RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: RIP Thread

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Sarcastic wrote: I don't want to sound insensitive, but I have no sympathy for famous millionaires who kill themselves with drugs like this guy or that Heath Ledger dude.
:pop:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I don't know why people think being rich and famous makes a person less likely to become an addict.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

I'd say, it's almost the other way around, as those people have easier access to that stuff.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

You know drugs are bad and are gonna F you up. You still choose to use. You die. I really don't give a crap. It is very simple to me.

You pay for being stupid in this life. I don't have enough heart or tears to feel bad for every stupid person for being stupid.

What kind of moron would think that trying heroin is a fun idea. Fully knowing the consequences. This is a non-argument to me.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I think being a rich and famous celebrity would be pretty terrible. You'd have no privacy. Your safety would always be in question. You'd always have doubts about whether your friends/family/loved one were using you for your money. Your every move would be scrutinized. Etc., etc. I don't know why anyone wants to be famous and I don't know why people infer that being rich and famous would make life so easy. I think it's pretty much the exact opposite.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Sarcastic wrote: You pay for being stupid in this life. I don't have enough heart or tears to feel bad for every stupid person for being stupid.
Who's saying you have to have tears or feel bad for them? Certainly not me.

However, I don't understand the need so many have to interject their lack of caring every time a famous person dies, especially due to addiction. If you don't care, don't say anything. Pretty simply.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Hockeynut! wrote:
Sarcastic wrote: You pay for being stupid in this life. I don't have enough heart or tears to feel bad for every stupid person for being stupid.
Who's saying you have to have tears or feel bad for them? Certainly not me.

However, I don't understand the need so many have to interject their lack of caring every time a famous person dies, especially due to addiction. If you don't care, don't say anything. Pretty simply.
People have a right to express opinion as they like, especially about a public figure. I am already tired of everyone walking around with the pc-muzzle on their lips.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I get that. I just don't understand the need to chime in when someone dies and say they don't care. Not commenting shows you don't care. ;) If you do care and want to say, "I'm glad that stupid rich and famous junkie died" then by all means, it's your right to say it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Hockeynut! wrote:I get that. I just don't understand the need to chime in when someone dies and say they don't care. Not commenting shows you don't care. ;) If you do care and want to say, "I'm glad that stupid rich and famous junkie died" then by all means, it's your right to say it.
It really blows my mind though that some people who have it all decide to mess it all up. It's almost a slap to the face to those who don't have money and live clean lives. It's the same to me as all the celebs and ex-athletes who make a hundred million, then go bankrupt by buying 5 mansions, 12 cars, and throwing endless parties and investing in stupid stuff. I instead feel sorry for people who die of hunger and live in poverty and who just don't have the opportunity to better themselves, than some dumbass who has it all and decides to go snort coke or something. At some point I have to draw the line with my feelings.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

YOLO :pop:

To clarify, that's not my stance on it. It's the mentality of "well I have all this money, how am I gonna spend it?" Spend it with friends, buy the things that most people on the planet can't afford, etc. Thing is you don't have to spend it or burn through it in 3-5 years. I could go on a separate rant about the NFL and how foolish most of their stars are, but pull up the 30 in 30 of "Broke" and it should cover it.

Nobody want to have a plan until they're out of money.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Sarcastic wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:I get that. I just don't understand the need to chime in when someone dies and say they don't care. Not commenting shows you don't care. ;) If you do care and want to say, "I'm glad that stupid rich and famous junkie died" then by all means, it's your right to say it.
It really blows my mind though that some people who have it all decide to mess it all up.
Well I guess depends on your definition of "having it all" is then. I know if I were celebrity, with people following all of my moves and a ton of fans plus as many people who hated me.. every hit or bomb I was in blown way out of proportion... there's no way in hell I'd be able to handle all that with any semblance of competency.

I think you're misinterpreting understanding for sympathy.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

meecrofilm wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
It really blows my mind though that some people who have it all decide to mess it all up.
Well I guess depends on your definition of "having it all" is then. I know if I were celebrity, with people following all of my moves and a ton of fans plus as many people who hated me.. every hit or bomb I was in blown way out of proportion... there's no way in hell I'd be able to handle all that with any semblance of competency.

So you want me to feel sorry for the 'rich and famous movie star or a celebrity' because they have it so bad since they are under a microscope and they have too many fans and some people that dislike them? I bet any person here would love to be in their position. And if they hate being rich and famous because it's just such a drag or they can't handle the pressure, they know where the door is. Leave Hollywood and get a job on an assembly line. Or do what Johnny Depp did... move to France.

I don't have understanding either, though. How can I understand a grown man continuing to do drugs fully knowing what will happen. I think the Glee guy started doing drugs when he was 13 and he still to the day he died didn't know that HEY, THIS IS BAD, TIME TO KICK THE HABIT, WHERE'S THE CLOSEST REHAAAB. No, I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his family. But I'm not going to coddle his memory. He did it to himself and he had years to turn his life around.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP Bernadette Lafont
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

RIP Jokichi Ikarashi. who was briefly thought to be the world's oldest verified living man at 111 years and 178 days. Upon his death, it was discovered that 112 year old Salustiano "Shorty" Sanchez now holds the title, born on June 8, 1901 or six months before Ikarishi.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Sarcastic wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

So you want me to feel sorry for the 'rich and famous movie star or a celebrity' because they have it so bad since they are under a microscope and they have too many fans and some people that dislike them? I bet any person here would love to be in their position. And if they hate being rich and famous because it's just such a drag or they can't handle the pressure, they know where the door is. Leave Hollywood and get a job on an assembly line. Or do what Johnny Depp did... move to France.

I don't have understanding either, though. How can I understand a grown man continuing to do drugs fully knowing what will happen. I think the Glee guy started doing drugs when he was 13 and he still to the day he died didn't know that HEY, THIS IS BAD, TIME TO KICK THE HABIT, WHERE'S THE CLOSEST REHAAAB. No, I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his family. But I'm not going to coddle his memory. He did it to himself and he had years to turn his life around.
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote: I don't want to sound insensitive
:pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Sarc, i think this is more of a "you're not wrong, you're just an ahole" kinda situations. and dont take that personally. i think its good to have a zero tolerance policy for this kind of thing. that being said, the timing of these things is just bad. Having this position and giving this position in the wake of somebody's death are two different landscapes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Do sociopaths take things personally?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP RIP Thread?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

RIP JJ Cale.

If you've heard Clapton's "Cocaine" and "After Midnight", you've heard JJ Cale. Both songs were covers of JJ Cale.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

RIP indeed
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I'm headed back to Tulsa tonight. JJ Cale was born in Oklahoma and raised in Tulsa.

He spent the last years of his life in a place I think is "Heaven on Earth" La Jolla California.

What a song writer, what a Musician... R.i.P.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/war-h ... 8914?tc=cr

RIP to a true American hero, Bud Day. What a human being.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

JS© wrote:RIP Jokichi Ikarashi. who was briefly thought to be the world's oldest verified living man at 111 years and 178 days. Upon his death, it was discovered that 112 year old Salustiano "Shorty" Sanchez now holds the title, born on June 8, 1901 or six months before Ikarishi.
How many people who were born in the 1800s are left? We should be getting down to the last 10 or so.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:
JS© wrote:RIP Jokichi Ikarashi. who was briefly thought to be the world's oldest verified living man at 111 years and 178 days. Upon his death, it was discovered that 112 year old Salustiano "Shorty" Sanchez now holds the title, born on June 8, 1901 or six months before Ikarishi.
How many people who were born in the 1800s are left? We should be getting down to the last 10 or so.
There are eight left. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_li ... ntenarians
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

From DD's link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeralean_Talley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty awesome!