Post Ben Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post Ben Steelers Thread

Post by Daniel »

While it’s not official, I think we’ve seen the last game of Bens Hall of Fame career. The other Steelers thread is years old, why not start a new one as we move onto a new generation of Steelers.

Where does the team go next? In my opinion there isn’t a QB in this years draft that’s any better than what they have. Do they go with Mason at QB next season? Do they get a UFA, trade for a QB?

I’d like to see the draft load up on OL, DL, CB, and a backup RB would be nice as well. But I think the biggest change needs to be scheme on both sides of the ball. They have the athletes on defense yet their are a ton of gaps throughout the field that other teams can exploit. The offense needs to go into more of a smashmouth/play action passing moving forward.

For OL, is Moore an LT or a G? I think he did well as a LT but was a rookie so hard to tell if his failures were skill or growth related. Same with Green at C or G. If they can get a stud LT in the draft and move Moore to G or a stud C in the draft and move Green to G it could be the start of a nice young unit. Not sure what do with Okorafor. He’s still young that he might end up being more consistent. But with the OL, is it youth, players, or scheme?

For DL, they need a complete overhaul both in players and scheme. They need to go back to the DL as run stoppers and keeping the OL off the LBs.

For CB, I don’t think they sign Haden and this unit might need an overhaul as well.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Post Ben Steelers Thread

Post by ville5 »

There's rumors they're digging in to Pickett. Heavily checking him out and whatnot. This will most likely require a trade up as his stock has risen. As you pointed out, they have a ton of holes. Not sure they should be using precious draft capital to move up with all those holes.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

ville5 wrote:There's rumors they're digging in to Pickett. Heavily checking him out and whatnot. This will most likely require a trade up as his stock has risen. As you pointed out, they have a ton of holes. Not sure they should be using precious draft capital to move up with all those holes.
I really don’t like any of the QBs in this years draft, maybe Strong because of size and arm strength, but even he reads like another Rudolph. Same with Pickett, for that matter.

I look at Ryan Leaf to what’s his name in Cleveland, not to mention Alex Smith, as 3 QBs that were drafted because the team needed a QB in the year they were able to get one and not because the QB was worth a crap long term. I think drafting a QB in the first round because your franchise QB is no longer on the roster is a poor reason.

If Rudolph is the QB of the future, why draft one. If he sucks, why not wait and draft one in 2023 that is supposed to be a better draft class. And like you said, why trade up to get someone when you need players. They can suck next year and get a better one without trading up.

But this franchise seems to be good with “above .500’ as the barometer for a success season and not playoff wins, so who knows.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

OL, DL, and WR. Fill in QB with veteran for 1-2 seasons and then draft a QB next year.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Grunthy wrote:OL, DL, and WR. Fill in QB with veteran for 1-2 seasons and then draft a QB next year.
I wouldn’t mind a veteran, but think Rudolph should start next year. If he does well, great, if not, the draft pick gets better. I’d sink or swim with him.

The only young QB that I would want as a potential replacement is Josh Rosen. He is still pretty young and pretty skilled that has had weird luck with two crappy franchises drafting in the 1st round when he was brought in to be the future. He had a pretty standard rookie year in AZ and has barely gotten off the bench since. I’ve read he’s pretty arrogant, but maybe he has humbled.

As for WR, I would like to see another season of Washington, who just seemed to fall out of favor with Ben. Especially if Rudolph is the guy next season. Not worried about Johnson 5 drops from 13 and over 100 catches. I think he’ll be fine. Have a feeling that Claypool is the next guy up for Steeler WR knuckleheads, but hopefully he’ll get better next year.

Hard to judge a WR corp that rarely went further than 2 feet before getting a pass thrown to them.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

The problem with our WRs is they can’t make separation. They are not quick, nor are they particularly good route runners. Need a deep threat, otherwise ours are too easy to just play man against.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Grunthy wrote:The problem with our WRs is they can’t make separation. They are not quick, nor are they particularly good route runners. Need a deep threat, otherwise ours are too easy to just play man against.
Claypool has good speed and Johnson is a good route runner. It's hard to judge separation ability in 2 seconds of route running.

Not saying they don't need a WR. If only to replace those who leave. I just think it's behind OL, DL, CB, backup RB, ILB in need. Though if Buddy Johnson and McFarland can improve or Snell can do anything it would help two positions of need.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hopefully a good ILB will be available when we draft, that’s the one position where having total garbage all year hurt the most because it hurt short pass coverage over the middle and run defense once a back got past the DT.

Then OL and DL. Drafting a QB would be incredibly stupid this year.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Hopefully a good ILB will be available when we draft, that’s the one position where having total garbage all year hurt the most because it hurt short pass coverage over the middle and run defense once a back got past the DT.

I think scheme is more to blame than the players. Bush and Schobert certainly struggled but I think some of it was the fact that the DL didn't take up blockers like in years past.

I think a lot of it is a scheme that leaves the middle of the field open and has for years.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Daniel wrote:
DelPen wrote:Hopefully a good ILB will be available when we draft, that’s the one position where having total garbage all year hurt the most because it hurt short pass coverage over the middle and run defense once a back got past the DT.

I think scheme is more to blame than the players. Bush and Schobert certainly struggled but I think some
of it was the fact that the DL didn't take up blockers like in years past.

I think a lot of it is a scheme that leaves the middle of the field open and has for years.
This year was really bad though. Alualu going out in week 2 left a literal gaping hole on the D line and Bush couldn’t make a tackle pretty much all year. Spillane and Schoebert weren’t much better. We actually missed Vince Williams.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I think scheme is more to blame than the players. Bush and Schobert certainly struggled but I think some
of it was the fact that the DL didn't take up blockers like in years past.

This year was really bad though. Alualu going out in week 2 left a literal gaping hole on the D line and Bush couldn’t make a tackle pretty much all year. Spillane and Schoebert weren’t much better. We actually missed Vince Williams.
I agree that Alualu and Tuitt being hurt this season was pretty bad, as well as a lot of injuries to the DL. The depth was certainly challenged with practice squad players. It just seems that we used to have DL that just stuffed the run and engaged the OL to let the ILB roam free. With Tuitt and Heyward and even Alualu, I get that you want to penetrate more, but they didn't adjust at all. The ILB was terrible, but no one improved and I think a lot of that is coaching.

I do think we need a stud DL and stud OL in this years draft. We have skilled and now need to get both lines improved, though the OL is very young so coaching is key.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Be a good year to go 2-15 next year and get that scrub quarterback from Alabama, Bryce Young, in the 2023 draft.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Southern Fan wrote:Be a good year to go 2-15 next year and get that scrub quarterback from Alabama, Bryce Young, in the 2023 draft.
I don’t like short QBs to be honest with you. I think 6’3 and above. I can’t think of many QBs under 6’3 that have won Super Bowls, maybe Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, but who else?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Daniel wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Be a good year to go 2-15 next year and get that scrub quarterback from Alabama, Bryce Young, in the 2023 draft.
I don’t like short QBs to be honest with you. I think 6’3 and above. I can’t think of many QBs under 6’3 that have won Super Bowls, maybe Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, but who else?
Going back to all Super Bowls, the only others were Namath, Favre, Young, Montana and Rogers all at 6’2” and then Starr, Unitas, Griese and McMahon at 6’1” and Dawson at 6’0”.

So kicking out the early era guys, 6’2” is a good minimum number.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

I would rather not have a Alabama QB. Under Saban they haven’t amounted to anything in the nfl. I do not see Young doing anything either.