George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by blackjack68 »

Yep, the flags and the meals... GRRM's version of a school kid that has to write a 250- word essay so he uses "very" and "really" a lot.

I really, really, really like tigers. They are very, very scary.

Bleh.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I made peace with this long ago. Martin has only himself to blame. There will definitely be things which are different in the books... but it will be even more painful to read through chapters about people that ultimately don't matter.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Martin's final book will probably come out a decade after the show is over. I'd expect him to change things to a degree just to give people a reason to read the book. God knows there will at least be a 30 page feast in the book that gets omitted from the show.
That's the reason I couldn't read the books. The silly unneeded detail of every piece of food and every piece of clothing. We get it they had a feast and wore fancy clothes. Get on with it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Martin's final book will probably come out a decade after the show is over. I'd expect him to change things to a degree just to give people a reason to read the book. God knows there will at least be a 30 page feast in the book that gets omitted from the show.
By then whoever takes over for the deceased Martin will hopefully omit those parts of the final book.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Pavel Bure wrote:
That's the reason I couldn't read the books. The silly unneeded detail of every piece of food and every piece of clothing. We get it they had a feast and wore fancy clothes. Get on with it.
I made two attempts at reading "Game of Thrones" and don't think I ever made it to the 100th page. Martin's writing style is too boring and laborious. I like writers that follow some of Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules for Writing.
1. Never open a book with weather.
2. Avoid prologues.
3. Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said”…he admonished gravely.
5. Keep your exclamation points under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose.
6. Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.

My most important rule is one that sums up the 10.

If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I like prologues
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I like prologues and descriptions of everything.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I hope that the descriptions of all the great food will be contrasted further about how much life sucks in the winter and when at war. He's getting there. Westeros sounds like a really bad place to live now.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Dude, the prologue to the first book is the thing that sucked me in. That **** was so intense.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

GSdrums87 wrote:Dude, the prologue to the first book is the thing that sucked me in. That **** was so intense.
yeah, i like his prologues/epilogues. quite a bit.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

GSdrums87 wrote:Dude, the prologue to the first book is the thing that sucked me in. That **** was so intense.
And we haven't had even a taste of it since then...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:
a taste of the intensity? Book 3 was the most intense long-form book I've ever read, probably.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shmenguin wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
a taste of the intensity? Book 3 was the most intense long-form book I've ever read, probably.
No no. A taste of the white walkers in the way they were written about in the prologue. I know there have been incidents with them but it wasn't until much much later that we even saw that.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
No no. A taste of the white walkers in the way they were written about in the prologue. I know there have been incidents with them but it wasn't until much much later that we even saw that.
I hear ya. I subscribe to a theory that they're not even evil. But with winter now here, they should be much more prevalent.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Ack!
Spoiler:
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
:scared:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re:

Post by dagny »

jaysmiter wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Advice to new readers: Dont get attached to ANYONE!!
Seconded.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

dagny wrote:Ack!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Jon Snow lives. One way or another, by the Old Gods or the Red God, he comes back. This is not me being a bitter fanboy, but its just not good story telling to have his character killed off before his linage is truly explored. And him dying and being resurrected may actually give him a loophole out of his vows.

Also, if Stannis had to die, I'm very glad that it was at the hand of Brienne. I very much like the complex layers of Brienne taking out Stannis at Winterfell with a sword forged from the sword of the wrongfully executed Warden of the North (who always insisted on performing executions himself with the same blade) given to her by a King Slayer and taking this action based upon resolute loyalty to a fallen King who by birth order actually had no legitimate claim to the throne in the first place.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:
dagny wrote:Ack!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Jon Snow lives. One way or another, by the Old Gods or the Red God, he comes back. This is not me being a bitter fanboy, but its just not good story telling to have his character killed off before his linage is truly explored. And him dying and being resurrected may actually give him a loophole out of his vows.

Also, if Stannis had to die, I'm very glad that it was at the hand of Brienne. I very much like the complex layers of Brienne taking out Stannis at Winterfell with a sword forged from the sword of the wrongfully executed Warden of the North (who always insisted on performing executions himself with the same blade) given to her by a King Slayer and taking this action based upon resolute loyalty to a fallen King who by birth order actually had no legitimate claim to the throne in the first place.
So far in season 6 episode 1 was a little slow, but episodes 2 and 3 were great. Finally got back to the Iron Islands, looking forward to more there. Also finally getting to see what definitely happened at the Tower of Joy is awesome.
Spoiler:
my watch has ended
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Post by DelPen »

Man, this is weird that we can't spoil the books anymore
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

Hodor
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

This season has had a nice and fast pace. It would be nice if the next book was released too.