GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Jofa Guy »

I NEED to get my hands on a chillwave, maybe next time I go up to Pitt I'll find it
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Seasonal release, so won't be available that long. You don't get Great Lakes down there, right?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Great Lakes Distributes from NC to NY (excluding maryland and deleware), then Kentucky, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. Surprisingly, not Indiana...

Seekabrew is awesome... love that website.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Who's seen Chillwave around the burgh?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I just got it over the weekend in State College... I'd imagine it's gotta be in the Burgh by now.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I spoke to a few distributors last week and they said it (chillwave) was delayed in Western PA, they were hoping it comes in this week or next, but they thought it would be next week

my local distrubitor gets Great Lakes today, I'll check with them again this afternoon. Grapefruit Sculpin has made it's way to W. PA. Got a case for $66 on Friday.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

founders canadian breakfast stout is floating around tap rooms these days.
Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.
maple syrup KBS basically. very rare. very acclaimed. it's going to be at a few places in philly this week.

"if i didn't have kids" volume 107
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, out of NH.

Really like this beer, pretty easy drinking for the 7% I.B.U. Anyone else had it?

MWB, no we unfortunately we don't get it down here
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Old Rasputin on tap, so good
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Chillwave arrives in Pittsburgh tomorrow
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Jofa Guy wrote:Old Rasputin on tap, so good
If you can find it on nitro, I highly recommend it.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

That sounds wonderful. I haven't found a good nitro beer in a while. We have something called Lakewood Temptress here, its a milk stout and its exceptional
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I can't seem to find anyone with Chillwave in stock in Pittsburgh
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I just talked to my local distributor, she told me next Monday.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

The Drake's sales guy just popped by the place where I am staying. We had a nice discussion about how beer, IPA's in particular, are trending toward not being just beer, but being a fruit added, blended with oak chips, married to some freaky flavor, beer. He basically said that due to the backbone of IPA's, brewers are using this as a canvas to experiment with different flavor profiles to offer a flavor for different tastes.

I suggested he go back to his boss and tell them to cut this crap out. I want an IPA when I order a IPA. Not a Lollipop of flavors. He gave me a sampler bottle of their new IPA.

Tasted like an IPA should. I was pleased. They will get my business.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

BigMcK wrote:The Drake's sales guy just popped by the place where I am staying. We had a nice discussion about how beer, IPA's in particular, are trending toward not being just beer, but being a fruit added, blended with oak chips, married to some freaky flavor, beer. He basically said that due to the backbone of IPA's, brewers are using this as a canvas to experiment with different flavor profiles to offer a flavor for different tastes.

I suggested he go back to his boss and tell them to cut this crap out. I want an IPA when I order a IPA. Not a Lollipop of flavors. He gave me a sampler bottle of their new IPA.

Tasted like an IPA should. I was pleased. They will get my business.
I'm not an IPA person. Just don't like them.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Nothing wrong with not liking IPAs. There are plenty of other great styles and lots of breweries who offer other styles. IPAs have become an unbearably trendy style in the last few years but I think that is beginning to change. This spring has brought an influx of excellent Berliner-weiße and göse styles to the market. Sour biers are looking they will be the next big thing. As someone who loves a good IPA along with many other styles, this change is refreshing. With everyone putting out an IPA, there has been a lot of so so offerings but like anything, the cream tends to rise to the top. The best IPAs in my opinion are mostly the same ones I loved 3 years ago.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

For those of you that like root beer:

Not Your Father's Root Beer - 5.9% beer, that smells like IBC but tastes like Mug/Barq's. Not available everywhere though...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

BadHands71 wrote:Nothing wrong with not liking IPAs. There are plenty of other great styles and lots of breweries who offer other styles. IPAs have become an unbearably trendy style in the last few years but I think that is beginning to change. This spring has brought an influx of excellent Berliner-weiße and göse styles to the market. Sour biers are looking they will be the next big thing. As someone who loves a good IPA along with many other styles, this change is refreshing. With everyone putting out an IPA, there has been a lot of so so offerings but like anything, the cream tends to rise to the top. The best IPAs in my opinion are mostly the same ones I loved 3 years ago.
I agree, but as more breweries have operations closer to the point of consumption, I'm rediscovering some new IPA's that I didn'like before. I travel quite a bit these days and find myself telling servers in restaurants "what do you have on tap that is local and hoppy?", and they all know exactly what to give me... its a great way to try some new stuff.

Speaking of which, I had Cigar City Jai Alai last night with dinner... Excellent brew.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

This Saturday... get your tickets NOW!!! The money goes to help find a cure for cystic fibrosis!!! DONATE TO A GOOD CAUSE and have some great beers that you will NOT find anywhere else.

http://brewingupacure.org/
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

What was your high school\ college days beer of choice. I guess choice is the wrong word. What was the beer you bought cause you could afford it.

We always had Milwalkees(sp) best in high school, and Keystone ice in my college days.

Had a Natty light the other day and it just took me back to those good ol days and those "oh god why did I drink so much" nights. I think a lot of people call these Dad beers. cause your dad used to drink them or D.A.D stands for (Drink All Day) beers.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

i didn't start drinking beer until near my mid 30's.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Pretty much anything from New Belgium for me at this point. I love nearly everything I've tried, but the Voodoo Ranger 8 Hop Pale Ale and Accumulation are "on point", as the kids say.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

In college, Keystone, or Budweiser when we wanted to be big spenders (the microbrew revolution wasn't imagined at that point, heck, Labatt's was considered exotic :scared: ).

Now... so many from which to choose, and new selections all the time, but Ommegang, Founder's, and Dogfish Head are the go-to favorites. Doesn't hurt that we've visited all three, and they each have very well run organizations and amazing food. Those guys and gals do it right.