Pittsburgh Pirates

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by Badger Bob »

.500 and falling.

Why does this team employ Sean Rodriguez?
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

With Cutch gone he's the tie that binds heart and soul ? :roll:
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Let's see what the Pirates do now... with a 9 game winning streak.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

This team is an enigma. I was ready for the inevitable fall and the selloff of the higher priced players for prospects, now this. Go figure.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

They lost today so they can start the losing skid now. :roll:
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Badger Bob wrote:This team is an enigma. I was ready for the inevitable fall and the selloff of the higher priced players for prospects, now this. Go figure.
Sadly, the recent above average performance(s) by the Buccos give Nutting the excuse to stay the course.
joey leo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joey leo »

Any of you smarter about baseball than me folks (which should be nearly anyone) have any takes on the Meadows/Glasnow for Archer trade? Because it seems like Meadows is the type of guy you maybe want to keep, but, I dunno, it's also super hard to get too worked up about this organization.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

joey leo wrote:Any of you smarter about baseball than me folks (which should be nearly anyone) have any takes on the Meadows/Glasnow for Archer trade? Because it seems like Meadows is the type of guy you maybe want to keep, but, I dunno, it's also super hard to get too worked up about this organization.
Archer better be the next best thing since sliced bread at that price. I don't have a problem with Glasnow but throw in Meadows along with a player to be named later and it seems juuuust a tad steep.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Archer though is a legit ace and under contract for three more years. Meadows might be good but won’t crack the lineup for a long time.

It’s a good trade and looks ahead to next year too. Not sure if this team can make up 6 more games and keep it up but another win today would help a lot to make any type of playoff.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Jim wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice! I thought about that yesterday too.

Anyhow, you gotta give up something to get something. Glasnow has never lived up to his potential. He was on fire in AAA as a starter, but has had issues getting anywhere close to that at the MLB level. Meadows was actually having a sub par year in AAA this year. He just happened to have a hot month when he got moved to the big team. Pirates have got some good OF prospects in the farm system too. They picked an OF in the first round this year as well (Swaggerty). I've heard some rumors that the player to be named later is Kang, but I find that hard to believe. I would imagine there's a list of prospects that would be provided to Tampa if the Pirates make the playoffs and another list, if they don't.

From all accounts, Archer is also a top notch human and fiery too. Has a hell of a fastball and breaking pitch. Sounds like AJ Burnett to me. :)

Just when I wanted to give up on the basterds, they had to do this: Win 16 of 20 and make a huge splash at the trade deadline. I saw this coming......... said no one.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

I Hear ya BB. I was just thinking about all those years where Shero traded away 1st round picks for rentals that never panned out. I know Kela and Archer are good established pitchers. Archer being a starter and Kela being a better RHP than Glasnow would ever have been are high stakes aquisitions. I just wasn't crazy on giving up on Meadows just yet. Kang being the player named later would be awesome.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

stonewizard51 wrote:I Hear ya BB. I was just thinking about all those years where Shero traded away 1st round picks for rentals that never panned out. I know Kela and Archer are good established pitchers. Archer being a starter and Kela being a better RHP than Glasnow would ever have been are high stakes aquisitions. I just wasn't crazy on giving up on Meadows just yet. Kang being the player named later would be awesome.
• I'm told the player to be named later heading to the Rangers is a lower-tier prospect, while the one going to Tampa is of a much higher pedigree. Although some are speculating a major-league player is headed to the Rays, I've heard that's not the case. Instead, the Pirates will indeed part with one of their top prospects, although it's not Mitch Keller or Ke'Bryan Hayes  -- Lysowski
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Watching home opener. Gonna get Hurdled again?
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Embarrassing loss
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Another Pirate traded. Payroll is at $43M? Yikes...
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

There is no point in following this team until there is a new owner. Otherwise you are just asking for heartache.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Is there a way to compare the 1991 Pirates payroll to what is projected for 2021?

Stacked team then / soup bones today.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Interesting that the first national Pirates broadcast (that didn't occur until May 31st) refers to them as a "rebuilding team". With exactly one post-season appearance in the last 29 years (disregarding 2 wild card game losses), at exactly what point does it stop being called a rebuild and start being called another Bob Nutting disaster? Yes, he's only been the owner for half that period, but in that time he has effectively (and one could easily argue purposefully) dismantled any progress they've made.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

IMHO Nutting needs the Pirates for a tax write off. Until he sells the team, what you see is what you get. It's SOSDD.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

stonewizard51 wrote:IMHO Nutting needs the Pirates for a tax write off. Until he sells the team, what you see is what you get. It's SOSDD.
He makes 10s of millions in profit every year from what I've read.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Laughingstock does not even start to explain how bad this organization has become.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

ville5 wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:IMHO Nutting needs the Pirates for a tax write off. Until he sells the team, what you see is what you get. It's SOSDD.
He makes 10s of millions in profit every year from what I've read.
Good for him ?? Fans not so much.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Traded Frazier? Explain to me again why anyone would pay to watch this team...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Zarovich wrote:Traded Frazier? Explain to me again why anyone would pay to watch this team...
Hopefully these trades lead to a good team in a few years. At least are getting back what seem to be on paper legit prospects. And this team as is won’t do anything to get to the post season with the guys we keep trading.

But at some point they need to stop trading away all the good players. It is getting frustrating especially seeing other smaller markets do what’s was needed to get over the hump and win it all a few times recently.