Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Puck-Lurker »

BigMcK wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:32 am If Arizona Coyotes were on a players 'no trade to list', I guess you are fair game to be traded to Utah *name to be determined* with no right to say no???

Vegas to SLC is a nice drive on I-15. SLC to Vegas is more scenic.
Going to go out on a (legal) limb here and say that won't fly. If you list the Yotes as a team you won't be traded to -- that should ceteris paribus mean you can't be traded to the Utah Teebeedees.

Or whatever crap name they come up with. "Real Salt Lake" is already one of the worst names for a sports team, so they can't do *that* much worse.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

There are going to be quite a bit of players under 25 that should get good looks next year even if it means rotating them around.

Not sure if Puustinen, if he resigns, or Poulin have any waiver eligibility left but if not they both need to be on the NHL roster for sure.

The only issue we have is no top 6 guys close to competing unless Yager bulks up a lot this summer but it’s not impossible.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:26 pm Or whatever crap name they come up with. "Real Salt Lake" is already one of the worst names for a sports team, so they can't do *that* much worse.

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Tico Rick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:26 pm Or whatever crap name they come up with. "Real Salt Lake" is already one of the worst names for a sports team, so they can't do *that* much worse.

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?
How about the Double Utes?

Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Man I love playoff hockey
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Me too, but I'd love it more if the Pens were playing.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

stonewizard51 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:17 pm Me too, but I'd love it more if the Pens were playing.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

One step closer to the Canes' 1st round pick.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Looks like Jake is in his usual playoff form against the Isles.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Daniel wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:31 pm

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?

Hmm.. submitted for patent - anonymously, but by the same group:

Utah Yetis
Utah Venom
Utah Fury
Utah Blizzard
Utah Grizzlies

It's alright, I guess?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:14 am

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?

Utah Yetis
Utah Venom
Utah Fury
Utah Blizzard
Utah Grizzlies

It's alright, I guess?
I actually think Blizzard would be perfect. Can you imagine the marketing capabilities for a Blizzard Avalanche back to back game or especially a playoff series? That would be awesome. Cities are pretty close to each other, both high altitude cities, with similar style names could create a really good rivalry and become a marketing persons dream.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Power play~ Sid with 10 PPG and Evgeni with 6. 71 taken off 1st seen as big move by Sullivan. For all of Sid's greatness, he too is part of the failed power play.

Are the pens really not firing or replacing anyone?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

UFA Sam Reinhart would certainly help our power play. He had almost as many PPG's as the entire Pens team had lol. 27 for Reinhart, 40 for the Pens.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?

Utah Yetis
Utah Venom
Utah Fury
Utah Blizzard
Utah Grizzlies

It's alright, I guess?
Venom, Fury, Blizzard = :face: Yetis is very cool as is Grizzlies but that is already taken by a team that is currently the Avs' minor league team in Utah.Someone already created a Utah Yetis logo and jersey online that was really cool looking.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Utah Highway Patrol have a beehive as their logo. Is there a takeoff of a beehive that would work? 🐝
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... e-guentzel

Freidman said recently that if Jake makes it to UFA that it would be a "stunner" if the Pens don't try to sign him...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:57 pm https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... e-guentzel

Freidman said recently that if Jake makes it to UFA that it would be a "stunner" if the Pens don't try to sign him...
I mean, he can say what he wants, and never say never...but by all reports, Jake and his family were not happy about him being traded. I also don't think he was happy that the Penguins reportedly NEVER offered him a contract. Dejan reported near the end of last week that Guentzel just sold his Pittsburgh house to Bryan Rust.

Doesn't sound like a guy that is remotely considering a conversation with Pittsburgh. He's doing well in Carolina. I would not be shocked if Carolina can fit him, that he stays there. Carolina has a much better chance to win a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years than Pittsburgh does.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:32 pm Utah Highway Patrol have a beehive as their logo. Is there a takeoff of a beehive that would work? 🐝
Saw someone mention a revamp of the old soccer team... Salt Lake Sting and had a pretty slick looking logo to go with it. Can't find it again though
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:59 pm
BigMcK wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:32 pm Utah Highway Patrol have a beehive as their logo. Is there a takeoff of a beehive that would work? 🐝
Saw someone mention a revamp of the old soccer team... Salt Lake Sting and had a pretty slick looking logo to go with it. Can't find it again though
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:01 pm

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?

Utah Yetis
Utah Venom
Utah Fury
Utah Blizzard
Utah Grizzlies

It's alright, I guess?
Venom, Fury, Blizzard = :face: Yetis is very cool as is Grizzlies but that is already taken by a team that is currently the Avs' minor league team in Utah.Someone already created a Utah Yetis logo and jersey online that was really cool looking.
I thought the Stormin Mormons was the funniest, the Blizzard is too much like the Avalanche.

I'm guessing it'll be the Utah Yeti
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:50 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:59 pm
Yeah, that's the original. I meant the logo that this person came up with...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

The singing Mormons. :!:
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:18 pm
KG wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:57 pm https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... e-guentzel

I mean, he can say what he wants, and never say never...but by all reports, Jake and his family were not happy about him being traded. I also don't think he was happy that the Penguins reportedly NEVER offered him a contract. Dejan reported near the end of last week that Guentzel just sold his Pittsburgh house to Bryan Rust.

Doesn't sound like a guy that is remotely considering a conversation with Pittsburgh. He's doing well in Carolina. I would not be shocked if Carolina can fit him, that he stays there. Carolina has a much better chance to win a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years than Pittsburgh does.
I do think it's interesting to consider that if the Pens can trade Smith, they'd have the cap room to go after a top-tier UFA, which obviously includes Guentzel. But Dubas already seemingly wasn't willing to offer what Guentzel could get on the open market, so I'm not sure what would be different come summer, especially since Guentzel obviously harbors some hard feelings towards the Pens now.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:57 pm
Sams_Dog wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:01 pm

The Utah Mormons?
The Utah Kintoomees?

Utah Yetis
Utah Venom
Utah Fury
Utah Blizzard
Utah Grizzlies

It's alright, I guess?
I thought the Stormin Mormons was the funniest, the Blizzard is too much like the Avalanche.

I'm guessing it'll be the Utah Yeti
I don’t like nicknames without an S at the end. I don’t want it to sound like an MLS team. I like Utah Pioneers or Stingers. Or keep them the Coyotes.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

They can’t use Coyotes since they didn’t actually purchase the team, just all the players and staff. The name and history stays in Arizona for now as they are technically inactive.