2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote:
Three Stars wrote:Tatar to Colorado for 1 year and 1.5 million.

Too rich for our blood because of Jeff Carter.
Fixt
That's true but you have to ask why a guy who scored 20+ goals last year has to wait until a week before camp starts before signing at about 33 percent of what he earned the previous year. There's more involved here than a lousy agent or overvaluing your worth to a NHL roster.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Three Stars wrote:Tatar to Colorado for 1 year and 1.5 million.

Too rich for our blood because of Jeff Carter.
Fixt
That's true but you have to ask why a guy who scored 20+ goals last year has to wait until a week before camp starts before signing at about 33 percent of what he earned the previous year. There's more involved here than a lousy agent or overvaluing your worth to a NHL roster.
I think it's his age, salary requirements, lack of cap space for most teams, and the fact that he has 13 points in 52 career playoff games. With all those variables, I can't imagine he'd be much of a priority to clear space to give him much of a salary.

I think with more cap space he'd have been signed but look at the teams with enough cap space to give him about what he earned, who would want him and who would he want to sign with?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/blue ... tos-on-tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bab's off to a good start! according to Biz anyway. Interesting if true.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

KG wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/blue ... tos-on-tv/

I also saw on X that Babcock has lined up Balbriker to be the Blue Jacket equipment manager. Not a good look.

BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Maestro wrote:
KG wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/blue ... tos-on-tv/

I also saw on X that Babcock has lined up Balbriker to be the Blue Jacket equipment manager. Not a good look.

Man, classic movie. Thank you for the memories... I laughed.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Nick Ritchie PTO with the Blues. Brett Ritchie PTO with the Panthers. Brothers day.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

ZAR PTO Carolina
Bailey PTO Ottawa

Flat cap
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote:ZAR PTO Carolina
Bailey PTO Ottawa

Flat cap
ZAR is a player I like personally (he's a guitar player & music lover) and professionally. I will always follow his career and root for him.
I hope he gets a contract with the Canes.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

ZAR was on a trajectory to be a really solid bottom six winger until that uncalled, bullcrap hit from Tom Wilson. He was not the same player after that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Babcock resigns from Columbus. Pascal Vincent taking over as coach.

From the reports from Friedman, "according to multiple sources, one of the most serious concerns was a meeting that occurred away from team facilities that included “several minutes” of looking through a phone. That was beyond the scope of what was initially understood to have occurred.”

Also, there were A LOT of people crapping on Bisonette for his source, calling it an ex-player with an axe to grind, a poor source, and Biz just looking to say stuff to get ratings. I'll admit, I was skeptical, but....in the end, Biz was right and the NHL once again looks stupid for trying to sweep something under the rug that would come back to bite them.

Babcock will be done as a coach.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Nobody beats the Biz.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Yea, the NHL is following the same trajectory of the NFL and NBA.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Biz's source was probably Commodore who definitely has an axe to grind. He makes no bones about that. But this all turned out to be true so I have no problem with Babcock losing his job. He deserves to lose it. It was a dumb thing to do and he should have known better. Now Columbus has a locker room issue to deal as vets like Gadreau and Jenner (the team captain) came out and defended Babcock to the media while the young players (apparently) complained to the NHLPA. Did the vets talk to the young guys first and get their side of the story? If not they should have. If they did and defended the coach anyway when he was in the wrong then that's not going to sit well at all. The new coach is going to have a mess to clean up. Babcock strikes again. I wonder how much Columbus is going to pay him of his $8M contract. What a waste.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Sams_Dog wrote:Biz's source was probably Commodore who definitely has an axe to grind. He makes no bones about that. But this all turned out to be true so I have no problem with Babcock losing his job. He deserves to lose it. It was a dumb thing to do and he should have known better. Now Columbus has a locker room issue to deal as vets like Gadreau and Jenner (the team captain) came out and defended Babcock to the media while the young players (apparently) complained to the NHLPA. Did the vets talk to the young guys first and get their side of the story? If not they should have. If they did and defended the coach anyway when he was in the wrong then that's not going to sit well at all. The new coach is going to have a mess to clean up. Babcock strikes again. I wonder how much Columbus is going to pay him of his $8M contract. What a waste.
100%……What a way to start your season that just a couple of days ago you had high hopes for as a fan.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

I think there’s likely a difference, topic wise, between what a 30-something NHL veteran and a just past teenage NHL rookie have in their phone, which probably would color each of their respective reactions to Babcock’s reported request.

I also think that the contents of someone’s phone are none of Babcock’s damn business, and putting them up on a screen is toxic.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Three Stars wrote:I think there’s likely a difference, topic wise, between what a 30-something NHL veteran and a just past teenage NHL rookie have in their phone, which probably would color each of their respective reactions to Babcock’s reported request.

I also think that the contents of someone’s phone are none of Babcock’s damn business, and putting them up on a screen is toxic.
I’m actually blown away that this is actually a true story…..I figured it was something on “The Onion”. And to think a couple vets were ok with it. Babcock? What were ya thinking?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Totally inappropriate. But also, who gives a ****? Honestly. It's not like he molested someone. Good lord. Whatever. You don't want to show him your phone? Don't. He hardly appeared at their wedding and invoked prima nocta.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Antonio wrote:Totally inappropriate. But also, who gives a ****? Honestly. It's not like he molested someone. Good lord. Whatever. You don't want to show him your phone? Don't. He hardly appeared at their wedding and invoked prima nocta.
Another great point! Have snowflakes entered the league?
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Antonio wrote:Totally inappropriate. But also, who gives a ****? Honestly. It's not like he molested someone. Good lord. Whatever. You don't want to show him your phone? Don't. He hardly appeared at their wedding and invoked prima nocta.
This gave me a chuckle. Kudos.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

This is completely toxic by the way. No way a player is going to tell the coach to go to heck and his phone is staying locked.

I highly doubt this was a friendly request - friends don't do this anyway.

It's a violation of labor law and more importantly it's a violation of trust. It's a violation of an organizational hierarchy.

Babcock is a complete bully Neanderthal and like them - good riddance.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Must have been something more to the story as Babcock retired this weekend, after only 3 months on the job. Apparently many players were upset with his privacy invasion tactics.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Surprised Jarmo keeps his job after this Babcock fiasco. Babcock was always a bad hire with his poor track record of dealing with people/players. Good riddance.

Jarmo and JD should definitely be taking some heat for this. Unnecessary negative publicity the team now has to deal with.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here’s a summary of the latest Spitting Chiclets podcast. There’s one especially horrifying quote:
Most surprisingly, apparently several of these incidents happened at Babcock’s house. In at least one of the incidents reported to Whitney, a young player was invited for lunch, told to take out his phone, had Babcock flip through his photos and then told him to leave… without lunch.
This is a family board, so I’ll just abbreviate my reaction as WTAF.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Horrifying indeed. No lunch?! Outrageous!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote:Horrifying indeed. No lunch?! Outrageous!