Pittsburgh Pirates Thread 2023

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Pittsburgh Pirates Thread 2023

Post by Grunthy »

Just starting a thread for the pirates for anyone that is interested. Didn’t see one.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Thread 2023

Post by ville5 »

Incredible start. Didn't think they had the bats to put up all the runs they have. Thought pitching was decent, bullpen was strong. Let's hope they can keep the momentum going. Bae has fallen off a bit. Hope he gets back. Rooting for him. And the vets have really brought the team together.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Usually the Pens have more wins in April than the Pirates. Biggest difference I am seeing now is consistently solid starting pitching that lasts past the 4th inning.

Cruz healing up and then calling up Rodriguez later in the summer like they seem to always do for young players to I think gain a year of control in free agency?

I am still expecting an implosion but a wild card spot isn’t out of the question at least this year and it helps that it looks like a lot of other teams are just garbage this season.

Would be quite a turn if the Pirates are the only Pittsburgh team to have a playoff game in 2023. When was the last time that happened?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

And now we have a 5 game losing streak, granted three of those losses were in the middle against the best team in baseball but had we won those we would be the best team.

Is April the real Bucs or will it be May?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So a week later and sweeps by the Rays and Jays. While both teams are good, seems like that forced double header in DC took a lot out of the players and screwed up the rotation a bit and we completely forgot how to pitch and hit for a week.

At least the pitching came back yesterday. No excuse not to sweep the Rockies.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Go Down 9-0. Battle back to go up 13-9 in the top of the 8th, proceed to make stupid and/or bad decisions leaving runs on the table and then give up 2 in the bottom of the 8th and then **** around in the 9th to luckily just give up 1 run to hold on 13-12 and also hurts the Reds playoff hopes. Fun game.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Did you see the Dodgers are screwing the Pirates out of luxury taxes with the Ohtani contract? Ohtani is making $2m/year for the entire contract then $68/year for the next 10 in deferrals. That way the Dodgers don't have to pay the luxury tax. Considering the Pirates ownership just keeps the money, I think it's awesome. Apparently Freeman and Betts also have deferred contracts. All 3 are saving California state income taxes.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Endy somehow needs Tommy John surgery for his UCL while taking an at bat in the DR despite not being a pitcher. So how exactly does this happen? And does Davis still know how to catch?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

So with the Pirates joining SportsNet Pittsburgh, the Red Sox make money on the deal?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2312120089

A key here could be a direct-to-consumer streaming option, something that exists with Boston sports teams and NESN. Asked by the Post-Gazette when Pittsburgh sports fans can expect something similar, Williams offered this:

“From a Penguins and Pirates perspective, we’d like it as soon as possible. I know NESN is working on that."
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Admin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:33 pm So with the Pirates joining SportsNet Pittsburgh, the Red Sox make money on the deal?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2312120089

A key here could be a direct-to-consumer streaming option, something that exists with Boston sports teams and NESN. Asked by the Post-Gazette when Pittsburgh sports fans can expect something similar, Williams offered this:

“From a Penguins and Pirates perspective, we’d like it as soon as possible. I know NESN is working on that."
Hell yes they will. It is why they got involved in the first place. Infiltrate the market, take control, and charge whatever you want to a captive audience. Of course "they'd like it as soon as possible"... gotta recoup that investment.

Letting a Boston firm take control of Pittsburgh sports was never going to work out well. At this point the best we can hope for is that the teams remain in the area.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Daniel wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:05 pm Did you see the Dodgers are screwing the Pirates out of luxury taxes with the Ohtani contract? Ohtani is making $2m/year for the entire contract then $68/year for the next 10 in deferrals. That way the Dodgers don't have to pay the luxury tax. Considering the Pirates ownership just keeps the money, I think it's awesome. Apparently Freeman and Betts also have deferred contracts. All 3 are saving California state income taxes.
Opening day standing room only tickets for the Dodgers are being offered for $434.00. Single ticket to stand up against the wall. A buddy just priced ticket, parking, Dodger dog and 2 beers at $700+ for the game. All the price gouging for a deferred salary for 10 years. He said that his season ticket associate is pressings hard on a four year deal to keep his 2 seats at a 10% increase.

MLB and the way they conduct business have turned me out. Nutting turned me off of the Pirates. I was We are Family.

(Full disclosure, he said that 4 people to visit disney is $700 per day. A trip to the local mountains or beaches are cheaper and healthy).
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:57 am
Daniel wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:05 pm Did you see the Dodgers are screwing the Pirates out of luxury taxes with the Ohtani contract? Ohtani is making $2m/year for the entire contract then $68/year for the next 10 in deferrals. That way the Dodgers don't have to pay the luxury tax. Considering the Pirates ownership just keeps the money, I think it's awesome. Apparently Freeman and Betts also have deferred contracts. All 3 are saving California state income taxes.
Opening day standing room only tickets for the Dodgers are being offered for $434.00. Single ticket to stand up against the wall. A buddy just priced ticket, parking, Dodger dog and 2 beers at $700+ for the game. All the price gouging for a deferred salary for 10 years. He said that his season ticket associate is pressings hard on a four year deal to keep his 2 seats at a 10% increase.

MLB and the way they conduct business have turned me out. Nutting turned me off of the Pirates. I was We are Family.

(Full disclosure, he said that 4 people to visit disney is $700 per day. A trip to the local mountains or beaches are cheaper and healthy).
Mountains and beaches are always better than Dodgers or Disneyland for so many reasons. Baseball has become unwatchable over the years and just no longer fun. I truly hate the runner at 2nd in extra innings thing. If anyone had fundamentals that runner would score almost every time.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Cutch is back. He signed another one year $5M year. Just hope that Achilles is healthy.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Aroldis Chapman signed by the Succos to a one-year, $10.5 million contract! Plan the parade!!! I guess his fastball can still go 100+ although his control has been shaky. Let's see how long he's on the roster in August. I guess he'll be a setup guy for Bednar.

They still need to address starting pitching and probably an outfielder with spring training not too far off from now.

I guess we need a Pirates 2024 thread? Unless the originator can edit the title of this one.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Las Vegas in strong running for 2nd best view with the planned new A’s stadium where the Tropicana is:

This is at the south end of the strip, to the left and up one block is the Knights arena and to the left and down about 2 blocks is the Raiders stadium. It’s also right on their metro rail.

The view at PNC though can’t be beaten by anyone.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

That's one wild looking stadium.

Remember when Kevin McClatchy said the Pirates needed a new stadium to be competitive? Well, at least it is a nice view, so they have that going for them, which is nice.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Pitchers and catchers reported today. Oh boy!