The Bowling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Bowling Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides wrote:I also had a lousy night this week on my first night of the summer league. The house announced it has switched to an oil pattern called Wall Street for the summer. They said it is a 40' pattern and the pattern they had in fall and winter was a 43' pattern. Not sure of the name of the 43 foot pattern. I just couldn't keep my ball on the right side of the lane. 155-173-131 :face: But I also missed way too many makeable spares. Maybe being off for three weeks also didn't help these old muscles work right. I have been trying for years to get my ball to finish strong and now it finishes way toooo strong. I think I may try and do a 4000 abralon shine on one of my balls.
Yeah, definitely not a good pattern if you have a really strong ball. That's one you'd need a good mid-range ball on to be able to keep it on the lane.

That's the thing that is frustrating for me bowling in my league. A typical house shot (THS) should be pretty much the same from week to week. If you are hitting your mark, same ball speed, consistent follow through, etc...you should be able to score well. I get that there will be some variance due to the types of bowlers you bowl against...more leftys mean righty oil doesn't break down as quickly, a bunch of straight house ball bowlers push the oil down the lane more, here in Florida, if you are bowling on the end lanes near the doors the humidity definitely has an effect on the oil pattern...but for the most part, THS should be 90% the same from week to week. I still feel like I'm bowling a sport shot every week, and all my progress the week before is gone because the lanes are completely different. I've bowled a sport shot league a few summers ago. It can be fun when you know you are bowling on a short, medium or long pattern and know to use different equipment and adjust. Not knowing and going in blind stinks.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

offsides wrote:I also had a lousy night this week on my first night of the summer league. The house announced it has switched to an oil pattern called Wall Street for the summer. They said it is a 40' pattern and the pattern they had in fall and winter was a 43' pattern. Not sure of the name of the 43 foot pattern. I just couldn't keep my ball on the right side of the lane. 155-173-131 :face: But I also missed way too many makeable spares. Maybe being off for three weeks also didn't help these old muscles work right. I have been trying for years to get my ball to finish strong and now it finishes way toooo strong. I think I may try and do a 4000 abralon shine on one of my balls.
Did a little better with the 40' Wall Street pattern tonight. Moved up and to the left three boards to 32 board. Settled on aiming at 10 board. Also shined my least reaction ball (Storm Dark Code) with a 4000 Abralon pad before bowling. 155-181-204
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

offsides wrote:
Did a little better with the 40' Wall Street pattern tonight. Moved up and to the left three boards to 32 board. Settled on aiming at 10 board. Also shined my least reaction ball (Storm Dark Code) with a 4000 Abralon pad before bowling. 155-181-204
That shouldn't be the ball you see the least reaction from. Maybe you mean least shape?? The Dark Code is a pretty strong assym but if you have too much surface on it, it'll lead to the ball looking lazy on the end of the pattern. So trying to get it to shape more you did the right thing in terms of going to a higher grit finish so that it is saving energy.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
offsides wrote:
That shouldn't be the ball you see the least reaction from. Maybe you mean least shape?? The Dark Code is a pretty strong assym but if you have too much surface on it, it'll lead to the ball looking lazy on the end of the pattern. So trying to get it to shape more you did the right thing in terms of going to a higher grit finish so that it is saving energy.
Thanks for the info Pruezy. I was just guessing on what to do since I rarely have a ball finish too much, but this pattern is new for me. I have bowled on the same pattern for years. I did better tonight and I do think the 4000 grit and other adjustments has helped me. 182-185-225 While warming up I tried my Storm DNA and Code-X and they were finishing way more than my now 4000 Dark Code. I guess the looking lazy at the end of the pattern is working OK for me and my bowling style.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Before I start bowling next season, I need to go figure out how to get my bowling bag out of the lake.... :lol:
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote:Before I start bowling next season, I need to go figure out how to get my bowling bag out of the lake.... :lol:
New styles out next year...wouldn't worry about it ;)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Getting better at this short oil pattern. At least better tonight. 186-235-226
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

offsides wrote:Very large caveat but I got my first 300 ever tonight while bowling no-tap. Had 3 no-tap strikes in my 300 game leaving a couple 10s and a 7. Finished with a 749 for my series. 199-300-250 I was still very nervous in tenth trying to get that 300. I am also the oldest guy in my league but finished second in series score tonight. :shock:
Final night of my summer league I got very lucky again with another no-tap 300. Had a 765 with 300-209-256. Also finished second again out of 73 bowlers. :shock: Wish I could find a no-tap league. :lol:
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

offsides wrote:
offsides wrote:Very large caveat but I got my first 300 ever tonight while bowling no-tap. Had 3 no-tap strikes in my 300 game leaving a couple 10s and a 7. Finished with a 749 for my series. 199-300-250 I was still very nervous in tenth trying to get that 300. I am also the oldest guy in my league but finished second in series score tonight. :shock:
Final night of my summer league I got very lucky again with another no-tap 300. Had a 765 with 300-209-256. Also finished second again out of 73 bowlers. :shock: Wish I could find a no-tap league. :lol:
Looks like improvement.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Week 3 of bowling for me this week. First two weeks haven't been good...about a 166 average, though in my defense, I started going to the gym and working out for the first time every in my life, with a trainer, so both Week 1 and Week 2 I could barely walk or lift my arms come bowling night. Adjusted my workout schedule so that I can functionally move properly for bowling, so we shall see what Week 3 brings.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:56 pm Week 3 of bowling for me this week. First two weeks haven't been good...about a 166 average, though in my defense, I started going to the gym and working out for the first time every in my life, with a trainer, so both Week 1 and Week 2 I could barely walk or lift my arms come bowling night. Adjusted my workout schedule so that I can functionally move properly for bowling, so we shall see what Week 3 brings.
I have been working out since I retired (12 years ago). I now work out and swim 3 days a week and do mild yoga 3 other days a week. I don't work out as much as I used to but at least still trying. I think it helps my bowling. Week three for me also. One league 183 average and 188 in the other. Not real consistent with a high of 233 and a low of 139. No 600s so far, but got close with a 591.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

For the curious, what's the rationale for no-tap bowling? I looked it up since I had never heard of it but I'm not sure I get why it's used.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Admin wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:43 pm For the curious, what's the rationale for no-tap bowling? I looked it up since I had never heard of it but I'm not sure I get why it's used.
No rationale. It means absolutely nothing. Both my leagues use it as a fun night the last week of the season. No struggling with that darn 10 pin. :D Most people in my leagues seem to enjoy it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Ah, fair enough. I thought maybe I was missing something.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Week 3 is on hold. Tweaked/pulled a hamstring last night at the gym. Many would say you should warm up before working out. I say, that's the best time to get injured (Yes, I tweaked it on my last warmup/stretch before my workout). Luckily no bruising or severe pain. I could probably bowl tonight, but figured its best to give it a week.

The joys of aging...
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

I just completed week 4 for league #1, as #2 hasn't started yet. Low series so far is 594 and a high of 716. Bowling alley just redid their bar over the summer and now offer draft beer...goes down too fast lol! May be part of the issue later in the third game, other than not enough practice or repetition since April.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Took 8 tries but finally got a 6 tonight. 210-178-232=620 Some how in this league I have a 192 average after 4 weeks.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Good for you! Now that you got there, set you next goal and go for it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Not a bad night last week, 193, 169, 201. Helps not to be sore and injured from working out. I have found that moving feet left and my mark a bit left seem to be helping a bit this season.

I think last year, while if I got the ball out a bit more, somewhere around 4-6 board, it would come into the pocket, but was likely losing most of it's energy by the time it got there.

Moving inside a bit more seems to have helped me retain a little more energy and drive through the pocket more.

Or I know absolutely nothing and all the above is BS, but sounds good in my head. ;)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:10 pm I think last year, while if I got the ball out a bit more, somewhere around 4-6 board, it would come into the pocket, but was likely losing most of it's energy by the time it got there.

Or I know absolutely nothing and all the above is BS, but sounds good in my head. ;)
I’ll test this out in Wii bowling and let you know. :)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Admin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:10 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:10 pm I think last year, while if I got the ball out a bit more, somewhere around 4-6 board, it would come into the pocket, but was likely losing most of it's energy by the time it got there.

I’ll test this out in Wii bowling and let you know. :)
Make sure you throw the ball forwards, not backwards. They don't like that. :D
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Thinking about everyone jumping still makes me laugh.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

I have to post (brag) about tonight's bowling. Got my high series for the year so far after 12 nights. 191-233-222=646 Not a real 600 but I will take it for sure.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:04 pm I have to post (brag) about tonight's bowling. Got my high series for the year so far after 12 nights. 191-233-222=646 Not a real 600 but I will take it for sure.
I bowled awful this past week. Somewhere around a 155 average (season avg is 171 right now). Honestly, are whole team bowled awful the first game, and nobody was really on fire all night...yet we still managed to take 7 of 9 points, so I'll clap for the team victory.

Apparently the week I missed with a hamstring injury, our anchor also decided to break his hand bowling. :face: 200 average bowler got mad that he missed a really easy single pin spare (4 or a 6 I think) and slammed his hand down on the table. Broke his hand below the pinky finger, out for 6 weeks.

Need to find my mojo soon.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

I have to post (brag) about getting a REAL 600 tonight 211-200-215. Been a long long time since I had a real one.