Is hockey dead in Wheeling?

Forum for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Wheeling Nailers messages.
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Is hockey dead in Wheeling?

Post by Pensfan2010 »

The flyers haven't been affiliated with he nailers in 2 years. The nailers share their affiliation with the penguins and the habs. Ive heard that a local group will come through and purchase the Trenton franchise and rename them the titans like they used to be known as and after a year off will be a flyers affiliate next year.
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pensfan2010 »

Well I was actually off by a year. A local group did buy the franchise and resurrected the titans. However they are going to begin play this year and will be affiliated with the Flyers. I believe this is a good thing for the league. The people of trenton are more likely to support a team that's affiliated with the Flyers due to it's proximity to the city. A stable franchise is good for the ECHL
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Is Wheeling the only original ECHL franchise left?
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pensfan2010 »

jimjom wrote:Is Wheeling the only original ECHL franchise left?
Technically there are 2 other franchises that are in existance that are original franchises. The Greenville Road Warriors (who were the Johnstown Chiefs) and the Utah Grizzlies (Virginia Lancers). So three out of the original 5 are left.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I had to work in Wheeling a few weeks ago. It was the first time I had ever been in the city. Very nice area. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was definitely nicer than I had imagined. If they still have it next year, I would mind taking advantage of their $90 hotel plus tickets for two. Good deal.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

no
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Old Time Hockey »

My dad and I go to one home game a year in Wheeling when I come home for xmas and we always do the hotel package, 2 tickets, and the gift certificate to the restaurant for 99 bucks. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to the arena, so we get drunk before the game and stumble over to the arena. It is definitely worth it!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Once again, the Steak Fry is this Saturday October 1st at 5:30 PM at the Wheeling Park Ice Arena!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I'm going to the game on Nov. 4th against Kalamazoo. Looking forward to it.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Saw a twitter report from Sean Rine stating that if no owner is found for next year, the Nailers will fold. Madden retweeted that tomorrow the team will announce that this season is the last.

Tremendous blow to the Ohio Valley. Definitely terrible news.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

jimjom wrote:Saw a twitter report from Sean Rine stating that if no owner is found for next year, the Nailers will fold. Madden retweeted that tomorrow the team will announce that this season is the last.

Tremendous blow to the Ohio Valley. Definitely terrible news.
Sad news. I'm going to my first game in years on the 11th. At least I'll get to say goodbye.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Saw a tweet that someone bought them, but is likely relocating them.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Bathgate »

There are plans for a new league, the Northern Pro Hockey League (NPHL), to begin play next year. Franchise locations under consideration include Huntington, WV, Pikeville, KY, Johnstown, Richmond, and Roanoke. There is already speculation from Huntington that Wheeling could join them.

http://www.nphlhockey.com/
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I hope so, a team called the Nailers that plays in another league would still be minor pro hockey in wheeling which is good, I just hope the league sticks around more than one year. The echl has basically has become pretty legit and viable since its merger. I hope there's hockey in wheeling next year and for tears to come.
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pensfan2010 »

I could see the USHL (tier 1 Jr A) showing possible interest in putting a team in Wheeling. Similar to what happened in Muskegon. The Lumberjacks were a CHL team, that folded. The USHL Lumberjacks came right in and have been pretty successful in their first two years. Not to mention, they would have a ready made rival 90 miles up the road in Youngstown, up by me.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

If you're on twitter there's a group at @SaveTheNailers trying to get support from fans.

They brought up a Packers like scenario of fans owning the team. Asking price for team is $850,000.

Rumored destination for the franchise is Savannah. Wheeling journalists can't get in touch with the owners (ie they're ducking them).

Sad but promising about the potential new team or junior team.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Bathgate wrote:There are plans for a new league, the Northern Pro Hockey League (NPHL), to begin play next year. Franchise locations under consideration include Huntington, WV, Pikeville, KY, Johnstown, Richmond, and Roanoke. There is already speculation from Huntington that Wheeling could join them.

http://www.nphlhockey.com/
The NPHL looks like it's trying to take over for the teams that couldn't handle the growth of the ECHL.

Flint was never an ECHL team, but Roanoke (Express), Greensboro (Generals), Huntington (Blizzard), Johnstown (Chiefs), and Richmond (Renegades) all had early history in the ECHL with each of those teams having at least 5 seasons in the league. Not sure of how legit of a market Pikeville is. Did a search on their wiki page, and it looks like the biggest thing they are known for is "Hillbilly days"
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

Biz Nasty should buy them.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Presser streaming now. Team up for sale so the Brooks Brothers can devote more time to the Adirondack Phantoms project and arena.

Brooks is releasing this now to be proactive not reactive in order to find a new owner by the end of the season and keep the team here. (the cynic in me says that he's saying this now because the news leaked from a source inside the team -- that said he's literally crying so who knows).
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

by "keep the team here" I meant "there"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

MRandall25 wrote:Saw a tweet that someone bought them, but is likely relocating them.
Guess who broke this little nugget? I tell u but we don't need another thread about him round here.

I'll add some thoughts later when I get home but in the 24 hrs or so since this broke, it is incredible how this has taken off. From current Penguins, former Nailers now in the NHL, Pittsburgh media, the Pens org themselves, and even Dino Costa from XM Maddog radio in new York speaking on it and showing support. All northern teams in the ECHL also have been said to not wanting Wheeling gone and will work with league to help keep them.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Let's buy them. I'll throw in 20. Letsgopens.com presents: The Wheeling Nailers.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

jimjom wrote:Presser streaming now. Team up for sale so the Brooks Brothers can devote more time to the Adirondack Phantoms project and arena.
At least we can blame the Flyers for all of this now.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

DudeMan2766 wrote:. All northern teams in the ECHL also have been said to not wanting Wheeling gone and will work with league to help keep them.
Of course. Having Wheeling in the league vs a team in Savannah cuts down on travel expenses.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

JS© wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:. All northern teams in the ECHL also have been said to not wanting Wheeling gone and will work with league to help keep them.
Of course. Having Wheeling in the league vs a team in Savannah cuts down on travel expenses.
Sad but true. Wheeling has lost population and is a shell of its former self as are many rustbelt cities (although Wheeling has yet to find an industry or a technology group to call its city home but I believe that's due to poor city government). HOWEVER, it is strategically located directly on I-70 and is an ideal stop over for teams going east to west.