Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:05 pm FWIW:
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects to sign contract extension, will look outside organization for next offensive coordinator
Tomlin also said he hopes Mason Rudolph returns to challenge Kenny Pickett for starting QB job
RAY FITTIPALDO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JAN 18, 2024

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he expects to sign a contract extension this offseason, a period he said will bring many changes to the team.

After Tomlin’s press conference, team president Art Rooney II told the Post-Gazette the Steelers “plan to extend Mike’s contract.”

One of those changes will be hiring a new offensive coordinator from outside the organization. Tomlin promoted from within the past two times he hired a coach to coordinate his offense. When asked why, he said, “I feel it’s appropriate.”

Tomlin fired Matt Canada, who had no previous NFL experience before coming to the Steelers, in November. Running backs coach Eddie Faulkner and quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan handled the coordinating duties for the remainder of the season, but they won’t be involved in the search for the permanent position.

“I’m looking at outside candidates and lining up the pecking order there,” said Tomlin, who added he is looking for a coach with previous experience coordinating an NFL offense.

Concerning his muddled quarterback situation, Tomlin said he would like to see Mason Rudolph return to the team to challenge Kenny Pickett for the starting job next season. Rudolph, who led the Steelers to three consecutive wins to get into the playoffs, is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March.

Tomlin turned to Rudolph after backup Mitch Trubisky failed to win a game in his two starts when Pickett was injured. Once Pickett was healthy again in late December, Tomlin decided to stick with Rudolph as his starter.

Tomlin said Rudolph’s play changed how he views him.

“Certainly,” he said. “I don’t think any of us can deny what we’ve seen over the last month or so. I cannot underscore how impressive it is to be ready to deliver — and he was. That preparedness showed. We’re less speculative about his capabilities because there is evidence of it.”

Tomlin also expressed confidence in Pickett, but he said the 2024 season will be his most important season to date.

“It’s a big year for him,” he said. “It’s a huge year for him.”
When he was asked directly if he believes his quarterback for next season is on the roster, Tomlin said, “Yes.”

Tomlin did acknowledge a contract extension is likely to come sooner rather than later because it will quiet some speculation about his commitment, but he said he’s not worried about when it will be announced.

“That’s a component of it,” he said. “But that’s probably the only level of importance for me. Security is cool, but it’s not a top priority for me. I’m not job scared, but it does provide less questions.

“It’ll get done when it gets done. It’s not a top priority for me.”
So it's looks like Tomlin would like to see Rudolph come back to compete against Pickett. And it sure looks like a lot of kissing up to Rudolph in those quotes to help entice him back. We'll see. Obviously, we've seen the last of Trubisky in a Steelers uniform.

Also not surprised that the Rooneys will offer Mediocre Mike a contract extension. I figured that the only way Tomlin would go would be deciding to just leave on his own, but that ain't happening.
I can't see Rudolph signing with the Steelers again, though Tomlin did play him over a healthy Pickett so who knows now that the season is over. I think it'll depend on the OC and who they would prefer.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The only thing that helps Rudolph’s chances of not leaving is that stupid **** with Miles Garrett calling him a racist and a lot of people believing it.

Seems like the players saw what Rudolph could do during practice but Canada wouldn’t give him a chance and Tomlin always deferred to him. The attitude of everyone on offense changed as soon as Rudolph got in. That can’t be ignored.

Any of the available free agents wouldn’t be a lot better than Pickett or Rudolph. Spending money or trade capital for a guy like Fields wouldn’t be good at this point. Getting a real OC in could change who the QB is but that’s step one and we desperately need players in the draft so trading high picks can’t happen this season.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:50 pm The only thing that helps Rudolph’s chances of not leaving is that stupid **** with Miles Garrett calling him a racist and a lot of people believing it.

Seems like the players saw what Rudolph could do during practice but Canada wouldn’t give him a chance and Tomlin always deferred to him. The attitude of everyone on offense changed as soon as Rudolph got in. That can’t be ignored.

Any of the available free agents wouldn’t be a lot better than Pickett or Rudolph. Spending money or trade capital for a guy like Fields wouldn’t be good at this point. Getting a real OC in could change who the QB is but that’s step one and we desperately need players in the draft so trading high picks can’t happen this season.
Honestly I'm not sure I trust Tomlin if I'm Rudolph and I think his choices will be much higher this year than last. There is a rumor that Belicheat likes him, so depending on where he goes might be an opportunity for him.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Looks like Belicheat will end up in Atlanta. Not hired yet, but he's on his 2nd interview.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:45 am Looks like Belicheat will end up in Atlanta. Not hired yet, but he's on his 2nd interview.
Without a QB and his spy network, I don’t see much success there, but whatever, he’s overrated and kinda the Mike Babcock of the NFL (plus the cheating).
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I guess no one should read anything into whatever Tomlin is saying right now because A) a good coach wouldn’t throw people under the bus who are still on the roster while the season is still going on and nothing can be done to change the roster for a few months but the situation will change so there’s nothing to worry about or B) Tomlin has never said anything of value so whatever he says can be thrown out the window completely as total BS.

I do find it very interesting that some of the vets on defense, like Cam, said players can’t pick their QB and now Pickens has joined Johnson in backing Rudolph. I think there is a rift with Kenny, and also Mitch, and the offense that Tomlin and the defense didn’t have full insight on because Canada kept these issues under wraps and he was delegated to have that power.

The only reason Pickett should be starting next season with Mitch as the backup is because Rudolph left and we have a cap issue with a certain senior citizen not restructuring like every other Steeler did before.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

As messy as the Steelers are right now, and it’s not that bad that it can’t be fixed with smart football decisions, I look at Carolina and how bad their owner screwed things up. They could had been the worst team in the league with Christian McCafery and then taken Stroud and they would be a playoff team With DJ Moore still there. But they have none of them along with Bryce Young and no #1 pick this year.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Don’t like Ravens and SF advancing. Hope whoever wins tomorrow can get an upset on the road next week.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I hate the Chefs. Poor Buffalo likes to lose on missed FG's. All I know is that I'll be rooting for the NFC in the Super Bowl. It would be a great story if the Lions find a way past SF.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:47 pm As messy as the Steelers are right now, and it’s not that bad that it can’t be fixed with smart football decisions, I look at Carolina and how bad their owner screwed things up. They could had been the worst team in the league with Christian McCafery and then taken Stroud and they would be a playoff team With DJ Moore still there. But they have none of them along with Bryce Young and no #1 pick this year.
They're just better coaching and QB play away from being a serious Super Bowl contender. I'm hoping Tomlin just had a bad year but I no longer think Pickett can be a Super Bowl QB. I'd take a chance on a guy like Josh Rosen or Trey Lance and see if either of them could salvage their career with a good OC.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:47 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:45 am Looks like Belicheat will end up in Atlanta. Not hired yet, but he's on his 2nd interview.
Without a QB and his spy network, I don’t see much success there, but whatever, he’s overrated and kinda the Mike Babcock of the NFL (plus the cheating).
He wants to be in a dome. Sick of the cold. Good pre Retirement gig in nice weather.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Will he still wear frumpy cutoff sweatshirts?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Not sure how I feel about Thomas Brown. Panthers were garbage but that’s more on the owner and them not having good players.

Brown did a little bit of everything on offense with the Rams for 3 seasons except work directly with the QBs but we saw that it isn’t something that makes you qualified to be an OC like Canada was.

His college resume is fairly good too. I wouldn’t be mad if he ends up being the guy.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:14 am Will he still wear frumpy cutoff sweatshirts?
He should go straight June Jones are start wearing Magnum PI shirts lol
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

LOL, Belicheat didn't get the Falcons HC job.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It’s kind of weird the first few interviews for the OC have no NFL experience as an OC which is something Tomlin said they wanted during exit interviews. I’m not mad at that though, OC’s want to move up to head coach, only time you usually get an OC who has prior experience are guys who fail as a head coach like a Todd Haley. Not sure that’s better than a good offensive coach who has worked under a very good OC and was in charge of offenses in college and earned promotions.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

The Lions were a big disappointment. 17 point lead blown. Stupid bone head plays, dropped passes, and dumb coaching decisions.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:31 pm The Lions were a big disappointment. 17 point lead blown. Stupid bone head plays, dropped passes, and dumb coaching decisions.
Crap organizations always revert back to their roots. This team doesn't have a good enough defense to not take the 3 points. There is a reason the Lion's have never been to a Super Bowl.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I really really really hope that the 49ers take down KC. I'm so sick of the Kelces (including the ugly mother), Taylor Swift, Muholmes, and Andy Reid. And Jake from State Farm while we're at it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:36 am I really really really hope that the 49ers take down KC. I'm so sick of the Kelces (including the ugly mother), Taylor Swift, Muholmes, and Andy Reid. And Jake from State Farm while we're at it.
I hate SF and sick of KC. Shame their can't be a tie. Either way, I might see who wins Monday but won't be watching the game.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Rooney is tired of playoff futility. Rooney also thinks Tomlin is still the right coach for this team.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:06 pm Rooney is tired of playoff futility. Rooney also thinks Tomlin is still the right coach for this team.
Rooney also ain’t his father and grandfather in terms of running this team. The team hasn’t done much since Dan Rooney died.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

The old man (Art Rooney) had no idea how to win in the NFL. The Steelers stunk for the time he ran the team from 1933 to 1968. They were pretty much the laughing stock of the league. It wasn't until Dan took over in 1969 that the team started to turn the corner. That was the year Dan took over the reins and hired Chuck Noll. The rest is history. Unfortunately, because of Dan and rule he helped create, the Steelers are married to Tomlin. I agree that Art II is a clueless clown, but he's probably a step better than his grandfather and namesake.
Last edited by Badger Bob on Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Looks like Arthur Smith is the new OC. Gawd, what a terrible decision. I guess they needed a simplistic offensive passing game so Kenny Pickett can feel like an NFL QB since the west coast offense is too complicated for his fragile ego.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Plan the Parade!!! :lol:

Smith is a run first kind of guy, so I don't expect to see big changes.