Other NHL Games >>>>>>>

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Other NHL Games >>>>>>>

Post by Humperdink »

Highly entertaining Lightning v. Bruins game tonight. 3-2 after 2 periods, TB leading. Multiple scraps, intense game.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Other NHL Games >>>>>>>

Post by ville5 »

Frank Seravalli

@frank_seravalli

·

14h

Told the #sjsharks

will abide by Santa Clara County’s order / guideline. Three options now for three home games sked during ban on mass gatherings. 1) Play w/o fans in SAP Center 2) Neutral Site 3) Postpone & Reschedule Exact path TBD, plenty of time w team away on 9-day trip.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Injuries today~ Dougie Hamilton. His return viewed in months.
Caps back up goalie?
Samantha Pell
@SamanthaJPell
·
36m
News: Ilya Samsonov sustained an injury prior to the resumption of the 2019-20 NHL season, per team.

Samsonov will not travel to Toronto and will remain in Washington to continue undergoing treatment. The Caps expect him to be healthy for 20/21 season
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Great to see a real hockey game again! Canes-NYR off to a decent start in terms of intensity, though the tempo is a little on the slow side and you can see the rust.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Hawks up 4-1 in the first. Have to come out strong!
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

NHL incompetence on full display tonight. The incomprehensible decision to play every conference game on the same sheet of ice was not enough of a bad decision (because certainly there are no other easily accessible regulation rinks nearby in Edmonton or Toronto). The NHL then decides to start the actual playoffs with four games on the same day scheduled 2.5 hours apart supposedly airing on the same channel. Let's completely ignore the fact that a playoff game ending in 2 and one half hours is pretty unlikely.

So day 1... the first game of the playoffs is still going 5.5 hours after starting in the 4th OT. Game 1 of the western conference game was already completely eclipsed by this fact and is over before coverage could even begin. It's 45 minutes after the second ec game between Boston and Carolina was supposed to start, but they can't even do that due to the fact that they are playing on the same ice. Said ice is sure to be in grand shape right from the start of that game, whenever that may be, so it will surely be a quality hockey display. Then there's the second wc game, which also will get no coverage because they're still trying to show BOS-CAR.

It's almost like everyone involved in the scheduling and decision making has never witnessed playoff hockey before. Who could've forseen playoff hockey running long?

...edit...

LOL, now, halfway through the 5th overtime, the NHL has rescheduled the BOS-CAR game to tomorrow at 1100AM, with game 2 remaining Thu. at 800PM. That means PHI-MON gets to play their first game of the series tomorrow as the 3rd game on the same ice for the day... maybe.

What a clown show.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Julien rushed to hospital With chest pains. I guess he’s done coaching this season if there is a two week quarantine to get back into the bubble.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Tuukka may be available next year?

Hockey needs more folks not towing the company line.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote:Tuukka may be available next year?

His comments the other day about how these games don’t feel like playoff games couldn’t have sat well with his teammates and management. I could easily see Neely saying pack your stuff and head home if you’re not in playoff mode.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

KG wrote:
penny lane wrote:Tuukka may be available next year?

His comments the other day about how these games don’t feel like playoff games couldn’t have sat well with his teammates and management. I could easily see Neely saying pack your stuff and head home if you’re not in playoff mode.
I've watched most of the post-season games and Game 2 of Bruins-Canes was really intense good hockey and a pleasure to watch. Two teams really going at it with everything they had at a real uptempo pace. For Rask to not have his heart and head in it after that kind of game puzzles me. I guess he only plays for the fans and his own glory and not his teammates or the organization. Bruins lost on a perfect blast from Hamilton that no goalie is stopping and Rask decides to whine about the atmosphere.

He did the team a favor by leaving but I'm pretty sure they are rightfully pissed at him and his low compete level right now. Bruins may have mailed it in for the round robin series, but they are hitting on all cylinders now and look like the team that was #1 in the season and a favorite to win it all. Halak was good today, though he gave Carolina their only goal on a horribly failed up the middle clearing attempt. Halak could be enough to win it all with, B's are really deep and a force.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

If anyone needs a hint that the press is completely detached from reality and rational thought, I present this load of garbage...

https://sports.yahoo.com/rasks-decision ... ml?src=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How anyone could take this as an example of why this championship should *not* have an asterisk is a complete and delusional moron. Conveniently, Yahoo presents this crap after disabling all user comments so no one can point this out.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

The NHL deserves credit for pulling this off, but it's unfortunate they didn't call the playoffs the 2020 playoffs (rather than Stanley Cup playoffs), and award a championship trophy to the winner (but not the Cup). Maybe the players wouldn't have bought into it in that case.

Rask quit on his teammates. He should have opted out before heading to Toronto. I can't imagine anyone arguing against family being the top priority, but he didn't leave because of an emergency. He left because he wanted to go home. The Bruins are smart not to rip him publicly, but how many of them would trust him again as a teammate?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

~Sing it with me, all together now.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Caps move on from Reirden. He’s no Trotz apparently.

Caps are 1-7 their last 8 playoff games I read. Doing their best Pens impersonation apparently....
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Lehner just pulled his best Matt Murray impression.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

Pruezy11881 wrote:Lehner just pulled his best Matt Murray impression.
I was surprised the knights went back to lehner after the gem Flower put out there in game 3. Hopefully they go back to Fleury moving forward so I can have a team to pull for this post season. While I still believe the pens made the right move for all concerned in the Vegas draft, I still love Fleury and will root for him in any game where he isn't against the pens.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Lehner just pulled his best Matt Murray impression.
I was surprised the knights went back to lehner after the gem Flower put out there in game 3. Hopefully they go back to Fleury moving forward so I can have a team to pull for this post season. While I still believe the pens made the right move for all concerned in the Vegas draft, I still love Fleury and will root for him in any game where he isn't against the pens.
It was a back-to-back situation and the plan was to use both. Can't really argue with the thinking there as using both goalies in these circumstances is becoming a lot more frequent than normal because of back-to-back situations.

Lehner looked like he definitely was trying to headbutt the puck away and then......I've seen pucks go in after hitting the mask, but the goaltender wasn't trying for a header on them.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Tuned in on the Vegas / Vancouver game. After the Penguins bowing out, I wanted Phoenix to claim the Cup. Now, for me, I am pulling for Vegas over NY for the title.

With, or without an asterisk, the parade down 'The Strip' would be interesting to see.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

So, after the agent/coach drama earlier, who thinks Deboer tries to proves he's the boss and starts Lehner tonight despite 2 straight losses and a back-to-back situation? If he truly believed Lehner should be the starter, the obvious choice after the game 5 Lehner loss would have been to start Fleury in game 6 and have your "starter" in reserve if necessary for the next night potential game 7. Now, he's painted himself into a corner. Does he pin his teams hopes of continuing the playoffs on the goalie he's only trusted to 3 starts all playoffs (who happened to win all three), or does he go all-in on the stubborn play and stick with the goalie that's lost 2 straight, including the night before?

The choice would seem painfully obvious, but with Deboer making the decision I'm not so sure.
Last edited by Sigwolf on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Sigwolf wrote:So, after the agent/coach drama earlier, who thinks Debouer tries to proves he's the boss and starts Lehner tonight despite 2 straight losses and a back-to-back situation? If he truly believed Lehner should be the starter, the obvious choice after the game 5 Lehner loss would have been to start Fleury in game 6 and have your "starter" in reserve if necessary for the next night potential game 7. Now, he's painted himself into a corner. Does he pin his teams hopes of continuing the playoffs on the goalie he's only trusted to 3 starts all playoffs (who happened to win all three), or does he go all-in on the stubborn play and stick with the goalie that's lost 2 straight, including the night before?

The choice would seem painfully obvious, but with Debouer making the decision I'm not so sure.
He put himself into a sticky situation and I think he felt Vegas wins Game 6 and ends the series so no concern about back to back and who starts. Considering how the Knights dominated in Game 5 everywhere except the scoreboard, I can see the thinking that play the same in Game 6 and this time, victory. Problem is that the Knights played even better in Game 6 and still lost thanks to another incredible performance by Denmo.

I think he'll go with the rested MAF, though it wasn't like Lehner saw too much action last night. Whoever gets the nod, a Vegas loss and DeBoer will really be questioned unless it's a 1-0 loss in OT.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

brwi wrote: I think he'll go with the rested MAF, though it wasn't like Lehner saw too much action last night. Whoever gets the nod, a Vegas loss and DeBoer will really be questioned unless it's a 1-0 loss in OT.
Lehner didn't see much action last night, nor did he stop many shots. The answer is in, though... Deboer goes with Lehner, ignoring the loss last night, the two straight losses, the back to back situation, the 2-3 record in the series, and the 3-0 backup goalie sitting on the bench. Just wow... I hope Vegas get toasted and costs this clown another job... this was an ego move from start to finish.

edit... only 20 minutes away from your 1-0 overtime scenario, so Deboer may just keep his job, but not sure he deserves to do so.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Sigwolf wrote:
brwi wrote: I think he'll go with the rested MAF, though it wasn't like Lehner saw too much action last night. Whoever gets the nod, a Vegas loss and DeBoer will really be questioned unless it's a 1-0 loss in OT.
Lehner didn't see much action last night, nor did he stop many shots. The answer is in, though... Deboer goes with Lehner, ignoring the loss last night, the two straight losses, the back to back situation, the 2-3 record in the series, and the 3-0 backup goalie sitting on the bench. Just wow... I hope Vegas get toasted and costs this clown another job... this was an ego move from start to finish.

edit... only 20 minutes away from your 1-0 overtime scenario, so Deboer may just keep his job, but not sure he deserves to do so.
Vegas finally gets one by Demko and I don't think the Canucks have anything left to get the equalizer.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

brwi wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:

Vegas finally gets one by Demko and I don't think the Canucks have anything left to get the equalizer.
There hasn't been any push by Vancouver all game
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Barring a complete meltdown, the ECF should be a Tampa sweep. I was hesitant to call game one with Tampa's long lay-off, but getting back up to speed to them no time at all. I would think it would take a few big injuries or a hardcore case of complacency for the Islanders to even get a sniff in this series.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Well, I'm guessing the Isles will respond to this embarrassment in their usual manner and start a line brawl for Game 2.

Also, my inner college paper sports editor is rejoicing in Brayden Point scoring 5 in one game, the headline writes itself...