The Bowling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides wrote:Two 6's again this week. Well above my average. 645-622 Guess I will start giving the ball some credit. A bowler in a team beside me had a 771. I asked him if that was his high series. He said nope, I've got five 8 hundreds. :shock:
700s and 800s are real? LOL I have maybe 5-10 600s, but not a single one is a "true" 600 (with 3 200+ games).

Tonight, I went back to "lauching" the ball a bit. I had 7 opens on the night, only 1 was a non-split. 150-191-187 (had 3 splits plus a barely missed 10 pin in the 1st game). I saw much better results throwing this way on my first ball, rather than listening to people on my team telling me I need to get the ball on the lane sooner. I don't get a ton of revs on the ball...but when I launch out it (almost to the 10 board arrow before it's on the lane), I get much more revs and better pin action. As for the splits, I felt 2 were deserved, 2 were solid pocket hits, and 2 seemed to be just hitting drier/wetter boards down the lane that made the ball come up a little shorter or longer than expected.

I'm hitting all my other spares. If I can cut down on the splits, I think my scores will keep going up. I had 13 strikes tonight. I had 9 last week, 10 the week before, and only 6 the week before that. I also swapped out my plastic 10 pin ball and went back to my Pitch Black that's drilled to be used more as a spare ball, and got more consistent results with the Pitch Black. Earlier in the year, I was having trouble picking up my 10 pins with it (would hit my mark but ball just kept sliding out at this house).
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

If bowling had a PDO analytics score (which is primarily luck driven), mine would be rather low.

I bowled 3 games above my average, finished with a series that averaged out more than 10 pins higher than my current average...and I still wasn't happy.

--3 opens all night, 2 of which were splits. The non-split was a Brooklyn first ball that left a 1-3-8. Didn't get the carry on the 1-3 to hit the 8.
--The big difference maker...only 7 strikes the whole night.
--13 single pin spares...made them all including 5-5 on 10 pins.
--24 total spares on the night, only missed the 3.

560 series for the night, 183-199-178. All 3 games above my 173 average, but, the lack of strikes continues to be an issue. The way I was throwing, I really felt like I could have bowled a 650 series. 3 of the 7 strikes were connected (9th frame of game 1, plus first 2 of 10th in game 1)

I'd like to be up over a 180 average, and on nights like Thursday, I feel that I bowled to that level...just not getting the pin results I am expecting when I'm hitting my mark and adjusting. Would be happy with another 180+ average next week...or my first 600 of the season.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Really nice spare stuff FLPF! Especially that 5 for 5 ten pin. I had a 572 Thursday 194-188-190 but missed 2 of my 3 ten pins and a 7 pin. Missing one pin spares is really disgusting to me.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides wrote:Really nice spare stuff FLPF! Especially that 5 for 5 ten pin. I had a 572 Thursday 194-188-190 but missed 2 of my 3 ten pins and a 7 pin. Missing one pin spares is really disgusting to me.
I typically get really streaky on 10 pins. I'll go 3-4 weeks picking them up about 85% of the time, then I'll go a few weeks hitting only 50% of them. I bought a plastic ball this year, and have been going back and forth between the plastic ball and a weakly drilled Pitch Black that I have used as my spare ball for several years. 2 weeks ago I put the Pitch Black back in my back instead of plastic. Right now, I have the Pitch Black dialed in on 10 pins, and it is a little more versatile and predictable for me vs plastic.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Bowling PDO...definitely a real thing. LOL

What's more shocking? That as a 174 average bowler, over game 2 and 3 I rolled a 221 average (216, 226)...or that I bowled a 129 my first game? That's my luck. No adjustment between game 1 and game 2, other than me putting on some headphones and blasting some heavy metal. Hitting my mark and just not getting any consisten reaction, even on the spares. I may have pulled a ball or two a little inside and deserved one or two of the non-strikes I had on first ball, but not what I was getting left with.

216 game could have been much higher. Strike in the 4th, solid pock 8-10 split in the 5th, 4 more strikes after that. Last game was clean all the way.

571 series with an awful 129 game to start. I think I had 7 opens on the night, and 6 of them were in that Game 1. 16 strikes on the night. 2nd week in a row I felt I should have easily had a 600 series.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

FLPensFan wrote:Bowling PDO...definitely a real thing. LOL

What's more shocking? That as a 174 average bowler, over game 2 and 3 I rolled a 221 average (216, 226)...or that I bowled a 129 my first game? That's my luck. No adjustment between game 1 and game 2, other than me putting on some headphones and blasting some heavy metal. Hitting my mark and just not getting any consisten reaction, even on the spares. I may have pulled a ball or two a little inside and deserved one or two of the non-strikes I had on first ball, but not what I was getting left with.

216 game could have been much higher. Strike in the 4th, solid pock 8-10 split in the 5th, 4 more strikes after that. Last game was clean all the way.

571 series with an awful 129 game to start. I think I had 7 opens on the night, and 6 of them were in that Game 1. 16 strikes on the night. 2nd week in a row I felt I should have easily had a 600 series.
Good stuff FLPF. To me this is why I like and enjoy bowling. Even the pros bury a shot and leave some pin standing down there. Round ball hitting round pins not sure what deflection will happen down there. I get strikes I shouldn't and also like you leave a 8-10 or a 10 on a nice pocket hit. One of my team mates last night had 209-241-117. I just was off all night with 177-151-186. I was throwing way too high and had 4 bad splits. Also only made 3 of 5 ten pins and missed a 7. But no matter what happens I really enjoy bowling which is why I bowl year round. Hope I can keep it up for a while longer. Like the Pens I got old legs and happen to be the second oldest person in my 20 team league.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Bowling PDO...definitely a real thing. LOL

Good stuff FLPF. To me this is why I like and enjoy bowling. Even the pros bury a shot and leave some pin standing down there. Round ball hitting round pins not sure what deflection will happen down there. I get strikes I shouldn't and also like you leave a 8-10 or a 10 on a nice pocket hit. One of my team mates last night had 209-241-117. I just was off all night with 177-151-186. I was throwing way too high and had 4 bad splits. Also only made 3 of 5 ten pins and missed a 7. But no matter what happens I really enjoy bowling which is why I bowl year round. Hope I can keep it up for a while longer. Like the Pens I got old legs and happen to be the second oldest person in my 20 team league.
Yeah, I mean I get it. I'm not a pro bowler. It's never going to go my way every time. My frustration has just been, I was in like a 2 year slump starting right before COVID. I feel I've really improved my game, but just not getting the results at the end of the night.

I think if I just get a few more consistent weeks of bowling 180-190 averages, I can finally put the frustration behind me. When I finally bowled my first 600 4-5 years ago, I've since usually bowled a 600 series 2-3 times a season. I don't think I've bowled a 600 in 2 years, which has added to my frustrations. LOL
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

OK, you got me curious. Is the flag a good or bad thing? My week was OK. 607 and a 562
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I am now seriously contemplating taking a year off from bowling at the end of this season. I'm just too competitive, too frustrated, and not enjoying myself at this point. To me, it's beyond ball use or anything wrong with my form.

197 first game could have easily been a 220-ish game. 9th frame left a 3-6 spare and the ball took off and left the 6. Hit my mark, would throw the same ball again on it.
Bad luck. Not really frustrated at that point, just a little disappointed that an otherwise clean game got knocked down by that.

179 second game. 4-7-10 split in the 4th (probably a little inside on this first ball), and missed my mark to the inside on a 4-7 spare that caused it to hook off into the gutter. Again, disappointed, but I know the mistakes I made. Probably could have been another potential 200 game, but

3rd game...134. I had only 2 marks in the first 7 frames. From the end of the 2nd game to around the 6th frame of the 3rd, I moved I believe 8 boards left and was still having trouble staying non-Brooklyn. It was literally like someone came out and put a sport shot down between the 2nd and 3rd game.

The breakdown of the lanes at this place just never makes any sense to me. I wasn't the only one last night. Anchor of my opponent's team bowled a 287 first game, 211 2nd game, 168 3rd game. 20 handicap bowler dropped just under 120 pins from the first game to the last?????

Anyways, bowling had always been my stress reliever from work, and lately it just ends up causing me more stress and putting me in a worse mood that, for my own mental health I may end up taking a year off after the season.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Thanks FLPF, got it. I didn’t start bowling until I retired (12 years ago) so luckily (like the Pens) most of my competitive juices are pretty much gone. I still like winning but my only real competition now is with myself. I go bowling for something to do and to try and have a good time with my team and the team we are bowling with. I also enjoy watching good bowlers and getting their help and advice.

I really messed up spares Thursday. Should have had a second 600 for the week but believe it or not I missed five 6-10 spares. Chopped the 6, chopped the 10. Light hit a 6 and compleely missed both of them twice. Years ago that would have really really bothered me. But now I just try and move on with a better shot next time which doesn’t always happen. Guess I will just keep bowling as long as physically capable.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote:I am now seriously contemplating taking a year off from bowling at the end of this season. I'm just too competitive, too frustrated, and not enjoying myself at this point. To me, it's beyond ball use or anything wrong with my form.

197 first game could have easily been a 220-ish game. 9th frame left a 3-6 spare and the ball took off and left the 6. Hit my mark, would throw the same ball again on it.
Bad luck. Not really frustrated at that point, just a little disappointed that an otherwise clean game got knocked down by that.

179 second game. 4-7-10 split in the 4th (probably a little inside on this first ball), and missed my mark to the inside on a 4-7 spare that caused it to hook off into the gutter. Again, disappointed, but I know the mistakes I made. Probably could have been another potential 200 game, but

3rd game...134. I had only 2 marks in the first 7 frames. From the end of the 2nd game to around the 6th frame of the 3rd, I moved I believe 8 boards left and was still having trouble staying non-Brooklyn. It was literally like someone came out and put a sport shot down between the 2nd and 3rd game.

The breakdown of the lanes at this place just never makes any sense to me. I wasn't the only one last night. Anchor of my opponent's team bowled a 287 first game, 211 2nd game, 168 3rd game. 20 handicap bowler dropped just under 120 pins from the first game to the last?????

Anyways, bowling had always been my stress reliever from work, and lately it just ends up causing me more stress and putting me in a worse mood that, for my own mental health I may end up taking a year off after the season.
I know that you don't want a big arsenal of balls, but a lower performing ball or something with surface may do wonders for you. They won't retain as much energy on the back of the pattern (will use more in the heads) and go on an uncontrollable, hockey stick shape.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pruezy11881 wrote: I know that you don't want a big arsenal of balls, but a lower performing ball or something with surface may do wonders for you. They won't retain as much energy on the back of the pattern (will use more in the heads) and go on an uncontrollable, hockey stick shape.
That lower performing sounds exactly what I like in a ball. I throw around 14-15 mph with moderate rotation. I have a couple old Storm Code-X balls that perform well for the way I bowl and the lanes I bowl on. What would be some of your suggestions for that type of ball? Looking to try out another new ball.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I am now seriously contemplating taking a year off from bowling at the end of this season. I'm just too competitive, too frustrated, and not enjoying myself at this point. To me, it's beyond ball use or anything wrong with my form.

I know that you don't want a big arsenal of balls, but a lower performing ball or something with surface may do wonders for you. They won't retain as much energy on the back of the pattern (will use more in the heads) and go on an uncontrollable, hockey stick shape.
When you say something with surface, do you mean sanding it with a lower grit? Here is what I own today:

In my bag:
900 Global Reality, asymmetrical, solid reactive, usually at 1500-2000 surface. Most often first ball out of my bag.
900 Global Zen Soul, symmetrical, hybrid reactive, usually at 4000-5000 surface. 50/50 if I break this ball out later in the night.
Storm Pitch Black, symmetrical, urethane, 1000-2000 surface. Spare ball drilled with pin barely above center of fingers.

At home:
Radical Conspiracy, asymmetrical, solid reactive, usually 1500-2000 surface. Supposed to be more continuous motion but never really saw consistent results with this ball.
Roto Grip Rubicon UC2, asymmetrical, pearl reactive, polished. Main reason no longer in my bag is this is a 15lb ball and I moved back down to 14lbs.
Columbia 300 White Dot, plastic spare ball. I'll got back and forth between this and the Pitch Black sometimes.
Hammer Absolut Curve, symmetric, hybrid reactive, polished. This ball is old and probably toast at this point.

I had been thinking about swapping out the Zen Soul for the UC2 recently, even with the weight difference. The other option would be to go get a Burner Pearl if I want to stay with the 900 Global balls. I think that would be a bigger leap down going Reality-->Burner compared to what Reality-->Zen Soul would be.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

When you say something with surface, do you mean sanding it with a lower grit? Here is what I own today:

In my bag:
900 Global Reality, asymmetrical, solid reactive, usually at 1500-2000 surface. Most often first ball out of my bag.
900 Global Zen Soul, symmetrical, hybrid reactive, usually at 4000-5000 surface. 50/50 if I break this ball out later in the night.
Storm Pitch Black, symmetrical, urethane, 1000-2000 surface. Spare ball drilled with pin barely above center of fingers.

At home:
Radical Conspiracy, asymmetrical, solid reactive, usually 1500-2000 surface. Supposed to be more continuous motion but never really saw consistent results with this ball.
Roto Grip Rubicon UC2, asymmetrical, pearl reactive, polished. Main reason no longer in my bag is this is a 15lb ball and I moved back down to 14lbs.
Columbia 300 White Dot, plastic spare ball. I'll got back and forth between this and the Pitch Black sometimes.
Hammer Absolut Curve, symmetric, hybrid reactive, polished. This ball is old and probably toast at this point.

I had been thinking about swapping out the Zen Soul for the UC2 recently, even with the weight difference. The other option would be to go get a Burner Pearl if I want to stay with the 900 Global balls. I think that would be a bigger leap down going Reality-->Burner compared to what Reality-->Zen Soul would be.
So you were already throwing something with surface...what did you see happening with the ball and the pin action? Lazy tens, ball rolled out pretty quick and hit like puss?
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

offsides wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote: I know that you don't want a big arsenal of balls, but a lower performing ball or something with surface may do wonders for you. They won't retain as much energy on the back of the pattern (will use more in the heads) and go on an uncontrollable, hockey stick shape.
That lower performing sounds exactly what I like in a ball. I throw around 14-15 mph with moderate rotation. I have a couple old Storm Code-X balls that perform well for the way I bowl and the lanes I bowl on. What would be some of your suggestions for that type of ball? Looking to try out another new ball.
That's a big assymmetric solid. You should have something else if you're trying to become a more competitive bowler and add tools available to your game. What type of lanes do you typically bowl on? What kind of revs you throw: low, average, high? What are you wanting the ball to do versus what your current ball does? Are you just looking to replace the Code-X or add to it?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
offsides wrote:
That's a big assymmetric solid. You should have something else if you're trying to become a more competitive bowler and add tools available to your game. What type of lanes do you typically bowl on? What kind of revs you throw: low, average, high? What are you wanting the ball to do versus what your current ball does? Are you just looking to replace the Code-X or add to it?
I just bowl in two low competitive leagues on synthetic lanes with house oil patterns. I would say I have low to average revs and a 186 average in both leagues. I am just looking to replace my old Code-X balls. Like me they are getting old. They also need to be baked every couple months to remove oil. After they get baked and I abralon them with 2000 grit they get their finish back. The Code-x seem to work well for me with the way I bowl. Just looking for similar type ball and there are so many balls out there and I have no idea what the diffeences are and what to try.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

offsides wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
offsides wrote:
I just bowl in two low competitive leagues on synthetic lanes with house oil patterns. I would say I have low to average revs and a 186 average in both leagues. I am just looking to replace my old Code-X balls. Like me they are getting old. They also need to be baked every couple months to remove oil. After they get baked and I abralon them with 2000 grit they get their finish back. The Code-x seem to work well for me with the way I bowl. Just looking for similar type ball and there are so many balls out there and I have no idea what the diffeences are and what to try.
Like everything, technology updates each year. A new ball with a fresh cover is just going to react different anyways. If you want to stay within the SPI family and are looking for another big, solid assym ball, Super Nova or a Reality (I love mine). If you're looking for something to get a little further down the lane and has more shape to it, an RST-X3 or even an Absolute. If you want to see a lot more shape and still have a real big engine, Exotic Gem is a beast and the Eternity looks pretty good from what I've seen so far.

Do a little research on each if you'd like. And once you make a decision, you want some ideas on complimentary pieces, don't be afraid to ask.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

In my bag:

At home:

So you were already throwing something with surface...what did you see happening with the ball and the pin action? Lazy tens, ball rolled out pretty quick and hit like puss?
Yep, my Reality is at 1500 surface.

I've never been an ace at reading lanes. Definitely not completely guessing at it by this point, but not always perfect.

5 years or so ago, the house I bowled at was simple. I'd start at one spot, say standing board 10 and throwing straight down board 10, going into game 2, I was standing around board 13-15, and into game 3, I'd be standing 15-18, still throwing at the 10 board arrow. Back then, my accuracy wasn't great. I'd flare from my mark or just completely pull the ball Brooklyn maybe 30% of the time.

Now that I've gotten "better" over the last 5 years, hit my mark with a lot more accuracy, a lot more consistent follow through, etc, but, I'm not seeing the results on the lane.

Down here in Florida, Bowlero has bought up just about every house. When they first did it, they were trying to shut down all the leagues. They stupidly thought they'd make more money targeting families and college kids, instead of guaranteed weekly revenue from bowlers. It backfired tremendously and after 2 years, they are begging to try and get leagues going again. They have some, but nowhere near the levels they used to. When I got my Zen Soul drilled this summer by the pro shop guy I have known for years (who works at the house I bowl at now), he told me my county had about 7000 registered bowlers in 2018...they are down to about 2500 now. Some of that is pandemic, and some of it is bowlers frustrated by houses not being kept up with. When I bought that ball, I was going to throw a couple practice games. Pro shop guy told me good luck...I doubt that 70% of the lanes haven't been oiled in like 2 days. This is a huge house with 54 lanes.

Back to the actual point of talking about the lanes 5 years ago and now...from my experience, a house shot is relatively standard. There shouldn't be some huge, wild variance in the pattern that is put out for a league from week to week. Yet, there seems to be. If my standard is still standing about board 10 and throwing down board 10, then I'll either move a board or two left or right based on how the ball is hitting the pocket, and maybe up or back an inch. I don't know how to describe the pin action other than I don't have a ton of revs and don't throw extremely hard. But I would say slightly light would be my most typical location in the pocket. Up until last night (just decided to bowl and not worry about the rest), I've always tracked my shots on an app. If I look at my top 3 spare leaves on the season, 68 10 pins, 38 6 pins, and 32 6-10 combos. The next 3 highest are all what I would say are heavy pocket hits...24 4 pins, 24 47 combos, 21 7 pins.

But the lanes just seem to drastically change in both directions over a period of 3 to 5 frames. Ball starts going heavy, you move a bit left, after 2 frames you get dialed into it, and in 2 more frames it's now coming up light and you are back to moving right. Last week was literally the worst one I saw, where if truly felt like after game 2, someone ran out there and laid down a sport shot. Guy that bowled a 289 and is a 20 handicap bowler only bowled a 168 the 3rd game. I believe 8 of the 10 bowlers on the pair dropped significantly in the 3rd game.

I'm not an expert by any means, but bowling for about 15 years now I'd like to think I probably know more than I give myself credit for...and I just don't get it at this point. I hate to be that guy that says it's the lanes, I need a new ball, this or that. I try to be pretty honest with myself if I'm missing my mark, know the ball felt off leaving my hand, etc. But man I am just completely stumped and at a loss anymore.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'm interested to see what happens Tuesday. 2 guys on my team also bowl Tuesdays at the same house, and I'm subbing on their team Tuesday. That league is more competitive. My anchor is bowling a 199 right now in my league on Thursdays, and a 215 in the Tuesday night league. His Tuesday average was up around 220 and Thursday down around 190 at one point.

Interested to see, if in general, I get a more consistent reaction in the pocket, and if the lanes break down more like I would expect vs seemingly all over the place in my regular Thursday night league.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

In my bag:

At home:

Yep, my Reality is at 1500 surface.

I've never been an ace at reading lanes. Definitely not completely guessing at it by this point, but not always perfect.

5 years or so ago, the house I bowled at was simple. I'd start at one spot, say standing board 10 and throwing straight down board 10, going into game 2, I was standing around board 13-15, and into game 3, I'd be standing 15-18, still throwing at the 10 board arrow. Back then, my accuracy wasn't great. I'd flare from my mark or just completely pull the ball Brooklyn maybe 30% of the time.

Now that I've gotten "better" over the last 5 years, hit my mark with a lot more accuracy, a lot more consistent follow through, etc, but, I'm not seeing the results on the lane.

Down here in Florida, Bowlero has bought up just about every house. When they first did it, they were trying to shut down all the leagues. They stupidly thought they'd make more money targeting families and college kids, instead of guaranteed weekly revenue from bowlers. It backfired tremendously and after 2 years, they are begging to try and get leagues going again. They have some, but nowhere near the levels they used to. When I got my Zen Soul drilled this summer by the pro shop guy I have known for years (who works at the house I bowl at now), he told me my county had about 7000 registered bowlers in 2018...they are down to about 2500 now. Some of that is pandemic, and some of it is bowlers frustrated by houses not being kept up with. When I bought that ball, I was going to throw a couple practice games. Pro shop guy told me good luck...I doubt that 70% of the lanes haven't been oiled in like 2 days. This is a huge house with 54 lanes.

Back to the actual point of talking about the lanes 5 years ago and now...from my experience, a house shot is relatively standard. There shouldn't be some huge, wild variance in the pattern that is put out for a league from week to week. Yet, there seems to be. If my standard is still standing about board 10 and throwing down board 10, then I'll either move a board or two left or right based on how the ball is hitting the pocket, and maybe up or back an inch. I don't know how to describe the pin action other than I don't have a ton of revs and don't throw extremely hard. But I would say slightly light would be my most typical location in the pocket. Up until last night (just decided to bowl and not worry about the rest), I've always tracked my shots on an app. If I look at my top 3 spare leaves on the season, 68 10 pins, 38 6 pins, and 32 6-10 combos. The next 3 highest are all what I would say are heavy pocket hits...24 4 pins, 24 47 combos, 21 7 pins.

But the lanes just seem to drastically change in both directions over a period of 3 to 5 frames. Ball starts going heavy, you move a bit left, after 2 frames you get dialed into it, and in 2 more frames it's now coming up light and you are back to moving right. Last week was literally the worst one I saw, where if truly felt like after game 2, someone ran out there and laid down a sport shot. Guy that bowled a 289 and is a 20 handicap bowler only bowled a 168 the 3rd game. I believe 8 of the 10 bowlers on the pair dropped significantly in the 3rd game.

I'm not an expert by any means, but bowling for about 15 years now I'd like to think I probably know more than I give myself credit for...and I just don't get it at this point. I hate to be that guy that says it's the lanes, I need a new ball, this or that. I try to be pretty honest with myself if I'm missing my mark, know the ball felt off leaving my hand, etc. But man I am just completely stumped and at a loss anymore.
Based on what your telling me, is that you get dialed in and things are good. Shortly after the ball is getting lazy. So I'm taking that as you have found oil for your ball to act as it should. But when it gets lazy, it sounds like it's losing energy on the back of the lane. That would be bc the ball has acquired friction earlier in the heads than it should and has little reserved. The option would keep migrating and working with where the oil is. At some point though, your solid assym is going to leave 10 pins anyways bc of the steep line your playing. That's when you get down into a symmetric ball and/or pearl cover stock . Those naturally retain more energy for the back of the lane and will give you more angle to kick the 10's out.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote: Yep, my Reality is at 1500 surface.

Based on what your telling me, is that you get dialed in and things are good. Shortly after the ball is getting lazy. So I'm taking that as you have found oil for your ball to act as it should. But when it gets lazy, it sounds like it's losing energy on the back of the lane. That would be bc the ball has acquired friction earlier in the heads than it should and has little reserved. The option would keep migrating and working with where the oil is. At some point though, your solid assym is going to leave 10 pins anyways bc of the steep line your playing. That's when you get down into a symmetric ball and/or pearl cover stock . Those naturally retain more energy for the back of the lane and will give you more angle to kick the 10's out.
Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it. I do think one of the other issues potentially is I may be coming in with too much angle, because of the line I play. Two reasons why I play that line is, I struggle to be accurate when swinging the ball out more...say, laying the ball down at like 17, swinging it out to board 8-10, and having it come back to the pocket. I have a tough time picking an individual board out and hitting it. If my line is going over one of the arrows, or going over the board between two arrows, I tend to be ok, but if the lanes are telling me I really need to only throw the ball out over the 11-12 board around the arrows, I just don't have the consistency...my eyes naturally want to lock onto the arrows. The other reason is with lower revs, if I push it out too far to the right it won't come back.

I had a little bit of success last week swinging the ball out a little more, but that may be another thing for me to work on. Watch the ball off the back of the deck more on my normal line, versus more of an arced line to see if I get better results one way or the other.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Well, I think I finally figured out something about the house I am bowling in. I simply cannot bowl my typical line in this house anymore if I want any type of consistent result.

I subbed for a team Tuesday night in the same house as I bowl on Thursday.
--177-175-197, 549 series
--While my scores could have been better, I can honestly say the 170s scores were "me" making mistakes, missing marks, pulling a ball here or there, missing a spare I should easily have made, etc. For once, it was not me drilling the pocket and getting horrible leaves 4-10 times during the night.
--Reality wasn't doing much the first game. The ball was dying and not driving through the pins, and a lot of bowlers on my set were having the same issue. I switched up to my Zen Soul for games 2 and 3, which was much better throughout the roll.
--As mentioned last post, usually I'm bowling straight down 10 into the pocket. The first few frames I was standing about 20 and throwing at 15 and I just couldn't keep myself accurate. Changed it up to standing 20 and throwing a little slower out towards the 10 board, and that seems to be the magic line for me at this house.

Thursday night, regular league night
--174-208-197, 579 series
--Same line that I used Tuesday, stand 20, throw out to 10. Worked well all night, and didn't need any dramatic adjustment. By the end of the first game, I had moved my start up about 2-3 inches, and stayed there the rest of the night. Used the Reality for all 3 games.
--Same as Tuesday, I had maybe 1-3 good hits that didn't result in strikes (had a solid 9 that almost got tripped, and the tiniest high pocket that left 5-7...which I picked up). I think 1-3 is a fair number of "so close but not getting the right pin action" type of rolls. The rest were me just not throwing a good ball or pulling the ball...just more mental mistakes on my part rather than constantly feeling robbed or constantly searching for a line like I have been the past several weeks.

Hopefully sticking with this line will keep giving me better results over the rest of the year. I wouldn't say I never tried this before, but in past years my follow through probably wasn't as good (lazy hand, not under the ball enough), and as a slower speed and slower rev bowler, playing this line I'd just never get the ball back to the pocket most times. My form has improved over the last year or 2, which I guess is giving me a bit more revs than I have traditionally had in the past. Whatever, it's working. Ride it until its not working.

Nice to see something go right 2 consecutive times out. I can smell the 600 coming soon.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Sounds like you did the right thing by moving and keeping the ball more in the oil to give a change to complete more of a skid to retain energy and shape for the back of the pattern. And you also did the right thing by seeing the the Reality was hitting lazy and moving to the symmetric piece that retains more energy naturally compared to your assym. Sounds like 600 is on it's way...
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Decent week for me. 628 - 586 Used my Dark Code ball both nights. I usually start by standing on 28 board and aiming for 8 board and adjust as needed. Hitting aim point getting tougher as I get elder. Also try to keep around 15mph. Usually keep same aim board and just move my feet left or right as needed. Usually left as the night wears on. Thinking about getting a Reality as Pruezy suggested. (and thanks Pruezy) Read a lot of good stuff about it.