2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 NPR Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:
ville5 wrote:Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
·
Follow
So here's what I think is going on with SJ/NJ: one of the players involved (not a major piece) is injured...the two teams are sorting it out.
8:09 PM · Feb 26, 2023
Ryan Novozinsky
@ryannovo62
·
1m
Exhale!

#NJDevils get: Timo Meier and Scott Harrington

Sharks get: Shakir Mukhamadullin, Fabian Zetterlund, Andreas Johnsson, Nikita Okhotiuk, a 2023 1st round pick and a 2024 conditional first round pick.
I'm guessing the 2nd 1st rounder is conditional on him resigning?

Conditions for the 2024 pick:

San Jose Receives Conditional 2024 Second-Round Pick: Should New Jersey reach the 2023 Eastern Conference Finals (and Meier plays in at least 50% of Meier's Club's Playoff games in 2023) or the 2024 Eastern Conference Finals, New Jersey will transfer its own first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft to San Jose (top 10 protected), instead of its own second-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft. If New Jersey's first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft is a top 10 selection, New Jersey will have the option to instead transfer its own first-round pick in 2025 NHL Draft to San Jose. Should New Jersey transfer its first-round pick in 2024 NHL Draft per the original condition (top-two above in Condition A), New Jersey will instead transfer its own first-round pick in 2025 NHL Draft should they reach the 2024 Eastern Conference Finals.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The reason why the trade took so long to announce was that NJ prospect forward Tyce Thompson was original part of the trade package going back to SJ, but Thompson was injured in today's game while playing for Utica. So NJ/SJ had to alter the deal.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:The reason why the trade took so long to announce was that NJ prospect forward Tyce Thompson was original part of the trade package going back to SJ, but Thompson was injured in today's game while playing for Utica. So NJ/SJ had to alter the deal.
Looks like a quantity over quality trade to me. Late 20's 1st, conditional 1st (most likely will be a 2nd) couple of prospects who aren't top prospects. Unimpressed by what Grier has done.

Maybe this brings the Chychrun price down.....probably not.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Adrian Dater
@adater
Also hearing: Avs kicking tires on Sam Bennett.

Not sure who Dater is.

Bennett we all would love here.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Dater used to be the Avs beat writer for a major paper. Now he's on some second rate blog site like colorado hockey now or something.
Yes, 20 years at the Denver Post. Fired for abusive social media posts.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

ville5 wrote:Dater used to be the Avs beat writer for a major paper. Now he's on some second rate blog site like colorado hockey now or something.
Yes, 20 years at the Denver Post. Fired for abusive social media posts.
So, Dan Kingerski owns the "Hockey Now" ring of websites. Kingerski runs Pittsburgh Hockey Now. Dater WAS running Colorado Hockey now, but Kingerski eventually fired him. Said they wanted to go in a different direction or something about his writing wasn't good enough, so now Dater is on his own.

As for Bennett, I kind of have a feeling that he's not going to be available. Patric Hornqvist is now not expected to play again this season, including playoffs. With his 5M+ cap hit on LTIR, I don't think Florida needed to make another move. They had enough to bring Duclair off of LTIR, which was the main reason a move was being considered.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

SJ GM Grier says at this time, he's not expecting Erik Karlsson to be moved this season.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:The reason why the trade took so long to announce was that NJ prospect forward Tyce Thompson was original part of the trade package going back to SJ, but Thompson was injured in today's game while playing for Utica. So NJ/SJ had to alter the deal.
Looks like a quantity over quality trade to me. Late 20's 1st, conditional 1st (most likely will be a 2nd) couple of prospects who aren't top prospects. Unimpressed by what Grier has done.

Maybe this brings the Chychrun price down.....probably not.
Is it just me or are gms failing to capitalize on top-tier players. There was repeatedly 4, 5 teams at least in on Meier. Reportedly some substantial offers were rejected. And yet Grier failed to get one of the Devils top 3 prospects. This seems to happen frequently around the league as far as I'm seeing.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

OK, I would have loved me some Tanner Jeannot, but not at this price:

TB gets Jeannot for a 2025 1st rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in 2023, plus d-man Cal Foote.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote:OK, I would have loved me some Tanner Jeannot, but not at this price:

TB gets Jeannot for a 2025 1st rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in 2023, plus d-man Cal Foote.
That's nuts
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:OK, I would have loved me some Tanner Jeannot, but not at this price:

That's nuts
Guess we aren’t the only team that is looking to get more physical. Wow, that’s nuts. Foote and a 2nd should be plenty.

Crazy. Yet they could only get a 2nd round pick for Nino.

Hard to predict.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

That's nuts
Guess we aren’t the only team that is looking to get more physical. Wow, that’s nuts. Foote and a 2nd should be plenty.

Hard to predict.
Yeah, to me a 1st and Cal Foote would be a slight overpayment. A first and a mid-prospect should have done it. Who does Tampa think Jeannot is, Ricky Williams?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

That's nuts

Hard to predict.
Yeah, to me a 1st and Cal Foote would be a slight overpayment. A first and a mid-prospect should have done it. Who does Tampa think Jeannot is, Ricky Williams?
They can start calling him TJ III
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

And now, you think Bill Armstrong doesn't see that return for Jeannot and say the price for Chychrun is now 5 1sts, 3 entire draft years of picks, and a good under 24 player.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

thehockeyguru wrote:

That's nuts
For a 3rd line center (with 62 career points)... 1st through 5th round draft picks? Physical is good, but?? Even spread over three drafts that is absolutely insane. That's just coming right out and saying our entire scouting organization sucks, and can't be counted on to find an NHL player, ever.

Is this where the Pens organization is going to find itself?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sigwolf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

That's nuts
For a 3rd line center (with 62 career points)... 1st through 5th round draft picks? Physical is good, but?? Even spread over three drafts that is absolutely insane. That's just coming right out and saying our entire scouting organization sucks, and can't be counted on to find an NHL player, ever.

He doesn't play C. I believe he's primarily a LW
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

thehockeyguru wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

That's nuts

Does that somehow make it better?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sigwolf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

That's nuts

Does that somehow make it better?
No it's a terrible overpayment
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Jeannot is LH winger, plays both left and right wing. I believe mainly RW these days.

Nashville now has 4 1sts, 5 2nds, and 5 3rd in the next 3 drafts. 14 picks in the firsts 3 rounds over 3 years. Arizona has 17 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 years.

THAT's how you do a rebuild...if your scouting department doesn't suck, that is.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

but the armchair GMs on this board will say if we only had Kapanen we could of gotten Jeannot!!!

or maybe we could of traded all of our bad players for Jeannot I heard nashville was interested in that but Sullivan didn't want to that.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Trotz back to Nashville as gm. Would have solved a big problem for us.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

bryn20015 wrote:but the armchair GMs on this board will say if we only had Kapanen we could of gotten Jeannot!!!

or maybe we could of traded all of our bad players for Jeannot I heard nashville was interested in that but Sullivan didn't want to that.
I don't think ANY out there, including the "experts" saw Jeannot going for this much. A 2nd and a top prospect or a first and a mid prospect should have been enough to get it done.

I don't think ANY OTHER GM in the league would have paid that much. And even if Tampa wins the Cup and Jeannot has a major impact, I'm still not certain the trade was worth it....and I was one of the main people shouting for us to get this guy.

I don't think I'd even give up what Tampa did for prime age Tom Wilson.
bryn20015

Post by bryn20015 »

FLPensFan wrote:
bryn20015 wrote:but the armchair GMs on this board will say if we only had Kapanen we could of gotten Jeannot!!!

I don't think ANY out there, including the "experts" saw Jeannot going for this much. A 2nd and a top prospect or a first and a mid prospect should have been enough to get it done.

I don't think ANY OTHER GM in the league would have paid that much. And even if Tampa wins the Cup and Jeannot has a major impact, I'm still not certain the trade was worth it....and I was one of the main people shouting for us to get this guy.

I think you missed my sarcasm. The post wasn't directed at you anyhow...your one of the more level headed/realstic people on this board. I know this works, every trade is made we are going to go back to Kapanen and ask if we could made that deal with him.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:

I’m trying to think of how many players of all time would demand this kind of return. Hell, Wayne Gretzky got 1 more total asset in the trade to the Kings. You wouldn’t think a guy like Jeannot would come close in a return. What a really weird trade.

Just a shame we didn’t have Kapanen. :fist:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

bryn20015 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

I think you missed my sarcasm. The post wasn't directed at you anyhow...your one of the more level headed/realstic people on this board. I know this works, every trade is made we are going to go back to Kapanen and ask if we could made that deal with him.
I never thought the Pens would get much for Kapanen, but it’s not all the time you see a mid 20s former first round pick get put on waivers. One would have thought a GM would have had the “change of scenery” mentality.