Other NHL Games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Other NHL Games

Post by Southern Fan »

Hard to believe the caps score 4 and the great Holtby would lose. Stay on your feet Carlson.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I guess giving up 5 goals kinda ends the shutout streak.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Malkintent wrote:Hahahaha as I'm typing Reaves ties it. The hockey gods are funny.
Absolutely. Nosek had what, 7 goals on the season? 2 in the 3rd and of course Reaves.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Humperdink wrote:LOL
Can't fix stupid.... just plaster over it and when the crack comes back, plaster over it again.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

I think people should isolate on Matt Niskanen and/or Patric Hornqvist to determine when a cross check is a penalty. Reaves must’ve strong because Carlson did an Oshie impersonation.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Southern Fan wrote:I think people should isolate on Matt Niskanen and/or Patric Hornqvist to determine when a cross check is a penalty. Reaves must’ve strong because Carlson did an Oshie impersonation.
Orpik is the key to that discussion. When someone winds up to shoot Orpik is already spinning the guy in front of the net. Nearly every shift. It never gets called. The puck is still out at the blueline and the guy in front of the net is getting a whiplash test by Brooks.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Per Kevin Allen- free pass for Wilson. Well except that the refs called nothing on Reaves and the goal counted.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Sorry for the long read. Excerpts from a Scott Allen piece last month on Tom Wilson. And these don't include last night or in the last series in Tampa when he extended his leg and almost stabbed Chris Kunitz. I don't know how his career ends well.

Dec. 19, 2013: Brayden Schenn
Capitals Coach Adam Oates defended the hit.
“He’s a big, strong guy,” “He hit him in the elbow first. He went through the guy, that’s all. That’s how I see it.”
“It’s a tough, reckless play; a hit from behind,” Flyers Coach Craig Berube said.
Wilson had a phone hearing with the NHL, but avoided a suspension. Then-NHL vice president of player safety Brendan Shanahan noted in a video explaining the league’s decision that Schenn turned his back to avoid the check, which “greatly contributed to the outcome.”
“I think I made a clean check,” Wilson said.

April 2015: Lubomir Visnovsky
“It was a hard, clean hit,” Capitals Coach Barry Trotz said after the game. “He didn’t leave his feet, he stayed low, puck’s right there, all those things. Tom Wilson didn’t do anything other than run him over. Tom Wilson’s a lot bigger than their player and he hit him clean. It’s really no different than like Martin or Clutterbuck or Cizikas, they’re hitting hard and they’re hitting clean.”
“Whenever I make a body check, I’m trying to make sure I’m doing everything as clean as possible, staying on my feet and finishing hard and low through the guy’s body,” Wilson said. “He’s a littler guy and obviously … he wasn’t feeling great afterwards. It’s tough. I hope he’s feeling alright. You never want to see a guy go down like that, but it’s a hard enough sport and it’s a hard-hitting sport, so that’s going to happen.”
The Islanders, who were without Visnovsky for the final three games of the series, saw things differently. “The puck wasn’t even close to where Lubo was, so it was just a complete target of a defenseless player.”
“He’s an idiot,” Islanders forward Kyle Okposo said of Wilson. “That guy runs around, he hits reckless. He jumps, leaves his feet. There’s no place for that.”
Wilson didn’t face any supplemental discipline for the hit.

Dec. 10, 2015: Brian Campbell
Wilson received a major for boarding and a game misconduct the following season, but did not face any supplemental discipline for checking Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell from behind and into the boards.

Dec. 16, 2015: Curtis Lazar
Less than a week after his hit on Campbell, Wilson received a match penalty for a hit on Senators center Curtis Lazar late in the third period of a 2-1 Capitals win.
“You can be your own judge,” Trotz said of the hit after the game. “I don’t even know if that was a penalty in the league. … The point of contact is at his hip. His hands are down. He’s tracking the puck. He’s trying to take his space because Lazar’s cutting, trying to get by our defenseman and he was taking space. I feel bad for Willy, but the guys, they fought through that. The league’s very good at using common sense on plays, so I’m sure they’ll look at that and I’m sure that [Capitals GM Brian MacLellan] will talk to the league on that one, and we’ll go from there.”
Wilson avoided suspension and the league rescinded the match penalty, removing it from Wilson’s record, after deciding that Wilson first made contact with Lazar’s hip.
“I’ve been that kind of player my whole life, that physical player, and I just have to trust … my habits,” Wilson said then. “When I’m going in to hit someone, my reads, my instincts — I just have to trust that those are going to be good, because I’ve played within the rules until this point, and obviously, that could have maybe been a two-minute penalty, it could have been no penalty, it could have been what it was — a five-minute penalty. … [The referees] were trying to do their jobs, and I completely understand that. It’s just frustrating that maybe if it’s another player, it might not be a five-minute match penalty. I don’t know what goes into it.”

April 2016: Conor Sheary
During Game 1 of the Capitals-Penguins second round series in 2016, Wilson delivered a knee-on-knee hit to Pittsburgh forward Conor Sheary while heading to the bench for a line change. Wilson wasn’t penalized and Sheary remained in the game.
“Sheary gives a little shimmy, and it was really shin-on-shin,” Trotz said.
The NHL Department of Player safety announced a $2,403.67 fine, but no suspension, for Wilson. The fine was the maximum allowable under the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

December 31, 2016: Tom Moore
The following season, New Jersey defenseman John Moore had to be carried off the ice on a stretcher after being hit from behind by Wilson and then crashing into the boards. Moore was diagnosed with a concussion.
“I wouldn’t necessarily say it was a dirty play,” Devils Coach John Hynes said. “It looked like a hit from behind. His back was turned on the glass and he was hit pretty hard into the glass. It looked like it was a penalty. The refs felt because he didn’t get launched into the glass it wasn’t a penalty. It’s not my decision to buy or not buy [that].”
“Never want to see that,” Wilson said. “But I’m going in on the forecheck, his back is to me, so I tried to let up a little bit — I wasn’t trying to finish my check — and kind of rubbed him out. Honestly, I wasn’t aware he really had gone down until I looked back. That play happens an awful lot in hockey, those over pucks. I don’t know if he couldn’t get his hands up to protect himself or whatever, but obviously not my intent and wishing him the best.”
The Department of Player Safety did not schedule a hearing to review the hit and Wilson avoided further discipline.

September 22, 2017: Robert Thomas
During his junior days, Wilson was once suspended for five games by the Ontario Hockey League for hitting from behind, but his first NHL suspension came as a result of all a hit that didn’t draw a penalty in a preseason game.
In announcing that Wilson would be suspended for two preseason contests, the NHL Department of Player Safety cited the “predatory nature and force” of Wilson’s hit on the Blues’ Robert Thomas, further explaining that it came more than a full second after the St. Louis center lost control of the puck and was eligible to be checked.
“I didn’t go through it; I saw it real briefly just on the monitor,” Trotz said of the hit. “I didn’t think anything of it, but obviously they did.

October 1, 2017: Sam Blais
Eight days later, in another preseason game against the Blues, Wilson was suspended for the first four games of the regular season for boarding Sam Blais.
In the video explanation of the suspension, the Department of Player Safety said that Wilson, given his angle of approach, was never in position to deliver a legal body check on the defenseless Blais.
“While we understand Wilson’s explanation that he attempted to move around Blais in a way that would enable him to deliver a shoulder-to-shoulder check, he was unsuccessful in this attempt,” the league said. “The onus is on Wilson to deliver this hit in a legal fashion, minimize the force of this hit, or avoid this hit completely. Instead, having seen nothing but Blais’s numbers for some time, he drives forcefully through Blais’s upper back, driving him dangerously into the boards.”
Wilson was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for the hit during the game.
“It’s tough,” Wilson said after the suspension was announced. “For four years, five years, you just go out there, you play your game. And then this thing happens in the preseason, an interference call, and now you’re playing with a bit of a record now and it’s maybe a little bit tougher, but that’s part of the sport. People will have their opinions and I just got to trust my game . . . . You’ve got to play within the rules. You’ve got to play hard. But that physical element’s part of my game.”

April 12, 2018: Alex Wennberg
In Game 1 of the Capitals’ first round series against the Blue Jackets last month, Wilson found himself at the center of controversy once again after delivering a blindside hit to Columbus forward Alex Wennberg.
“I’m just trying to finish my check there,” Wilson said of the hit after the Capitals’ 4-3 overtime loss.
“The hit on Wennberg for me is a dangerous hit,” Blue Jackets General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen said during a conference call with reporters.
Wilson avoided further discipline from the league, as the Department of Player Safety could not determine whether Wennberg’s head was the main point of contact for Wilson’s hit upon review of the available camera angles. Wennberg would miss the next three games of the series.

Sunday: Brian Dumoulin
Wilson was back in the spotlight after Sunday’s Game 2 win over the Penguins for his second-period hit on Brian Dumoulin that knocked the Penguins’ defenseman out of the game. Wilson’s shoulder appeared to catch Dumoulin in the head as Dumoulin turned to brace himself for a hit by Alex Ovechkin.
“I’m at no point trying to target the head at all,” Wilson said. “I’m skating, backchecking, trying to do my job, and unfortunately there’s a collision there. … I think if you watch it at game speed, I don’t even alter my movement at all. I’m just skating straight. The way I look at it: There’s no way I can get his head from that point where I am. He stops and turns and I’m kind of right there as [Ovechkin is] coming in pretty aggressively. It’s a collision. I end up getting blown right out of the water, too. It’s a bit of an unfortunate play that he got hurt.”
A person familiar with the NHL’s supplemental discipline process told The Post’s Isabelle Khurshudyan that, in reviewing the play, the league determined that Dumoulin materially changed the position of his head and body immediately before contact and Wilson did not initiate the hit.

Tuesday: Zach Aston-Reese
“Tom is obviously a big body,” Trotz said. “He’s tremendously strong and he hits hard. My first look at the hit, both guys are bracing for it. It was shoulder-to-shoulder and he just blew through him. To me, it was a hard hockey hit.”
After reviewing the play, the Department of Player Safety ruled that while Wilson led with his shoulder, he elevated to make Aston-Reese’s head the main point of contact. Aston-Reese’s injury and Wilson’s two suspensions earlier this season led to the three-game suspension, which could keep Wilson off the ice until a potential Game 7. And that could make this the most debated Wilson hit of all.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

It is amusing, while at the same time sad, to read the reaction of Baghdad Barry Trotz to Wilson egregious behavior.

To paraphrase the quote from the movie The Outlaw Josie Wales, "He's easy to track, he leaves concussions where ever he goes".
Last edited by Humperdink on Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Stillerz Bar »

Every team should send a list of Wilson's offenses to the league before each game with a message that says "Please keep this repeat offender from injuring our players" so there is no doubt that everyone is watching how they handle his thuggery and the league has a reminder every single game. Just like they did with Cooke, even borderline plays should be punished until he either plays clean of leaves the game.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Stillerz Bar wrote:Every team should send a list of Wilson's offenses to the league before each game with a message that says "Please keep this repeat offender from injuring our players" so there is no doubt that everyone is watching how they handle his thuggery and the league has a reminder every single game. Just like they did with Cooke, even borderline plays should be punished until he either plays clean of leaves the game.
Why change when the league does very little, if not nothing, his coach always supports his actions, and not one player from any team makes him answer for his actions or better yet, takes liberties to OV, Backstrom or flapping wing boy.......making sure Wilson knows they got cheap shotted because of his actions and lack of respect for players.

I wonder if he would change when OV or someone else got hurt and knew it was because of His actions?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Post by Malkintent »

Real Deal baby!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Have you ever seen worst ice?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Malkintent wrote:Real Deal baby!
Go Flower!
Up to his old tricks, stopping Ovechkin!
Last edited by penny lane on Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Malkintent »

Oh no, Kuzy hurt one of his wings.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Bad defense by Vegas
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Malkintent »

Orpik just elbowed Neal in the face. No respect for former teammates.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Hey Vegas, let's go!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

How the Caps are winning is beyond me. They are being completely outplayed
PensFanSince1970
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PensFanSince1970 »

I have a bad feeling about this game
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

When Orpik scores you know Fleury is having a bad night
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Wilson draws a penalty karma does not exist
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Liverlips »

Kinda wish 75 would have got his money’s worth on that call. Angles I saw at first look to me like 43 sold it. Blecch.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Refs obviously heard about the Reaves non-call in Game 1 and nailed Tuch for it this time around. Yeah, it's a penalty, but dmen have forever been allowed to do the same cross-checks to the back of any forward a few feet outside the blue and it's fine by me for forwards to do the same, but refs will never see it that way. Also, Carlson is rivaling Sheary for lack of strength on his skates.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

This would be a huge win for the Caps