Pittsburgh Pirates

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by ville5 »

Very impressive draft and signing period by Mr. Cherrington.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I saw a this online about the Pirates maybe bringing McCutchen back and I wondered where he had been (as I do not follow baseball at all). The trade out of Pittsburgh is listed as:

On January 15, 2018, the Pirates traded McCutchen to the San Francisco Giants, along with cash considerations, in exchange for Kyle Crick, Bryan Reynolds, and $500,000 of international bonus slot money

What are "cash considerations"? Literally money? If the Pirates get rid of guys because they are cheap bastards, why would they give away money in a trade?
The "international bonus slot money" sounds like something out of a video game.

Is MLB just a giant money laundering scheme?
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Jim wrote:I saw a this online about the Pirates maybe bringing McCutchen back and I wondered where he had been (as I do not follow baseball at all). The trade out of Pittsburgh is listed as:

On January 15, 2018, the Pirates traded McCutchen to the San Francisco Giants, along with cash considerations, in exchange for Kyle Crick, Bryan Reynolds, and $500,000 of international bonus slot money

What are "cash considerations"? Literally money? If the Pirates get rid of guys because they are cheap bastards, why would they give away money in a trade?
The "international bonus slot money" sounds like something out of a video game.

Is MLB just a giant money laundering scheme?
I think MLB is like a big spending account where if you don’t use it, you lose. So the Pirates had some money to unload since they didn’t spend enough and the Giants had int’l bonus slot money the Pirates could throw away for them. Just one big shell game.