of the Talking Dead podcast would enjoy?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I haven't really shopped around so to speak, but there is a BLAH (boiled leather audio hour) podcast that I've listened to from time to time.

http://boiledleather.com/tagged/podcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for reference.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:So from that link:
Spoiler:
Sansa being in Winterfell is an interesting twist. Gets rid of Jayne Poole, Manderly and White Harbor too which keeps Davos in the North with Stannis. Not sure how often the Bolton's and others visited Winterfell but Theon would really be the only person to know Sansa well or Litte Finger could to the ultimate heel turn and give Sansa over to Ramsey since I don't think him and Varys are or ever have been on the same team so making a strong North helps his cause.

In the books, her story arc is completely done as she leaves the Vale so they need something for her to do.
Spoiler:
Yeah, this is definitely different... It might explain why Miranda looks pretty unhappy in that short clip... if Ramsay is being married to someone else she isn't going to be very happy. Hell, they hunted down that girl last season and fed her to the dogs because she made Miranda jealous.

I think it's more likely that the "marriage" is a ruse to get Sansa close enough to get revenge on the Boltons. I think LF wants her because she reminds him of Catelyn... and what better way to get her on your side than to allow her to get revenge on the people who betrayed her brother/mother? Not to mention that LF himself probably wants to see them dead for killing Cat.

The more I talk about it, the more I'm convinced that is what is going to happen. LF gets Sansa a chance at revenge, and possibly reclaiming Winterfell... knowing the North will rally behind a Stark...

If you think about it, this is another way of getting to what he talks about in the book... marrying her off to... Harry the heir was it? Don't remember... but he talked about "her" getting Winterfell back and such (and asked for a kiss in return). Yes, this is eliminating a few characters from the North and the Vale stories, but ultimately would head towards the same end... control of the Vale and the North.

If I'm on the right track here, these are the kind of changes that would streamline the story for the show and still hit the end goal... probably in a more satisfying manner than what will happen in the books. Sansa/LF being the ones to get the revenge on the Boltons would be a bigger emotional win than Manderly and co... and we don't need to bring in a bunch of characters no one remembers or cares about.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Will be interesting to see what happens there since D&D have been pretty adamant about wanting to do 7 seasons. I can understand since it is basically their life year round right now.

I just hope that they don't approach it like there will be 7 and then have HBO say no, we want ten! And then we get a bunch of filler. I'm hoping for the show to trim the fat, not add it.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I could see D&D be amenable to 8 seasons max if necessary, but definitely not 10. I do like the idea of tapping some of GRRM's other Westeros materials. A couple season series about Robert's Rebellion would be pretty awesome.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I wouldn't mind seeing that... After they finish the main story anyway. Don't need the show going Martin on us.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

For sure. GRRM's idea of dealing the main story so he can get caught up with the books can't happen. Finish the main show and take it from there.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I would love a spin off of Bronn's adventures. Seriously.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Small preview video, centered around Varys's speech from the first trailer. Most seen before, a couple glimpses of new stuff.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjQj4BCQSzo[/youtube]
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

GRRM mentioned on his blog that he is canceling some convention appearances this year to continue work on "Son of Kong," aka Winds of Winter. That's good news for book fans.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Probably spoilers galore, but I thought this was a good read.

http://io9.com/5-game-of-thrones-book-p ... 1691715991
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Yeah, major book 4 and 5 spoilers in there. I agree largely with what they're saying.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

quentyn...
Spoiler:
so pointless. so, so pointless.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I have to agree with that article too. Some of those I didn't remember, as they were relatively minor points that didn't really move the plot or story forward. Don't miss the Pyke stuff at all.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

shmenguin wrote:quentyn...
Spoiler:
Oh...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:quentyn...
Spoiler:
yup...
Spoiler:
a plot device to let Dany know she has friends in Dorn and to let the dragons loose.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

A couple shots of the new Myrcella, as well as a couple short clips.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/03/18/ga ... -released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

No surprise, but the show will spoil the books before they are written

http://www.slashfilm.com/game-of-throne ... ing-books/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Good
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Still a bummer. The spoilers will be unavoidable, I probably won't read the rest of the books. Thanks GRRM
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Blech. I'll probably read the books out of obligation but this will suck the excitement out of it.

Though the show barely goes into the fine detail of the flags people are holding, so there's that to look forward to.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Martin's final book will probably come out a decade after the show is over. I'd expect him to change things to a degree just to give people a reason to read the book. God knows there will at least be a 30 page feast in the book that gets omitted from the show.