DK Pittsburgh Sports...lots of turnover in employees...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: DK Pittsburgh Sports...lots of turnover in employees...

Post by peterleefan »

DK's kool aid drinkers bashed the deadspin piece and while I believed it, it did lack the type of evidence that could confirm like texts or emails.

Matt G., with his recents tweets today, is saying the accusations are credible, despite a lack of corroborating documenstion.

So this probably means hes getting bashed over at DK's site
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

wondermoose wrote:I cancelled last night. I didn't have a good feel for how believable the accusations were, but Gajkta was was DK's right-hand man. I didn't particularly enjoy any of the content from the site anymore and wasn't planning on re-upping in the spring anyway. I don't think he's in danger of losing the site anytime soon unless one of these accusations actually go to court, but I don't think that's even a possibility really.
I cancelled about a month ago. I had just renewed in August. My overall thought was that I was not happy with their Penguins coverage, which is 95% of why I paid for the site. Once Yohe and Mackey were gone, the coverage has sucked. Katie Brown's piece, while I didn't care for her coverage more because I just felt she didn't have relationships with the team/players, pushed me to the brink. When I went to the site, I got ticked off that I had no way to remove my credit card information. I would have preferred to keep access since I had just paid, but it pissed me off enough that I just outright cancelled since that was the only option I had.

It's a shame, because I do like the Athletic, and like that I have access to other team's content, but, the DK's site get pieces out quicker. We are sometimes talking days vs hours. Maybe that is part of DK's site problems, slave driving people to work 16 hour days and always writing. DK also slacked off on his insider pieces, the Friday Insider and Tuesday Takes, enough that my subscription didn't feel as valuable as it was in year one.

I think his bigger danger is being able to find quality employees moving forward. In my view, he has had the best possible group of writers already pass through his employment at one time or another. Josh and Jason on hockey, Matt and Lance on baseball, Kaboly and whoever on Steelers, with Dejan writing pieces on each and the Insider portions.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

Ive cancelled twice. First time was right after Mackey left - straw that broke camels back was DK bashing Mackey when he left ( not the backstabbing Molinari accusation but him saying Mackey couldnt handle the tough Steelers beat) Such an awful thing to do.

I re-upped again this past August. The trolling of Pitt fans by PSU fans was bad ( Im a big Pitt guy) but I ended subscription because Pitt beat guy that just quit ( Mueller) was sub-standard. He was combative, appeared to be anti-Pitt and had no knowledge of anything historical in Pitt's past.

DK is reaping what he sowed - call it kharma if you wish - but a bad human being is finally getting exposed and consequences are in motion. Im not disappinted.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

FLPensFan wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I cancelled last night. I didn't have a good feel for how believable the accusations were, but Gajkta was was DK's right-hand man. I didn't particularly enjoy any of the content from the site anymore and wasn't planning on re-upping in the spring anyway. I don't think he's in danger of losing the site anytime soon unless one of these accusations actually go to court, but I don't think that's even a possibility really.
I cancelled about a month ago. I had just renewed in August. My overall thought was that I was not happy with their Penguins coverage, which is 95% of why I paid for the site. Once Yohe and Mackey were gone, the coverage has sucked. Katie Brown's piece, while I didn't care for her coverage more because I just felt she didn't have relationships with the team/players, pushed me to the brink. When I went to the site, I got ticked off that I had no way to remove my credit card information. I would have preferred to keep access since I had just paid, but it pissed me off enough that I just outright cancelled since that was the only option I had.

It's a shame, because I do like the Athletic, and like that I have access to other team's content, but, the DK's site get pieces out quicker. We are sometimes talking days vs hours. Maybe that is part of DK's site problems, slave driving people to work 16 hour days and always writing. DK also slacked off on his insider pieces, the Friday Insider and Tuesday Takes, enough that my subscription didn't feel as valuable as it was in year one.

I think his bigger danger is being able to find quality employees moving forward. In my view, he has had the best possible group of writers already pass through his employment at one time or another. Josh and Jason on hockey, Matt and Lance on baseball, Kaboly and whoever on Steelers, with Dejan writing pieces on each and the Insider portions.
I also hated all the video and radio stuff. Seemed like a waste of time when they were writing all the pieces anyway. Oh well.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

So Madden has been off the past few days ….fill-in host has been Tim Benz.

I wonder if “The X” mgt has removed Dejan from the rotation of fill-in hosts for Madden based on the harassment claims?
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

I would rather listen to Benz over DK any day. Man do I miss Benz’ morning show on the X.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

ejd43 wrote:I would rather listen to Benz over DK any day. Man do I miss Benz’ morning show on the X.
Agree 100%.

I never tuned into The X when Dejan filled-in for MM. Im hoping he's never on The X again.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I like when he is on the X because he has actual conversations and talks. He doesn't just call people stupid and stroke his own undeserved ego.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Jim wrote:I like when he is on the X because he has actual conversations and talks. He doesn't just call people stupid and stroke his own undeserved ego.
HA! Jim is the Madden of LGP. :lol: :lol:
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

ville5 wrote:
Jim wrote:I like when he is on the X because he has actual conversations and talks. He doesn't just call people stupid and stroke his own undeserved ego.
I've acquired a liking for Jim's pithy comments. It wasn't always that way. Ha.

(Edited for grammatical correction)
Last edited by Humperdink on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

ville5 wrote:
My shoes cost more than your hous... actually... I got them on sale via JCPenney's online and probably paid about $20 for them... so... My shoes (probably) cost more than you lunch!
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

I made a post last Friday on their "Friday Insider" piece, essentially noting that the Insider isn't worthwhile for Penguins news - I haven't learned anything I didn't already know since Yohe left on these pieces. Since then, my comment was deleted by the site, AND all of my current comments say that they are "Awaiting Moderation" before posting. Apparently they don't want any negative conversation on their site.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

ShipHockey7 wrote:I made a post last Friday on their "Friday Insider" piece, essentially noting that the Insider isn't worthwhile for Penguins news - I haven't learned anything I didn't already know since Yohe left on these pieces. Since then, my comment was deleted by the site, AND all of my current comments say that they are "Awaiting Moderation" before posting. Apparently they don't want any negative conversation on their site.
Enough for you to cancel your subscription?
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

peterleefan wrote:
ShipHockey7 wrote:I made a post last Friday on their "Friday Insider" piece, essentially noting that the Insider isn't worthwhile for Penguins news - I haven't learned anything I didn't already know since Yohe left on these pieces. Since then, my comment was deleted by the site, AND all of my current comments say that they are "Awaiting Moderation" before posting. Apparently they don't want any negative conversation on their site.
Enough for you to cancel your subscription?
Yes, I've moved to the Athletic
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

ejd43 wrote:I would rather listen to Benz over DK any day. Man do I miss Benz’ morning show on the X.
Was it ever publicly stated why the X Morning Show disbanded? All I seem to remember is the Olympics came and then Tim and Bob were gone.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Great58 wrote:
Was it ever publicly stated why the X Morning Show disbanded? All I seem to remember is the Olympics came and then Tim and Bob were gone.
If I recall correctly Tim left for Boston to take a gig up there for a little bit. I think his wife got a job doing news for a Boston station. I could be wrong though.
Brad McEachern

Post by Brad McEachern »

ejd43 wrote:
Great58 wrote:
If I recall correctly Tim left for Boston to take a gig up there for a little bit. I think his wife got a job doing news for a Boston station. I could be wrong though.
The morning show was broken up so Benz could become Sports Director at WXDX. It was after that that he accepted the gig at WEEI in Boston.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Brad McEachern wrote:
ejd43 wrote:
Great58 wrote:
The morning show was broken up so Benz could become Sports Director at WXDX. It was after that that he accepted the gig at WEEI in Boston.
See, I don’t buy that they break up the Morning Show to give Benz the Sports Director role. Nor do they do it over the Olympic break, and unannounced, if they want to project it as a good think for the station. A station keeps it’s morning show intact, as long as it can.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DK's site lost probably what was its longest tenured employee remaining. I saw that Audrey Snyder, who covered Penn State athletics, announced she just signed on with the Athletic.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

FLPensFan wrote:DK's site lost probably what was its longest tenured employee remaining. I saw that Audrey Snyder, who covered Penn State athletics, announced she just signed on with the Athletic.
Her and Lysowski were both hired in spring of 2016 - she very well may have been hired before him.

Im a former DK subscriber - I never got the cult-like following she had on that site. She is good but she's a beat reporter.

That type of fandom in journalism is reserved for the columnists - the opinion scribes whose words flowed as free as a great waterfall. The talents of a beat person crank out voluminous amounts of content but thats it - even her longform stuff was greeted as if she was Frank DeFord or Mike Lupica. Hey Im a Pitt fan - I always thought Lysowski's stuff was as good or better.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Cody Tucker now gone....after 2 months....
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Realist wrote:Cody Tucker now gone....after 2 months....
I just heard this after some tweets from Yohe and Kingerski. Anyone know if he left or was canned? It's funny, DK approached me on Twitter because I mentioned one of his site's articles in a Tweet, and he GAVE me a free year's subscription after I stated I left after all the Deadspin/Katie/Sara madness, and also wasn't happy that I had no way to turn off auto-renew, just cancel immediately. But, even with a free subscription, I find myself going there maybe 2-3 times a week, rather than 2-3 times per day.

His site never broke the 40,000 mark. I believe he said his initial goal was 20,000, which he crushed, but after topping out somewhere in the 39,000 range, the site has been backsliding ever since, now in the mid 37,000 range.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Lance Lysowski has now left DK Sports. Left on his own accord, even had a goodbye post on DK's site. But, my god, the turnover there is just incredible. In my eyes, on EVERY SINGLE BEAT, DK has had the best people in the business at his company at one point or another, and has burned through them all.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

This isn't even the full list.....
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

Have to admit that I was extremely annoyed the day he filled in on The X for Madden last week and absolutely panned every single caller that claimed the Steelers have a culture problem. Dared people to call in and convince him otherwise, yet cut half of them off the second he knew they were trying to argue against him.

DK was adamant that the team had an Antonio Brown and possibly a Coach problem. If that's your opinion, fine. I was just completely flabbergasted at his inability to grasp the idea that "culture" doesn't necessarily have to mean a player-only "culture" problem. It's an organizational culture problem. That, I think, is undeniable at this point over the past 5-6 years(?).

The guy has run his course filling in on the radio.