2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 NPR Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote:OK, I would have loved me some Tanner Jeannot, but not at this price:

TB gets Jeannot for a 2025 1st rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in 2023, plus d-man Cal Foote.
Nashville had no reason to trade Jeannot unless they got an offer they couldn't refuse, and they sure did from TB. Just wow.....
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
bryn20015 wrote:but the armchair GMs on this board will say if we only had Kapanen we could of gotten Jeannot!!!

or maybe we could of traded all of our bad players for Jeannot I heard nashville was interested in that but Sullivan didn't want to that.
I don't think ANY out there, including the "experts" saw Jeannot going for this much. A 2nd and a top prospect or a first and a mid prospect should have been enough to get it done.

I don't think ANY OTHER GM in the league would have paid that much. And even if Tampa wins the Cup and Jeannot has a major impact, I'm still not certain the trade was worth it....and I was one of the main people shouting for us to get this guy.

I don't think I'd even give up what Tampa did for prime age Tom Wilson.
I’m trying to think of how many players of all time would demand this kind of return. Hell, Wayne Gretzky got 1 more total asset in the trade to the Kings. You wouldn’t think a guy like Jeannot would come close in a return. What a really weird trade.

Just a shame we didn’t have Kapanen. :fist:
I was arguing a bit with Rob Rossi on Twitter, after he was saying people over-value draft picks. He never mentioned the Jeannot trade by name, but he was saying he doesn't understand why fans of playoff teams value picks outside the top 5 so much. He was basically calling this a good deal for Tampa because they have a shot to win the Cup and those picks don't matter.

He also kind of took a pretty blatant shot at Hextall. He basically seems to be indicating Hextall isn't going to pay the price for Chychrun because he's to worried about the future picks, and then said if they don't get Chychrun or have to pay more for him because of this deal, that's all on Hextall. Said waiting on deals isn't always rewarded.

I'm on board with what Rossi is saying about picks in general. They aren't that important when you are close to a Cup. But you shouldn't just wildly overspend because you can and someone asks you to. And then, it's a bad precedent for the league by driving up prices that high. It's just as bad as the GMs that get so enamored with a player they give someone at like Teddy Blueger's skill level a 5M AAV contract.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
bryn20015 wrote:but the armchair GMs on this board will say if we only had Kapanen we could of gotten Jeannot!!!

or maybe we could of traded all of our bad players for Jeannot I heard nashville was interested in that but Sullivan didn't want to that.
I don't think ANY out there, including the "experts" saw Jeannot going for this much. A 2nd and a top prospect or a first and a mid prospect should have been enough to get it done.

I don't think ANY OTHER GM in the league would have paid that much. And even if Tampa wins the Cup and Jeannot has a major impact, I'm still not certain the trade was worth it....and I was one of the main people shouting for us to get this guy.

I don't think I'd even give up what Tampa did for prime age Tom Wilson.
I’m trying to think of how many players of all time would demand this kind of return. Hell, Wayne Gretzky got 1 more total asset in the trade to the Kings. You wouldn’t think a guy like Jeannot would come close in a return. What a really weird trade.

Just a shame we didn’t have Kapanen. :fist:
I was arguing a bit with Rob Rossi on Twitter, after he was saying people over-value draft picks. He never mentioned the Jeannot trade by name, but he was saying he doesn't understand why fans of playoff teams value picks outside the top 5 so much. He was basically calling this a good deal for Tampa because they have a shot to win the Cup and those picks don't matter.

He also kind of took a pretty blatant shot at Hextall. He basically seems to be indicating Hextall isn't going to pay the price for Chychrun because he's to worried about the future picks, and then said if they don't get Chychrun or have to pay more for him because of this deal, that's all on Hextall. Said waiting on deals isn't always rewarded.

I'm on board with what Rossi is saying about picks in general. They aren't that important when you are close to a Cup. But you shouldn't just wildly overspend because you can and someone asks you to. And then, it's a bad precedent for the league by driving up prices that high. It's just as bad as the GMs that get so enamored with a player they give someone at like Teddy Blueger's skill level a 5M AAV contract.
The attitude that draft picks are overrated are why the Penguins are in the position they’re in, they seem to mimic Rossi’s attitude. Let’s look at TB since they’re about the same team age, same recent history, etc. TB is one of the top teams again, their AHL team is in 2nd place and they have a winning formula by making smart moves, not including the Jeannot one. The Penguins either don’t draft well, don’t develop well, don’t trust the youth, or a combination of all of the above.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Would love Jeannot, but god damn, that price was crazy..
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Thanks to the current playoff alignment, and in spite of all the moves made thus far, only two of the Rangers, Devils, Maple Leafs and Lightning will make it past the first round.

Which of those will feel the worst if their trades result in a first round exit?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Three Stars wrote:Thanks to the current playoff alignment, and in spite of all the moves made thus far, only two of the Rangers, Devils, Maple Leafs and Lightning will make it past the first round.

Which of those will feel the worst if their trades result in a first round exit?
Rangers.

Devils are ahead of schedule in their rebuild and did not mortgage the future at all in their trade.

Leafs lose early every year, why should this be any different?

Lightning are on borrowed time and are preparing for hard times when their core is all gone so figure go all in while they are here. They get lucky though because they draft and sign good depth constantly to make up for not having high end, or this year any, picks.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote:Would love Jeannot, but god damn, that price was crazy..
Heard Marek on the radio this morning. He was speculating that the return Tampa gave up could have been a thank you to Nashville taking McDonough in the off season lol

I don't think that's the case, but it was some return.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Would love Jeannot, but god damn, that price was crazy..
Heard Marek on the radio this morning. He was speculating that the return Tampa gave up could have been a thank you to Nashville taking McDonough in the off season lol

I don't think that's the case, but it was some return.
That wasn't a thank you it was a:

--2nd...BFFs forever!!!
--3rd... We really appreciate it
--4th... You are very kind
--5th... Thank you
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Tampa has done this before...last year. Remember Brandon Hagel. He's another guy that I wanted the Penguins to acquire. A grittier forward who had a really good year for Chicago last year...21 goals when he was traded to Tampa.

Tampa gave up 2 1st rounders, Taylor Raddysh, and Boris Katchouk (they also got 2 4ths back from Chicago)

Everyone was concerned about Hagel being a one year wonder. Well, at 1.5M last year, and this year, and next year...he's currently at 22 goals and career high 49 points, and there's still about 20 games to go.

I still think the price is too high, but...I also wouldn't blink if there was a deal out there and the Penguins were told they needed to throw in a 4th and a 5th to get it done. 1st, 2nd, 3rd plus Cal Foote is still a little bit of a high price, though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Caps apparently interested in Chychrun.
https://www.spectorshockey.net/2023/02/ ... y-27-2023/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

93.7 fan person, Joe Starkey saying penguin fans would love Tom Wilson; please tell me this is not true.

Yes his penalty minutes are down because he would be out for long time with another severe penalty.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

penny lane wrote:93.7 fan person, Joe Starkey saying penguin fans would love Tom Wilson; please tell me this is not true.

Yes his penalty minutes are down because he would be out for long time with another severe penalty.
Honestly, yes, I'd take him. Caps would never ever do it though. Besides, he's been injured more than he's played this year, so pass anyway.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Kapanen was at 2LW today in STL line rushes in practice.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote:Kapanen was at 2LW today in STL line rushes in practice.
This will be a case where if he becomes an all star now then good for him and won’t change the fact he was garbage here.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote:
This will be a case where if he becomes an all star now then good for him and won’t change the fact he was garbage here.
Not sure putting him at LW will be what makes him an all-star. Nice to see STL give him a shot in the top 6, but after failing to be consistent here or in Toronto, I think the Penguins did what they could. I won't be mad if he finds a consistent game elsewhere at this point.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Lafferty and McCabe to Toronto per Jeff Marek. And Elliott Friedman.

EDIT: Full deal per Leafs Twitter

To Leafs:

McCabe (50% retained)
Lafferty
CHI 5th in 2024 (conditional)
CHI 5th in 2025 (conditional)

To Chicago:
2025 1st rounder from TOR (conditional)
2025 2nd rounder from TOR
Joey Anderson
Pavel Gogolev
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Not worth that cost for two guys who might make us slightly harder to play against and no garuntee Sully even dresses them.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

DelPen wrote:Not worth that cost for two guys who might make us slightly harder to play against and no garuntee Sully even dresses them.
Agreed......The costs are too high this year. Its a sellers market. It might behoove GMRH to sell and wait for the offseason.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Not sure putting him at LW will be what makes him an all-star. Nice to see STL give him a shot in the top 6, but after failing to be consistent here or in Toronto, I think the Penguins did what they could. I won't be mad if he finds a consistent game elsewhere at this point.
I really don't think that Kapanen is Berube's type of player. We'll see how it goes, but I don't expect him to have some sort of breakthrough there.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Dynasty1970 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Not worth that cost for two guys who might make us slightly harder to play against and no garuntee Sully even dresses them.
Agreed......The costs are too high this year. Its a sellers market. It might behoove GMRH to sell and wait for the offseason.
I don't think the word sell is in this organization's dictionary.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dynasty1970 wrote:
Not sure I'd agree. McCabe is extremely underrated. To get him for 2 years at 2M cap hit is a steal, even if you are giving up a lottery protected 1st for him. He'd be an instant upgrade over Dumo, and he is a guy that I would look to extend next year while Dumo moves on.

If Hextall was skeptical on Chychrun, McCabe was a very solid and cheaper fallback. Now that option is gone, I'm not sure what else he can go for if he wants an upgrade on defense. Kulikov had been mentioned as tied to the Penguins, but he's a UFA at season's end.

Again, I'm reserving going off the deep end until the end of the week, but it sure looks like Hextall is just choosing to do nothing...do not add...do not sell, which is the worst option of all. Just piss away another year of Sid and Geno, pickup some mediocre mid round draft picks and overpay for more questionable deals this summer.

Kind of like GMJR...GMRH has been good at the deadline deals (Carter and Rakell), and not so good at UFA signings. I'd rather get the right players now with term rather than hoping for a draft day trade or UFA signing to get us in position for next season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:Lafferty and McCabe to Toronto per Jeff Marek. And Elliott Friedman.

To Leafs:

McCabe (50% retained)
Lafferty

To Chicago:
Joey Anderson
Pavel Gogolev
Wonder what the conditions are for the 1st rounder.

Amazing these teams are trading 1st round picks 2+ years in advance. I don't even think FGMJR did that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Lafferty and McCabe to Toronto per Jeff Marek. And Elliott Friedman.

To Leafs:

McCabe (50% retained)
Lafferty

To Chicago:
Joey Anderson
Pavel Gogolev
Wonder what the conditions are for the 1st rounder.

Amazing these teams are trading 1st round picks 2+ years in advance. I don't even think FGMJR did that.
I think the biggest reasons for the futures is that this is reported to be one of the deepest drafts in several years, so most teams are trying to hang onto their 1, 2, and 3rd round picks in 2023.

The condition on the 1st rounder is just lottery protection.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

When Mike Sullivan says "the roster is the roster" remember he had players that he choose to ignore.
Lafferty was one. Same with Ryan Reaves.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:
Dynasty1970 wrote:
Not sure I'd agree. McCabe is extremely underrated. To get him for 2 years at 2M cap hit is a steal, even if you are giving up a lottery protected 1st for him. He'd be an instant upgrade over Dumo, and he is a guy that I would look to extend next year while Dumo moves on.

If Hextall was skeptical on Chychrun, McCabe was a very solid and cheaper fallback. Now that option is gone, I'm not sure what else he can go for if he wants an upgrade on defense. Kulikov had been mentioned as tied to the Penguins, but he's a UFA at season's end.

Again, I'm reserving going off the deep end until the end of the week, but it sure looks like Hextall is just choosing to do nothing...do not add...do not sell, which is the worst option of all. Just piss away another year of Sid and Geno, pickup some mediocre mid round draft picks and overpay for more questionable deals this summer.

Kind of like GMJR...GMRH has been good at the deadline deals (Carter and Rakell), and not so good at UFA signings. I'd rather get the right players now with term rather than hoping for a draft day trade or UFA signing to get us in position for next season.
Yes. McCabe would be perfect slotted next to Letang and a cheap replacement for Dumo. Edmundson is another LD that's said the be available who has size. He used to be Petry's partner in Montreal.

3rd line is still a much bigger priority though.

I would be amazed if Hextall gives in to Arizona's demands for Chrychrun. That goes against everything he stands for pretty much lol