GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Jofa Guy »

MWB wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:
MWB wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:Founders centennial ipa sixer during this horrible game. Only thing that's getting me through, I like it
I had that and Chillwave the same night to compare them and it really proved that I prefer a less malty IPA. I really like Centennial, but it is much maltier than Chillwave, which I love.
I assume chillwave is founders? Don't wanna look it up on my phone lol. I really enjoy centennial but I also prefer less malty IPAs. Have you had Odell's ipa?
No, haven't had that one. Have to be on the lookout for it.
Co brewery, not bad at all! Pretty fruity and bet west coast like. I also like their at lupulin
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Doing an East End Brewery/Distillery crawl this weekend.

Arsenal
Wigle (not beer, but on the tour)
Maggie's Farm
Roundabout
Hop Farm
East End

What should I look for when I go to these places? I've only really had the East End Monkey Boy and whatever their brown ale is.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

If your doing Roundabout and Hop Farm, you should go to Millvale for Grist House and Draii Laag
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14879/92246/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gangster Frog IPA - Hoppin' Frog Brewery: This was really good. 8/10. Very citrusy.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/154613/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Single Hop Imperial IPA (HBC-431) - Flying Dog Brewery: This has a unique taste that I couldn't put my finger on. Didn't like it as much as the Gangster Frog. 7/10.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I took the day off, because everything is closed tomorrow for St. Patrick's Day....easy four day weekend. Picked up one of these, largely because you rarely run accross Austrian beers:

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

MRandall25 wrote:Doing an East End Brewery/Distillery crawl this weekend.

Arsenal
Wigle (not beer, but on the tour)
Maggie's Farm
Roundabout
Hop Farm
East End

What should I look for when I go to these places? I've only really had the East End Monkey Boy and whatever their brown ale is.
Roundabout's IPA is solid, but my favorite from them is Gui. Great belgian ale.

Hop Farm, their IPA is pretty good. Their saison is decent, but I've actually liked it less each time I had it.

Arsenal, if they still have Session #3, def go for that. Archibald's Ado would be a second on the Sweet front. They usually have about half sweet/half dry.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

columbia wrote:I took the day off, because everything is closed tomorrow for St. Patrick's Day....easy four day weekend. Picked up one of these, largely because you rarely run accross Austrian beers:

Spoiler:
Thomas Grieskirchner? Pens goalie?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That Weissbier was nice; will buy again.
It had that indescribable quality of *not* being made in the USA.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

All the controversy and scuttlebutt the past few weeks over House Bill 168, aka the “Beer Bill,” bordered on ridiculous. I found myself confused over the entire issue, because, to me, it came down to one simple question: Do we have a three-tier system of alcohol distribution, or don’t we?

If we do, then the obvious action was to block A-B InBev (or any brewery) from being able to distribute its own products in Kentucky. That’s why there is a separation between supplier, distributor and retailer in the first place (thanks, Prohibition). If we don’t have a three-tier system, well, then it’s open season — all Kentucky breweries should be empowered to sell and distribute their products as they see fit. But a long-existing loophole enabled out-of-state brewers to distribute in Kentucky while in-state breweries could not.
http://insiderlouisville.com/business/o ... ing-wrong/
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

had a Tequesta Brewing Der Chancellor Kolsch last night, it was OK. Also had a Sixpoint The Crisp pilsner. Not my favorite style, but this was pretty good.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Modus hoperandi in a can. Not the best ipa, I'll admit.

I do love this beer though, very drinkable out of Durango, CO. They have to give any state a run of the money for an abundance of good/great breweries.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

eddysnake wrote:had a Tequesta Brewing Der Chancellor Kolsch last night, it was OK. Also had a Sixpoint The Crisp pilsner. Not my favorite style, but this was pretty good.
I feel like pilsners would be a good beer to go to. Need to try more of them
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Meh, you've tried three or four, you've tried them all. I would welcome being corrected by a pilsner fan, but that's how I feel about the style.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

That's how I feel. Something in me makes me feel like the right water results in a great pilsner more so than other styles, but I understand if that sounds stupid
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Victorys prima pils is really good
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

eddysnake wrote:had a Tequesta Brewing Der Chancellor Kolsch last night, it was OK. Also had a Sixpoint The Crisp pilsner. Not my favorite style, but this was pretty good.
I think I'm headed to sixpoint in the first week of April. Gotta see if the schedule permits.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

slappybrown wrote:Victorys prima pils is really good
As is Noble's Pistol Whip'd
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

BigMcK wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Victorys prima pils is really good
As is Noble's Pistol Whip'd
I'll have to try that, hopefully it's available here. I do enjoy Prima Pils, I just can't bring myself to buy a six pack of a pilser over another style
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Is anyone real familiar with this Four Seasons brewery? I had their APA session ale at Porch and then again at Independent in squirrel hill. It's a lighter IPA that has a lot of the flavor without bitterness.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Kraftster wrote:Meh, you've tried three or four, you've tried them all. I would welcome being corrected by a pilsner fan, but that's how I feel about the style.
This feels relevant...

Lagers Enjoy a Renaissance
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/dinin ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like pilsners, I think there is only so much you can do within the style.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm a kolsch fan in the summer. I brewed one over a cold snap last april in my basement (lagers need colder temps) and it was awesome. We planned to drink it through the summer and it was gone by early June. There are lagers I like, for sure, but I'd much rather have an ale normally.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I like Pilsner because it's easy to drink and you know what your going to get.

I can pretty much always drink a Pilsner-Urquell, Bitburger or a Prima Pils. I really like Steam Whistle out of Canada, but I've never seen it on this side of the border
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

count2infinity wrote:I'm a kolsch fan in the summer. I brewed one over a cold snap last april in my basement (lagers need colder temps) and it was awesome. We planned to drink it through the summer and it was gone by early June. There are lagers I like, for sure, but I'd much rather have an ale normally.
Oh, I like both styles....just not much room for variance (other than being poorly made).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've probably asked this before, but what exactly is a Kolsch? Something between a lager and pilsner?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

columbia wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I'm a kolsch fan in the summer. I brewed one over a cold snap last april in my basement (lagers need colder temps) and it was awesome. We planned to drink it through the summer and it was gone by early June. There are lagers I like, for sure, but I'd much rather have an ale normally.
Oh, I like both styles....just not much room for variance (other than being poorly made).
yeah... when they're done wrong, they're bad, and when they're done right, they're all the same.
MRandall25 wrote:I've probably asked this before, but what exactly is a Kolsch? Something between a lager and pilsner?
Kolsch is technically an ale which is then finished similarly to a lager, so you get the characteristics of almost a pale ale, but the clean, crisp finish like a lager. Pilsner is full on lager, typically made with much softer water. They end up having similar taste profiles, but are slightly different.