Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Decided to make a thread for Penguins random stuff that may not fit into the existing, massive offseason thread. Two items to start us off:

1) In Josh Yohe's mailbag today, someone asked about trades that fell through over the years. He mentioned that a few years ago, Rutherford had a deal to acquire Penguin killer Frank Vatrano, but it fell through at the last minute. Going back some years, Josh also said Rob Blake was almost a Penguin back in 2001. Yohe said Patrick was in the process of setting the news conference when Colorado came in and sniped him from the Penguins at the last moments.

2) Not sure who may have seen this yet, but DK Pittsburgh Sports is planning on going "non-paywall" for most of its articles. Dejan says there will still be paid subscriptions that get members access to their commenting platform, maybe some exclusive articles and other stuff. But overall, he says the site was never really built to be paywalled and managing it is very time consuming. By opening up the articles, he feels it will grow the base. I think this is supposed to go in effect end of this month or beginning of September.

(I had an initial membership to the site, and quit when one of the main Penguins people left...can't even remember which it was as so many have left that place. I've had a severely discounted memberships since then, but, I don't think I'm going to pay $60 or whatever it is just for a few measly exclusives or the ability to comment...which I seldom do there.)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pitts »

1) I recall hearing whispers about the Vatrano idea. Dude was a real Penguin killer back then.
The Rob Blake story surprised me. I never heard of that, but WOW!

2) I read Dejan's whole thread on that. I will happily consume the articles. I do think Haas has some good content. I will not pay to be part of any online community. I wonder where he thinks he headed with this, but it seems he's thought it out pretty well. I'm not sure who he's competing with that would drive demand, unless it is the Athletic (?). So, subscriptions will get access to vlog, podcasts, video, etc and his merchandise? Is that it? Meh ... I saw Madden tweet that his stuff has always been free. There seems to have been quite a falling out between those 2.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote:1) I recall hearing whispers about the Vatrano idea. Dude was a real Penguin killer back then.

2) I read Dejan's whole thread on that. I will happily consume the articles. I do think Haas has some good content. I will not pay to be part of any online community. I wonder where he thinks he headed with this, but it seems he's thought it out pretty well. I'm not sure who he's competing with that would drive demand, unless it is the Athletic (?). So, subscriptions will get access to vlog, podcasts, video, etc and his merchandise? Is that it? Meh ... I saw Madden tweet that his stuff has always been free. There seems to have been quite a falling out between those 2.
On #2, same way I feel. If I comment on Penguins, it's here, Twitter, or occasionally my blog that I need to be motivated to write. I don't see the benefit for me of keeping a subscription if the content is free. I'm not paying attention to Pirates, and only briefly will I look at Steelers stuff. It's Penguins or nothing.

Regarding Madden, I cannot recall exactly what happened, but I believe Dejan felt Madden personally attacked him. Not his viewpoint, but said something personal and Dejan just dropped Madden then and there. Doesn't host when Madden is out, doesn't interact with him at all anymore. I know Madden can rub people the wrong way with his schtick, but Dejan isn't exactly a saint either. Just ask all 30 or more people he's fired.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I used to subscribe as well but he is so thin skinned and blocks anyone who disagrees with him. It is actually embarrassing. And the arrogance was just too much.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Always loved Rob Blake. Remember when Orpik was drafted, they said he was like Blake without the shot.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:1) I recall hearing whispers about the Vatrano idea. Dude was a real Penguin killer back then.

On #2, same way I feel. If I comment on Penguins, it's here, Twitter, or occasionally my blog that I need to be motivated to write. I don't see the benefit for me of keeping a subscription if the content is free. I'm not paying attention to Pirates, and only briefly will I look at Steelers stuff. It's Penguins or nothing.

Regarding Madden, I cannot recall exactly what happened, but I believe Dejan felt Madden personally attacked him. Not his viewpoint, but said something personal and Dejan just dropped Madden then and there. Doesn't host when Madden is out, doesn't interact with him at all anymore. I know Madden can rub people the wrong way with his schtick, but Dejan isn't exactly a saint either. Just ask all 30 or more people he's fired.
I am no fan of Dejan any longer. I was when he worked at the press. It seems since he's gone out on his own, he's just so full of himself. And I have heard nothing but horror stories form those who have worked there. I dropped my subscription after only a year or so when that story came out about the woman writer (employee) who was asked about showing better cleavage or something. I forget who she was now. I think she dropped off twitter (X).

I do remember Madden and DK going back and forth on twitter for a while. Like you said, probably just 2 big heads getting offended. LOL
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote:Always loved Rob Blake. Remember when Orpik was drafted, they said he was like Blake without the shot.
...and the hockey sense ... the skating ability ... the overall skillset ... LOL

I did enjoy Brooks' time here though. He still has the "shift of the ages" to his credit!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote:
KG wrote:Always loved Rob Blake. Remember when Orpik was drafted, they said he was like Blake without the shot.
...and the hockey sense ... the skating ability ... the overall skillset ... LOL

I did enjoy Brooks' time here though. He still has the "shift of the ages" to his credit!
Yeah, but I'm not aware of the existence of Carboard Rob Blake, unlike....

Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Yeah, but I'm not aware of the existence of Carboard Rob Blake, unlike....

Didn't we use that to replace Dumoulin?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

By those comments he sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing with his site. It's easy to set up "stuff" as free while having others behind a paywall. Is he just doing it all himself? Seems like the kinda guy that will try to build up a semi-decent audience with free content then flip back to charging. But whatever, all content creators have that right and if it's worth it, people will pay....
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Cow_Master66 wrote:By those comments he sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing with his site. It's easy to set up "stuff" as free while having others behind a paywall. Is he just doing it all himself? Seems like the kinda guy that will try to build up a semi-decent audience with free content then flip back to charging. But whatever, all content creators have that right and if it's worth it, people will pay....
I don't think it's that he doesn't know what he is doing. I just think he overthinks thing and is incredibly anal about how things are run. IMO, he's someone that will ask you to do something, you complete the task just fine, but he rips into you because it wasn't done the way he wanted it done or the way he would have done it.

I like Taylor Haase, and think she has done a good job there...but, with all the people he has run out of his company, either leaving on their own or him firing them, I'm a bit amazed that SHE is the one that has stuck around. She was a social media coordinator fresh out of college when she started there. Good on her for advancing her career to where it is, but it is just odd to me that people like Mackey, Yohe, and Molinari all came and went (good experienced reporters) and someone that fresh has remained.

DK has begged me to come back to his site more than once. I don't even know who the reporter was that left that caused me to quit (I only care about the Penguins beat), and I only rejoined a year or so ago for like $1 for the year when Molinari came back. I don't care about "the community" there, so free articles will be just that for me...free.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:By those comments he sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing with his site. It's easy to set up "stuff" as free while having others behind a paywall. Is he just doing it all himself? Seems like the kinda guy that will try to build up a semi-decent audience with free content then flip back to charging. But whatever, all content creators have that right and if it's worth it, people will pay....
I don't think it's that he doesn't know what he is doing. I just think he overthinks thing and is incredibly anal about how things are run. IMO, he's someone that will ask you to do something, you complete the task just fine, but he rips into you because it wasn't done the way he wanted it done or the way he would have done it.

I like Taylor Haase, and think she has done a good job there...but, with all the people he has run out of his company, either leaving on their own or him firing them, I'm a bit amazed that SHE is the one that has stuck around. She was a social media coordinator fresh out of college when she started there. Good on her for advancing her career to where it is, but it is just odd to me that people like Mackey, Yohe, and Molinari all came and went (good experienced reporters) and someone that fresh has remained.

DK has begged me to come back to his site more than once. I don't even know who the reporter was that left that caused me to quit (I only care about the Penguins beat), and I only rejoined a year or so ago for like $1 for the year when Molinari came back. I don't care about "the community" there, so free articles will be just that for me...free.
@Cow_Master66 - I think he has hit a bit of a wall with subscriptions and is trying something new to generate more revenue. He also stated in his long-winded post that as he travels to other cities to cover games, he runs into so may Pittsburgh fans who apparently do not have access to fan sites like this one to engage with like-minded fans. At least that was what I gathered. So, he want to create an online Pittsburgh sport community for fans. And charge you for it.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very random. 18th century Penguins. I think the Geno one ended up on his instagram, but here’s the rest.

Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWr9nKxDYTo

2 and a half hours of Mike Lange.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

@Cow_Master66 - I think he has hit a bit of a wall with subscriptions and is trying something new to generate more revenue. He also stated in his long-winded post that as he travels to other cities to cover games, he runs into so may Pittsburgh fans who apparently do not have access to fan sites like this one to engage with like-minded fans. At least that was what I gathered. So, he want to create an online Pittsburgh sport community for fans. And charge you for it.
Joke’s on him, there are no other boards
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Three Stars wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWr9nKxDYTo[/youtube]

2 and a half hours of Mike Lange.
After the recent passing of Rick Jeanneret this scared the **** out of me and had to google if Lange was still with us.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=HBOooaUtLkY[/youtube]

An hour of Doc Emrick calling Penguin goals.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This got a legit lol out of me.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Three Stars wrote:

This got a legit lol out of me.
Maybe he's upgraded.
8-)
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I think this season, it finally makes sense to split Sid and Geno up on two separate powerplay units. I was always against the idea in the past because we only had Letang. Now with EK and Letang I feel like it actually makes a lot of sense. No team will have the personnel to defend against two #1 PP's.
Sid, Jake, Rust, Ek, & ?
Geno, Rakell, Smith, Letang, & ?

Alternate who is the #1 line throughout the game so that Sid's line isnt getting the majority of the time. I would at least try it.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:06 pm I think this season, it finally makes sense to split Sid and Geno up on two separate powerplay units. I was always against the idea in the past because we only had Letang. Now with EK and Letang I feel like it actually makes a lot of sense. No team will have the personnel to defend against two #1 PP's.
Sid, Jake, Rust, Ek, & ?
Geno, Rakell, Smith, Letang, & ?

Alternate who is the #1 line throughout the game so that Sid's line isnt getting the majority of the time. I would at least try it.
It's something that should have happened sooner IMO. First unit stays out sooo long , sucking wind, that second unit barely gets time. How nice would it be to actually have two separate units, that when the PP expires you have a fresh Sid or Geno popping over the boards? Imagine that when the PK has been pinned in the zone and are pylons...
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Sid the Kydd.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Three Stars wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:22 pm

Sid the Kydd.
That boy's father replied to the tweet! How cool for his son.