Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by DelPen »

So many people on Twitter are taking weird positions on Fields vs Pickett. Right now Fields is better and will most likely have the better career. If the Steelers do get him they are a better team than what ended the season.

The problem is what does it cost yiu to get him in draft capital and who can’t then be signed or resigned because of how much money you pay him. Is he worth a 3rd? Maybe. But nothing higher right now to this team considering this is a deep draft for the positions we direly need. And if we can’t upgrade to online it doesn’t matter who is QB again.

There’s also the problem with Fields being Fields. His ceiling is around Watson who is never going to lead a team to a Super Bowl. I don’t see a compelling reason to add him because he won’t be the guy to win games on his own for us. I’d rather use the draft to fill the holes and see what Pickett and most likely Tannehill can do and maybe draft a QB late and add him to the mix.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:55 pm So many people on Twitter are taking weird positions on Fields vs Pickett. Right now Fields is better and will most likely have the better career. If the Steelers do get him they are a better team than what ended the season.

The problem is what does it cost yiu to get him in draft capital and who can’t then be signed or resigned because of how much money you pay him. Is he worth a 3rd? Maybe. But nothing higher right now to this team considering this is a deep draft for the positions we direly need. And if we can’t upgrade to online it doesn’t matter who is QB again.

There’s also the problem with Fields being Fields. His ceiling is around Watson who is never going to lead a team to a Super Bowl. I don’t see a compelling reason to add him because he won’t be the guy to win games on his own for us. I’d rather use the draft to fill the holes and see what Pickett and most likely Tannehill can do and maybe draft a QB late and add him to the mix.
If he’s available, I’d rather Trey Lance over Fields. I think Lance has a higher upside and lower downside, but would cost way less if Dallas wants to trade him. Dallas got him for a 4th and his value certainly hasn’t gone up. I’d give them a 4th or a 5th and see what Lance can bring to the team.

Every other QB the Steelers can realistically get are either too old or too awful to legitimately compete with Pickett. Might as well think outside the box and gamble on Lance. If he sucks, who cares you gave up a low pick. If he reaches his potential you have a really good starter for a decade……for a low pick.
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jf »

Just play Mason. Fields can't throw like Mason. Go back to November 2017, The game between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Mason threw for 448 yards and 5 touchdowns and just missed a couple of other long throws. Unfortunately, Baker threw for 598 yards. Fields never could throw the ball like that. It is a simple game.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

And from everything I keep hearing, the players have lost confidence in Pickett. Only thing is, they still have to get Mason to sign a new deal. That could be the problem.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:44 pm And from everything I keep hearing, the players have lost confidence in Pickett. Only thing is, they still have to get Mason to sign a new deal. That could be the problem.
Confidence is fickle, Pickett can get it back. What I don't think he can get back is the maturity of the offense when he's leading them. They just don't respect him enough and that might not change. For Rudolph, the team played better, harder, tougher, more attention to detail. With Pickett, it was totally opposite.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Cole cut today when they didn’t really need to do it to save cap space even before the announcement that it was going up $30 million. I like the position the team is taking that anyone else out there is better than Cole, Harvin and Trubisky.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I'm getting a little tired of the Justin Fields talk.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:37 am I'm getting a little tired of the Justin Fields talk.
I wish they’d either trade to a non Steelers team or trade the 1st overall pick to signal they’re keeping Fields, which in my opinion might be their best option.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

This players survey is pretty stupid. What it tells me is Tomlin is too nice that the players are more worried about only having an Xbox Series S instead of a Series X to play Madden because their coach never holds them accountable.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Broncos releasing Wilson. Is he any worse than Fields? If you want to make a splash then better off signing him than giving up assets to get Fields.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:45 pm Broncos releasing Wilson. Is he any worse than Fields? If you want to make a splash then better off signing him than giving up assets to get Fields.
At this point I think if the choices are Fields or Wilson they might as well keep Pickett. I keep going back to Trey Lance as an out of the box option. Rather than waste money or draft capital on the other options, why not go for the boom or bust option in Lance? He might suck or he might be a stud but I can't see a scenario where Wilson beats father time or Fields suddenly learns how to pass.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Watt had 24.5 sacks the last two season. Steelers threw 24 TD’s the last 2 years. That’s not ideal.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Russell Wilson planning to meet with Steelers in Pittsburgh before free agency begins next week.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Admin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:40 pm Russell Wilson planning to meet with Steelers in Pittsburgh before free agency begins next week.
I would still rather see no draft capital spent on Fields if the alternative is Wilson. And the price shouldn’t be too much so we won’t be using money on him that should be addressed in other areas. And there have been so many good centers and safeties released the last month that we can fill those early too and I don’t think that center of Oregon is making it to us seeing one of those teams that cut a good center will make a move to get him as a replacement.

I wouldn’t hand the starting job to Wilson on day 1 but it should only take him maybe 5 minutes to win it from Pickett.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Wilson reportedly will sign with the Steelers.

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

This is such a better move than trading for Fields. Now get a center, safety and corner signed this week and this team is in good shape ahead of the draft.

Also, if I’m Mason Rudolph I would not come back to be 3rd string. Pickett will not be relegated to 3rd even though he should be and he can’t depend on injuries again to get a chance.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Yeah, I think we've seen the last of Mason in da 'burgh.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:08 am This is such a better move than trading for Fields. Now get a center, safety and corner signed this week and this team is in good shape ahead of the draft.

Also, if I’m Mason Rudolph I would not come back to be 3rd string. Pickett will not be relegated to 3rd even though he should be and he can’t depend on injuries again to get a chance.
I don't think Wilson has anything left but he's still better than Pickett. I think this move either improves Pickett or relegates him to career backup. Either way, I think they'll be in line for Quinn Ewers.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Patrick Queen seems like a really good signing. So does Bill Burr for punter.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Too bad they didn't have a chance to get Desmond King away from Houston. :lol:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:23 pm Patrick Queen seems like a really good signing. So does Bill Burr for punter.
I think he'll be what Bush should have been.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Diontae and a 7th traded to Carolina for CB Donte Jackson a 6th. Even if Jackson is just depth I still love this move because Johnson has been dropping too many balls and pouting on the field.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 pm Diontae and a 7th traded to Carolina for CB Donte Jackson a 6th. Even if Jackson is just depth I still love this move because Johnson has been dropping too many balls and pouting on the field.
I think between him, Porter, Trice, and Rush that's a very young and solid DB group. Almost reminds me of the legion of boom for Seattle a few years back, big, tall, fast secondary.

Porter - 6'2 193
Rush - 6'2 198
Trice - 6'3 205 (I think he'll be fully healed and show good stuff next season)
Jackson 5'11 180 (okay so they're not all tall and big, but he's fast)

That's still going to be a really good group and the Steelers have shown that WRs are a dime a dozen and. rarely miss on drafting one. I also see Tyler Boyd will likely join the group so if that happens Boyd + Jackson is way better than Johnson + anyone they can get at CB.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

From what I hear, Boyd wants to be a #2 WR. Not sure I agree with his assessment, if correct.

BTW, reports are that Rudolph agreed to a contract with the Titans.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Reports are the Eagles are trading for Kenny Pickett?!