Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:I was going to say that Avec Eric is just about the most zen/meditative cooking show going and then I remembered that he's a Buddhist....so it all makes sense.
He visited a Buddhist retreat in season 2 and just went to a Buddhist temple in Korea for season 3. He's known in the industry for being pretty much the only chef (at his level) you'll ever work for who doesn't get all shouty when you screw up.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I did a four-course dinner Saturday for some friends. The portion sizes for courses 2 and 3 were deliberately precious, because the first course was killer and I wanted to serve a decent sized desert. While the flavors of the desert were spot on, the technique was not; my goat cheese panna cotta was really a goat cheese runny mess. It was paired with an Earl Grey ice cream prepared by our guests, and a 30-second lemon-vanilla sponge cake I made in the microwave (super cool technique; definitely doing again). Delicious to eat, ugly to look at; I didn't take any pictures of it.

Miso Corn with 18m 33s Egg
Spoiler:
Barely Cooked Scallops In A Thai Curry-Lime Broth
Spoiler:
Duck With Blood Orange Gel And Celeriac Puree
Spoiler:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I had some friends over last night... Roasted a chicken, roasted some brussel sprouts, and tried my hand at sweet potato gnocchi, since my regular gnocci a few weeks ago turned out so well. I thought the entire process would be exactly the same. It was close, but with one extra step. I baked the potatoes wrapped in foil... the sweet potatoes had so much liquid to them compared to regular baked potato, so after I processed the sweet potato, it was just sitting in liquid... figured it would take way too much flour to get it to where it needs to be and they'd be too doughy, so I strained them through a cloth and got rid of a ton of liquid, then it was just gnocchi as usual. Browned them in some butter and added some sage, and away we go. Was very good. Didn't want to be taking pictures while my friends were there enjoying and drinking, so no pics to share, but it was really good. I'm not sure there's anything better in this world than a nicely roasted chicken. So good.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Mmmmmm, sweet potato gnocchi. Sounds absolutely wonderful.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Any good Singapore Style Rice Noodle recipes?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

whoa. i just had singapore rice noodles tonight. It's one of those things I haven't even tried to make... I just order them.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I have a kickass maruchan/hotdog/sriracha noodle recipe if you're interested.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

count2infinity wrote:whoa. i just had singapore rice noodles tonight. It's one of those things I haven't even tried to make... I just order them.
I made Singapore rice noodles a couple weeks ago (for a whole week). I used chicken and egg as the protein, and I brined and then precooked the chicken in the oven. After "cooking" the noodles, (which just involved a soak in boiling water followed by a rinse), I then did the following:

Mix some broth with a couple heaping teaspoons of curry powder and healthy shots of soy sauce and sesame oil. You want maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of broth per batch of noodles. I used some pork broth that I had in my freezer. I found it takes more curry powder than you'd think it would.
Add a couple eggs to hot pan or wok and scramble. Remove when barely cooked.
Add a little oil and onion, garlic, and fresh-chopped ginger to pan. Stir fry.
Add cooked chicken to garlic mixture in pan and heat through. Remove when hot.
Add a little oil and veggies to pan and stir fry. I used bean sprouts plus bagged broccoli slaw mix from the store.
Add noodles and all other removed ingredients to pan. Throw in curry/broth mix. Toss until hot and everything is nice and yellow.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

tifosi77 wrote:I did a four-course dinner Saturday for some friends. The portion sizes for courses 2 and 3 were deliberately precious, because the first course was killer and I wanted to serve a decent sized desert. While the flavors of the desert were spot on, the technique was not; my goat cheese panna cotta was really a goat cheese runny mess. It was paired with an Earl Grey ice cream prepared by our guests, and a 30-second lemon-vanilla sponge cake I made in the microwave (super cool technique; definitely doing again). Delicious to eat, ugly to look at; I didn't take any pictures of it.

Miso Corn with 18m 33s Egg
Spoiler:
Barely Cooked Scallops In A Thai Curry-Lime Broth
Spoiler:
Duck With Blood Orange Gel And Celeriac Puree
Spoiler:
Scallops With Thai Curry-Lime Broth 2.0 --- The Leftovers

An altogether better looking plate.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Shyster wrote:
count2infinity wrote:whoa. i just had singapore rice noodles tonight. It's one of those things I haven't even tried to make... I just order them.
I made Singapore rice noodles a couple weeks ago (for a whole week). I used chicken and egg as the protein, and I brined and then precooked the chicken in the oven. After "cooking" the noodles, (which just involved a soak in boiling water followed by a rinse), I then did the following:

Mix some broth with a couple heaping teaspoons of curry powder and healthy shots of soy sauce and sesame oil. You want maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of broth per batch of noodles. I used some pork broth that I had in my freezer. I found it takes more curry powder than you'd think it would.
Add a couple eggs to hot pan or wok and scramble. Remove when barely cooked.
Add a little oil and onion, garlic, and fresh-chopped ginger to pan. Stir fry.
Add cooked chicken to garlic mixture in pan and heat through. Remove when hot.
Add a little oil and veggies to pan and stir fry. I used bean sprouts plus bagged broccoli slaw mix from the store.
Add noodles and all other removed ingredients to pan. Throw in curry/broth mix. Toss until hot and everything is nice and yellow.
You had me at 'Singapore'.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I made Caribbean chicken today. It was awesome. In case anyone is looking for a good recipe here is what I used. http://www.eatgood4life.com/caribbean-chicken/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cooked it much longer than they said. Almost 2 hours longer on low simmer. Also I added 1 TBSP of brown sugar once it was simmering. I would like to do some plantains next time if anyone has a recipe that has worked for them let me know.

One other note, I will not do bone-in chicken breasts next time. The meat falls apart while simmering and almost impossible to find all the bones. I crushed a tiny one while eating. Not fun.