DK Pittsburgh Sports...lots of turnover in employees...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: DK Pittsburgh Sports...lots of turnover in employees...

Post by Realist »

Durbano wrote:Sara Civian no longer with DK's operation.
Geeee....who saw that coming? Bahahaha
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Sara Civian is now TOTALLY ripping DK through veiled Twitter replies and how DK treats people. Long overdue...
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

The best is DK using a picture of himself from 20 years ago on the site.
:lol:
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Realist wrote:Sara Civian is now TOTALLY ripping DK through veiled Twitter replies and how DK treats people. Long overdue...
Hmnmmm.... Didn't really see it, even trying to read between the lines.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Durbano wrote:
Realist wrote:Sara Civian is now TOTALLY ripping DK through veiled Twitter replies and how DK treats people. Long overdue...
Hmnmmm.... Didn't really see it, even trying to read between the lines.
Agreeing with people not to subscribe to the site? Doesn't take Sheldon Cooper.....lol
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Ha! Yeah, nothing subtle about that. I missed it or maybe she deleted it.

Matt G. is now the full-time Pens beat writer.
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

Durbano wrote:Ha! Yeah, nothing subtle about that. I missed it or maybe she deleted it.

Matt G. is now the full-time Pens beat writer.
Will be interesting to see how this affects the new writer, Katie - would suspect she came into this job thinking she was the lead beat writer. She hasn't tweeted much since the announcement that Gatjka was taking over.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

According to her post, Katie is covering tonight's game solo. FWIW.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

And....Katie Brown is now gone and DK is bragging about firing her.

In typical DK fashion, he is stating how the temporary new hire is gold.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Realist wrote:And....Katie Brown is now gone and DK is bragging about firing her.

It's about time to start a DK "Deadpool." Who will be the next person to leave, be replaced, or fired???

Honestly, I didn't really care for Katie, or Sara Civian, who, had seemed to have been let go, brought back, and now let go recently yet again.

Jason Mackey, Josh Yohe, Seth Rorabaugh, Katie Brown, Sara Civian, Alan Saunders, Dustin Dopriak, Mark Kaboly, Dave DiCello, Jared Wickerman, Rob/Ron (guy he hired to be editor).......I'm sure I'm missing quite a few, but, DAMN, that is a crap load of turnover.

My subscription is up in August. There is no chance I am renewing. I find myself going there less and less, because the weekly features I like continue to get bumped off the schedule, and I don't really care for any of the writers.

DK has run his own venture into the ground, and it amazes me the blind sheep that follow him on his site and praise his every move as the right choice, kick the departed people as the walk out the door. Used to be a big DK fan.....but his true colors have come out.

Need to decide between paying for PG coverage, because I like Mackey's work, he's quite accessible via Twitter and his weekly chats......or trying out the Athletic.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

FLPensFan wrote:
Realist wrote:And....Katie Brown is now gone and DK is bragging about firing her.

It's about time to start a DK "Deadpool." Who will be the next person to leave, be replaced, or fired???

Honestly, I didn't really care for Katie, or Sara Civian, who, had seemed to have been let go, brought back, and now let go recently yet again.

Jason Mackey, Josh Yohe, Seth Rorabaugh, Katie Brown, Sara Civian, Alan Saunders, Dustin Dopriak, Mark Kaboly, Dave DiCello, Jared Wickerman, Rob/Ron (guy he hired to be editor).......I'm sure I'm missing quite a few, but, DAMN, that is a crap load of turnover.

My subscription is up in August. There is no chance I am renewing. I find myself going there less and less, because the weekly features I like continue to get bumped off the schedule, and I don't really care for any of the writers.

DK has run his own venture into the ground, and it amazes me the blind sheep that follow him on his site and praise his every move as the right choice, kick the departed people as the walk out the door. Used to be a big DK fan.....but his true colors have come out.

Need to decide between paying for PG coverage, because I like Mackey's work, he's quite accessible via Twitter and his weekly chats......or trying out the Athletic.
Same here. Didn't ever feel like Katie Brown ever sunk her teeth into the coverage. I'm sure assigning the beat to Gajtka sounds good in theory, but he's been in delivering news. Yohe's stuff became dull and tired, but at least it was useful to the reader. Count me out of renewing as well.

More than anything, it just feels like DK and Matt don't have a good feel for this team, like they've really grasped just how much work Yohe did.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Katie is gone? This is bordering on comical.

I still check the site but not as frequently as before, and I find myself skimming the headlines rather than reading the articles. Exceptions here and there, but it's just not the same these days.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Durbano wrote:Katie is gone? This is bordering on comical.

I still check the site but not as frequently as before, and I find myself skimming the headlines rather than reading the articles. Exceptions here and there, but it's just not the same these days.
Plus someone had that text message image going around which is supposdly DK saying what an idiot Katie is...very harsh stuff.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Dejan Kovacevic‏Verified account
@Dejan_Kovacevic
21m21 minutes ago
More
So I got some not-so-great health news yesterday: I have Type 2 Diabetes, which is the lesser version but still serious. It’ll involve a significant change in lifestyle, diet and all that. Noticed early enough that I don’t have to tI'm sharing this mostly so that anyone who suspects or has symptoms goes to get checked. I was checked about a year ago, showed signs, then stupidly decided I was too busy to get anything done. Don't do that. Visit: @AmDiabetesAssn 2/3ake insulin. Just need to be a lot smarter.
Obviously, this doesn't affect the site in any way. I need to slow down enough to have a semi-normal life, eat better, exercise, relax with kids, but the workload and the focus won't change at all.
Healing vibes to Dejan!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

As long as he decides to not be as big as a house he will be fine.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

DelPen wrote:As long as he decides to not be as big as a house he will be fine.
Madden says what?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Katie Brown finally drops the boom on what happened to her at DK Sports. I have to say, I never really cared for her work, but, I think that was more me being a fan of both Mackey and Yohe's coverage. I wouldn't say she was awful. She just never seemed to get a fair shake. But, this story kind of reaffirms how Dejan treats his employees like trash, unless you are one of his chosen few.....which is down to Gajtka, Lysowski, and Haase at this point.

The guy is losing subscribers by the week. He failed to break 40K in subscribers, and I have slowly watched his little ticker at the bottom of the page moving in the negative direction. Peaked around 39,381, and has dropping by a few each week, sitting at 39,312 right now, after gaining 100's of subscribers a week for months. My subscription is up in August and I won't renew. I'd actually pull my card info from the site ASAP, however, I'm afraid if I hit cancel, they are going to cut off my access for something I already paid for the year.

Here's a link to Katie's story: https://medium.com/@ktbrwn.85/ive-strug ... 04f7d165e6

And as soon as I posted this, Seth pumps out a 40% off the Athletic tweet. To DKPS, I say:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT90D0GKZRM[/youtube]
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

So he wasn't thorough in the interview process and took it out on her.

No benefits and they don't reimburse for mileage.

I know there are two sides (at least) to every story but the way he announced the firing was a giant red flag. No class at all.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Durbano wrote:So he wasn't thorough in the interview process and took it out on her.

No benefits and they don't reimburse for mileage.

I know there are two sides (at least) to every story but the way he announced the firing was a giant red flag. No class at all.
Or his "apology," which, basically admits he's a jerk and a bad boss at times, even links to her blog post about him, talks about being better, and does everything BUT apologize to her. Kind of reminds me of Mario Batali saying I'm sorry for sexual harrassing people, but here's a great cinnamon roll recipe.

https://t.co/dnMlnFFtK5

I didn't really care for Katie. I don't think it was her personally. I really think it was she had big shoes to fill in Yohe and Mackey, and, she was new in town. She needed time to establish relationships with players, management, etc. I don't know how much of her side is true or really what part of DK's is true (he really didn't deny anything she said)......but I do know there are a multitude of people, probably greater than 50%, that left/fired, and a large majority of them had very negative things to say. 1 or 2 and you think he hired people with no class and sour grapes. But when it is multiple, the needle swings the other way, especially when you can see some of it yourself firsthand.

DK went on about working to get the best people for coverage. Unfortunately, as much as he wants to try and trump that up, that ship has sailed. Kaboly and whoever on Steelers, Yohe and Mackey on Penguins, Gajtka and Lysowski on Pirates would have been that lineup. Instead, he lost Kaboly and Yohe. The salaries at the Athletic aren't as high as he claims, and, I often wonder for as much as he did to get those two to his site, his poor management style may have made leaving for another startup that much easier. Mackey he jerked around on multiple beats, and while he still has Gajtka, he is pretty much doing the same thing to him.

I had enough yesterday. I really wanted to just remove my card information so they couldn't auto renew next year.......but they don't give you that option. Only option you have is to cancel immediately, which I happily did and signed up for the Athletic yesterday.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

From DK's intro of Katie upon her hire:

"I could go on and on about the countless recommendations sent this way on Katie’s behalf, some of those having begun earlier this summer when she moved back, but let’s just say they came from across the continent, as I’m betting you’ll see for yourself on social media following this announcement. But what I’ve found out myself in interviewing her over the past four days is that she lives and breathes the game, she’s hyper-intelligent on a lot of levels, she’s got the approachable personality to match, and she’s very much a match for what we specifically need on our hockey coverage team."
Brad McEachern

Post by Brad McEachern »

And Steelers beat writer and DK employee Dale Lolley weighs in on this "controversy" (and then proceeds to have a go at basically anyone in the comments who disagrees with him)
Dale Lolley‏ @dlolley_pgh Dec 30
Word of advice to the young ones out there: Don't air your dirty laundry in public. No. Matter. What. No matter how you feel you were unjustly treated or mistreated, potential future employers don't care. They just wonder if you'll do the same thing to them.

And then they don't hire you. Your life doesn't have to be played out on social media. You're not special or interesting.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Brad McEachern wrote:And Steelers beat writer and DK employee Dale Lolley weighs in on this "controversy" (and then proceeds to have a go at basically anyone in the comments who disagrees with him)
Word of advice to the young ones out there: Don't air your dirty laundry in public. No. Matter. What. No matter how you feel you were unjustly treated or mistreated, potential future employers don't care. They just wonder if you'll do the same thing to them.

And then they don't hire you. Your life doesn't have to be played out on social media. You're not special or interesting.
As opposed to say .... lecturing a former co-worker on social media.
Brad McEachern

Post by Brad McEachern »

Humperdink wrote:
Brad McEachern wrote:And Steelers beat writer and DK employee Dale Lolley weighs in on this "controversy" (and then proceeds to have a go at basically anyone in the comments who disagrees with him)

As opposed to say .... lecturing a former co-worker on social media.
Yup. Either way not a good look for Dale.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I wouldn't know DK from a fire hydrant, but after following this mess, someone needs to whisper in his ear that hiring an HR consultant might be a wise move.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

I agree. 1-2 employees leaving on bad terms is one thing. But tons leaving is another. The acusation that Taylor Haase logged into Alan Saunders Twitter DM's without Alan's consent per DK's greenlight after Alan left DK is troubling.

Plus, I'm shocked the other rumours from those who left aren't somewhat true. Jared Wickerham, Katie Brown, Sarah Civian, Alan Saunders, Jason Mackey, etc must all be lying...right? Lol