The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by Daniel »

Zarovich wrote:Wow, the comic series is done.
I always felt the best ending for the Walking Dead is for Rick to wake up from his coma to Carol and Lori and Shane watching over him. They would have had to film that when Carl was little though.

I think it would be an amazing way to end the series.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

So, we have all kinds of pilots in Fear, airplane, helicopters, hot air balloons, and who knows what will be next but in TWD, other than the helicopter pilots that are apparently in Fear as well, nobody can fly. There are more people in TWD than Fear, but the Fear characters have some high tech skills. The kingdom couldn't keep a boiler system running but we can rebuild a plane on Fear lol
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Zarovich wrote:So, we have all kinds of pilots in Fear, airplane, helicopters, hot air balloons, and who knows what will be next but in TWD, other than the helicopter pilots that are apparently in Fear as well, nobody can fly. There are more people in TWD than Fear, but the Fear characters have some high tech skills. The kingdom couldn't keep a boiler system running but we can rebuild a plane on Fear lol
My biggest issue with this season is the fact that they can’t get out of the area they are. I can’t think of anywhere in America that is so isolated they need to fly out. Maybe they explained that all the bridges were out, but still drives me crazy when writers play these kinds of games with geography. Like “let’s drive across the country to get to Dave by tomorrow”. Eight hours and 3000 miles later “we saved Dave”. Just a pet peeve.

The plane does seem like a pretty big feat of engineering in a post apocalypse situation. Even still, I do like the season so far. If I can overlook the fact that zombies are roaming the world, surely I can overlook mechanical geniuses on demand, lol. I still overlook less with Fear then TWD.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Fear was a good concept that lost it's way about 4 episodes in... they have not recovered, at all. TWD always required a fairly healthy suspension of disbelief. Fear blew that out of the water, and then proceeded to nuke it from orbit. I'm fairly sure they are now urinating on it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sigwolf wrote:Fear was a good concept that lost it's way about 4 episodes in... they have not recovered, at all. TWD always required a fairly healthy suspension of disbelief. Fear blew that out of the water, and then proceeded to nuke it from orbit. I'm fairly sure they are now urinating on it.
The last couple of episodes showed the strength of Fear. They were both personal stories and more dramatic than silly. I like when Fear gets into the survival aspect of a zombie apocalypse. Although, I think Costco would be the best place. Fortified and a lifetime of supplies.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Daniel wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:Fear was a good concept that lost it's way about 4 episodes in... they have not recovered, at all. TWD always required a fairly healthy suspension of disbelief. Fear blew that out of the water, and then proceeded to nuke it from orbit. I'm fairly sure they are now urinating on it.
The last couple of episodes showed the strength of Fear. They were both personal stories and more dramatic than silly. I like when Fear gets into the survival aspect of a zombie apocalypse. Although, I think Costco would be the best place. Fortified and a lifetime of supplies.
I agree with the sentiment, but wholly disagree the last few episodes encapsulate it. The post-hiatus premier was such "reality show", fake, horsecrap that I almost deleted it before the episode ended. They have good characters, they have good actors, the writing is just plain horrible.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sigwolf wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I agree with the sentiment, but wholly disagree the last few episodes encapsulate it. The post-hiatus premier was such "reality show", fake, horsecrap that I almost deleted it before the episode ended. They have good characters, they have good actors, the writing is just plain horrible.
The first episode could have been better with the "lost footage" format, but something was off with it. The writing was fine for the story, but the style was meh and maybe you're putting that into the writing part, which would be fair. I'm talking about the plot and interaction between the characters. How it was more dramatic than hokey (other than the badly done lost footage format).

Thing is, with Al they've setup a really good "lost footage" potential. I think the first episode showed a bit of promise for what it could become but it was pretty "reality show" fake like you said. Probably because for lost footage, it's better if someone finds it rather than real time point of view. I'd like to see them do it again but more lost footage. Have no idea how they'd do that because you'd have to show the person who found the footage. That'd be really cool actually. Episode with society that conquered the zombies and they find footage kinda think maybe?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’m still trying to get through the previous season of Fear, not liking it and I’m not sure it’s going to get much better. The flash backs seem forced and I really don’t care how we get to the point where it looks like Madison dies (I have no idea what really happens to her yet).
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Now that Fear has channeled
Spoiler:
Road Warrior with the hording of gas
, what are the thoughts of the new group of bad guys?

I'm thinking they have created a society of slaves and overlords for the elite few. Thoughts? I'm interested to see how it goes.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Daniel wrote:Now that Fear has channeled
Spoiler:

I'm thinking they have created a society of slaves and overlords for the elite few. Thoughts? I'm interested to see how it goes.
I hope they are not doing the Saviors all over again
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Zarovich wrote:
Daniel wrote:Now that Fear has channeled
Spoiler:

I hope they are not doing the Saviors all over again
Me too. It seems like they're trending towards more survival and rebuild drama over cartoon villains. I wouldn't mind seeing them try to rebuild an infrastructure, even if it has good guys and bad guys and struggle. More like the tv show Survivors from England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Cliffhangar...I did not see a dumpster though
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Zarovich wrote:Cliffhangar...I did not see a dumpster though
Classic "actor needs a contract or wants to move on" cliffhanger. If the actor decides to come back, they live. If not, buh bye.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Michonne tonight.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I decided to rewatch the whole series on Netflix, season one seemed a lot better at the time because nothing else like it was ever done, it is still good TV but not the best we have seen.

Season 2 when binge watched knowing when you can not pay attention isn’t as bad as it was at the time. Condense that down 8 episodes instead of 13 and it would have been better.

Season 3, not all the way through yet but what a rebound. Not a lot of dead space, but again, condense to 12 instead of 16 would fix pacing.

This show suffers from trying to stretch the episode count beyond the plot, but this is common for a lot of TV that’s not released by a streaming service/premium channel but even then some can be victims of their success like Game of Thrones.

I do like the direction the current season is heading though, I was keeping up on the comics, have no memory at all how the whisperers were resolved but I think it was similar to the show but what’s coming next could be good and I have not read the end to the comics yet.

Fear has totally lost me, it’s not fun anymore and I’m to the point where we have the two timelines and Morgan is back, but it’s just not entertaining, is it worth pushing forward?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Well I slogged through the mess that has become Fear. I kind of like the truckers and glad Dwight came back but it’s a mess. That whole convoy thing, are they driving back and forth between Texas and Mississippi? How many miles are the covering a week? How much time is passing? Is helicopter chick with the same group that took trash lady? They share the same haircut so maybe.

So they never found Madison, right? So she can pop up again I guess. Strand is still interesting, sort of glad Daniel is back although I kept expecting him to give Lucy a hug before I remembered she’s not his daughter, been a while since I watched where Ophelia died, oops.

So at this point, we haven’t had a big time jump like the main show, right? Granted they did the dual time line with the stadium but the season with the hurricane seemed like there was a stretch where a few days passed over like half the season.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Delpen, the real question is, where is Heath?
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Season 11 will be 24 episodes long and be the last season.

Looks likes there will still be spinoffs, with Daryl and Carol, and movies.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Zarovich wrote:Season 11 will be 24 episodes long and be the last season.

Looks likes there will still be spinoffs, with Daryl and Carol, and movies.
Except, it will broken into two parts, over two years, so... why won't they just call it what it is... two 12 episode seasons. You know they won't wait two years to release the DVD's. So now they will release Season 11 Part One and Season 11 Part Two. That makes much more sense than just calling it Seasons 11 and 12, eh? :roll:

Maybe they thought this made the most sense to represent the convoluted mess the show has become.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I commented years ago about how it was hard to get into Fear because the characters were so unlikable it was hard to care who lived and who died. The powers-that-be in charge of the Walking Dead universe apparently have decided to double down on that strategy and respond with "Hold my beer, and watch World Beyond".
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sigwolf wrote:I commented years ago about how it was hard to get into Fear because the characters were so unlikable it was hard to care who lived and who died. The powers-that-be in charge of the Walking Dead universe apparently have decided to double down on that strategy and respond with "Hold my beer, and watch World Beyond".
It's definitely becoming a "been there done that" kind of thing with the Walking Dead franchise. I used to look forward to TWD and Fear but now have a maybe I'll get to it mentality. The Whisperers should have been such a great antagonist but they're just bleh.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

DelPen wrote:Well I slogged through the mess that has become Fear. I kind of like the truckers and glad Dwight came back but it’s a mess. That whole convoy thing, are they driving back and forth between Texas and Mississippi? How many miles are the covering a week? How much time is passing? Is helicopter chick with the same group that took trash lady? They share the same haircut so maybe.

So they never found Madison, right? So she can pop up again I guess. Strand is still interesting, sort of glad Daniel is back although I kept expecting him to give Lucy a hug before I remembered she’s not his daughter, been a while since I watched where Ophelia died, oops.

So at this point, we haven’t had a big time jump like the main show, right? Granted they did the dual time line with the stadium but the season with the hurricane seemed like there was a stretch where a few days passed over like half the season.
Spoiler:
Pretty sure Madison died at the baseball stadium.

Fear had been pretty good ever since they hit Texas. Morgan helps.

World Beyond, what a waste.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

These bonus episodes have been meh. The only one I was looking forward to is Negan’s. I have tempered my expectations for it now.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Zarovich wrote:These bonus episodes have been meh. The only one I was looking forward to is Negan’s. I have tempered my expectations for it now.
The Aaron and Gabriel episode was enjoyable. I can't believe they wasted money on the other trash.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

And Fear the Walking Dead no longer interests me.