Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by DelPen »

I’m probably going to be driving between 5 and 6 later today so if someone wants to take the Wings thread, have at it.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

DelPen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:26 am I’m probably going to be driving between 5 and 6 later today so if someone wants to take the Wings thread, have at it.
Done!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Spoiler:
Three Stars wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:39 am *sigh* Ok, let's go point by point.
BigMcK wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:11 am Once the Penguins are officially eliminated, FSG can state that they did everything within their power to support the teams quest for a playoff spot. Massage the narrative. Tell season ticket holders that the team did the best that they could. Spew Corporate BULL Sheet!!!
You mean like every owner since the beginning of time? Even terrible teams say they're going to try and compete. This is not a Penguin or FSG-specific thing.
Once officially eliminated, put all of the deadwood players onto LTIR and then bank cap space for the call ups. 15(?) games to go in the season?
Unless they all have have lacerated spleens or some other kind of verifiable injury, the NHL (nor the NHLPA for that matter) will not allow this kind of temper tantrum.
Probably not going to happen because this franchise is burning longtime fan loyalty.
Or because it's against the CBA, but sure, go off king. If this season is enough for you or anyone else to question or renounce your loyalty to the team, then your loyalty mustn't be all that ironclad. This is not even close to the worst times this franchise has ever had, not to mention any other franchise.
Maybe I am bitter when looking back at the work that keyboard warriors like Karsh rallied the faithful to save the Penguins to remain in Pittsburgh, and FSG now craps on the fans.
What did FSG have to do with the Penguins in the late 1990s? Were they even remotely in the picture then? Do you count as the faithful given that you threatened to withdraw your support below?
Back in lean years, I spent my money to see my favorite team on ice on the West Coast. Many West Coast fans did. Low budget Penguins teams.

I am going to wait until the start of the season before even remotely commiting to a single ticket purchase locally.
I'm sure those west coast teams will miss your single ticket purchase terribly. Incidentally, gate (ticket) revenue is partially kept by the home team, with the rest sent directly to the league. You don't attend home games, so there's no direct financial connection between you and the team.
Pittsburgh Penguins, as a FSG corporate owned team is a buzz kill. Money to burn, a coaching staff that is on full suck mode, and a GM without balls.
Or, the team's best players are showing their age and can no longer carry the roster, something that this franchise has literally never seen. Think about it. The only player who stuck around to age last time was Lemieux and he was gone half the time for one reason or another. All the rest got traded long before their warranties expired. This fan base has literally never seen this before, and judging by your diatribe and various others, I don't think you're handling it all that well.
Sid, you are not the problem nor solution. Me personally, I go for another ring with your friends. FSG is only going to market your greatness.
An owner marketing its best player's greatness. Be still my beating heart. The only time I've ever seen Crosby do something out of spite, it was becoming the all time leading scorer against the Flyers. Otherwise, you don't see Sid doing spiteful things.

Anyone else want to threaten to renounce their fandom over this season?
tl;dr

Lol... I feel so honored that you took so much time to digest the ranting from me on a alcohol fueled night after a crappy work day. There's this thing called life; I kindly suggest that you check it out. Best wishes from sunny SoCal.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Carter is out tonight ….Pens don’t recall Pono or Poulin. Gruden is back up…
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:04 pm
Spoiler:
Three Stars wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:39 am *sigh* Ok, let's go point by point.
BigMcK wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:11 am Once the Penguins are officially eliminated, FSG can state that they did everything within their power to support the teams quest for a playoff spot. Massage the narrative. Tell season ticket holders that the team did the best that they could. Spew Corporate BULL Sheet!!!
You mean like every owner since the beginning of time? Even terrible teams say they're going to try and compete. This is not a Penguin or FSG-specific thing.
Once officially eliminated, put all of the deadwood players onto LTIR and then bank cap space for the call ups. 15(?) games to go in the season?
Unless they all have have lacerated spleens or some other kind of verifiable injury, the NHL (nor the NHLPA for that matter) will not allow this kind of temper tantrum.
Probably not going to happen because this franchise is burning longtime fan loyalty.
Or because it's against the CBA, but sure, go off king. If this season is enough for you or anyone else to question or renounce your loyalty to the team, then your loyalty mustn't be all that ironclad. This is not even close to the worst times this franchise has ever had, not to mention any other franchise.
Maybe I am bitter when looking back at the work that keyboard warriors like Karsh rallied the faithful to save the Penguins to remain in Pittsburgh, and FSG now craps on the fans.
What did FSG have to do with the Penguins in the late 1990s? Were they even remotely in the picture then? Do you count as the faithful given that you threatened to withdraw your support below?
Back in lean years, I spent my money to see my favorite team on ice on the West Coast. Many West Coast fans did. Low budget Penguins teams.

I am going to wait until the start of the season before even remotely commiting to a single ticket purchase locally.
I'm sure those west coast teams will miss your single ticket purchase terribly. Incidentally, gate (ticket) revenue is partially kept by the home team, with the rest sent directly to the league. You don't attend home games, so there's no direct financial connection between you and the team.
Pittsburgh Penguins, as a FSG corporate owned team is a buzz kill. Money to burn, a coaching staff that is on full suck mode, and a GM without balls.
Or, the team's best players are showing their age and can no longer carry the roster, something that this franchise has literally never seen. Think about it. The only player who stuck around to age last time was Lemieux and he was gone half the time for one reason or another. All the rest got traded long before their warranties expired. This fan base has literally never seen this before, and judging by your diatribe and various others, I don't think you're handling it all that well.
Sid, you are not the problem nor solution. Me personally, I go for another ring with your friends. FSG is only going to market your greatness.
An owner marketing its best player's greatness. Be still my beating heart. The only time I've ever seen Crosby do something out of spite, it was becoming the all time leading scorer against the Flyers. Otherwise, you don't see Sid doing spiteful things.

Anyone else want to threaten to renounce their fandom over this season?
tl;dr

Lol... I feel so honored that you took so much time to digest the ranting from me on a alcohol fueled night after a crappy work day. There's this thing called life; I kindly suggest that you check it out. Best wishes from sunny SoCal.
haha telling someone to get a life when you took the time to post on a message board that because the Penguins don't do what you think they should do that you are not going to be a fan anymore...is pretty classic. I just don't get the irrational hate of FSG, maybe because they aren't Mario??
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:31 pm Carter is out tonight ….Pens don’t recall Pono or Poulin. Gruden is back up…
Puljujärvi should take Carter's spot
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Interesting tidbit in Yohe's mailbag in the Athletic today. The question was whether the Pens should keep a top 10 pick this year or roll the dice and give it up with an eye toward next year's draft. Yohe mentioned that a top 10 pick this year gets that player one extra year of development (I use that term loosely with the Pens' track record) toward getting to the big club than one next year. That makes sense if the idea is to see if they can do anything to make a run in a couple of years. I actually never thought about that. If it's top 10 this year, I think they should keep it. They could be worse next year, but with the right moves (ahem, cough, new coach before anything else, cough, cough), they could be a bit better.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

ahawk9 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 am Interesting tidbit in Yohe's mailbag in the Athletic today. The question was whether the Pens should keep a top 10 pick this year or roll the dice and give it up with an eye toward next year's draft. Yohe mentioned that a top 10 pick this year gets that player one extra year of development (I use that term loosely with the Pens' track record) toward getting to the big club than one next year. That makes sense if the idea is to see if they can do anything to make a run in a couple of years. I actually never thought about that. If it's top 10 this year, I think they should keep it. They could be worse next year, but with the right moves (ahem, cough, new coach before anything else, cough, cough), they could be a bit better.
That's what I think too. As long as the team has the core, they're not truly going to try to tank. I think Dubas will try to make moves this summer to try to be competitive again next season. So, they might still not make the playoffs next year, but I doubt they'll be down in, say, the bottom 5 with the teams that really aren't trying to win.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Without wholesale roster changes over the summer, this team will not be better next season. The slide will continue for the older guys as it does with older guys. The group hovering around 30 behind them have all drastically underperformed. The group of young guys behind them haven't been given much of a chance to succeed and develop. This coaching staff hasn't changed anything from a offensive or defensive approach in multiple seasons so do we really think Sullivan is going to change in the summer?

Sadly, this is most likely a preview of the next several seasons. We can watch and appreciate the tail end of several Hall of Fame careers. Enjoy the memories. Bid our farewells. And lament that 6 year contract to Ryan Graves.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

maopens wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 am Without wholesale roster changes over the summer, this team will not be better next season. The slide will continue for the older guys as it does with older guys. The group hovering around 30 behind them have all drastically underperformed. The group of young guys behind them haven't been given much of a chance to succeed and develop. This coaching staff hasn't changed anything from a offensive or defensive approach in multiple seasons so do we really think Sullivan is going to change in the summer?

Sadly, this is most likely a preview of the next several seasons. We can watch and appreciate the tail end of several Hall of Fame careers. Enjoy the memories. Bid our farewells. And lament that 6 year contract to Ryan Graves.

Unfortunately, we all have seen the writing on the wall much longer than those running the show.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

largegarlic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:19 am
ahawk9 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 am Interesting tidbit in Yohe's mailbag in the Athletic today. The question was whether the Pens should keep a top 10 pick this year or roll the dice and give it up with an eye toward next year's draft. Yohe mentioned that a top 10 pick this year gets that player one extra year of development (I use that term loosely with the Pens' track record) toward getting to the big club than one next year. That makes sense if the idea is to see if they can do anything to make a run in a couple of years. I actually never thought about that. If it's top 10 this year, I think they should keep it. They could be worse next year, but with the right moves (ahem, cough, new coach before anything else, cough, cough), they could be a bit better.
That's what I think too. As long as the team has the core, they're not truly going to try to tank. I think Dubas will try to make moves this summer to try to be competitive again next season. So, they might still not make the playoffs next year, but I doubt they'll be down in, say, the bottom 5 with the teams that really aren't trying to win.
Keeping and then trading this years pick (maybe alongside other parts) for a relatively proven younger player would accelerate the soft rebuild. Less of a gamble and they could contribute alongside the current core. It could also form part of a bigger package to facilitate the jettison of current roster anchors. Depends if they commit to contending short term or rebuilding long term.

All moot since the biggest anchor is what all the other teams are looking for - according to Dubas...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... ins-nhl-dk

DK playing a lot of Monday Morning QB in my opinion and taking his shots at KD. At the time I had no problem with the moves. I was all in on Karlsson, Smith was a no-brainer, Graves a 27 year old top 4 D man, Acciari I always liked. I actually didn't love the Eller signing, but he's been solid. Jarry I didn't like either, but I understood it.

He said on his podcast this morning that "this isn't Toronto we expect more here" jeez. How quickly they turn on the GM who's been here for 8 months, but never on our messiah coach. The bigger question that needs to be asked, and nobody in the media ever asks it is, why did all the new acquisitions struggle here? Why is it that everyone on the roster had a down year beside Sid Rust and Eller?

Did these solid pros all fall off a cliff overnight? How they don't see that this team badly needs a shot in the arm and a new voice? I don't get it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:54 am https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... ins-nhl-dk

DK playing a lot of Monday Morning QB in my opinion and taking his shots at KD. At the time I had no problem with the moves. I was all in on Karlsson, Smith was a no-brainer, Graves a 27 year old top 4 D man, Acciari I always liked. I actually didn't love the Eller signing, but he's been solid. Jarry I didn't like either, but I understood it.

He said on his podcast this morning that "this isn't Toronto we expect more here" jeez. How quickly they turn on the GM who's been here for 8 months, but never on our messiah coach. The bigger question that needs to be asked, and nobody in the media ever asks it is, why did all the new acquisitions struggle here? Why is it that everyone on the roster had a down year beside Sid Rust and Eller?

Did these solid pros all fall off a cliff overnight? How they don't see that this team badly needs a shot in the arm and a new voice? I don't get it.
Karlsson magically went from a 100 point, Norris trophy winner, to a 46 point defenseman, his lowest total over 60 games in over 10 years. Essentially, his lowest non-injury season in his career.

Reilly Smith is also on pace for his lowest non-injury season point total in his career.

Rakell is on pace for his lowest non-injury season point total in his career.

Ryan Graves was overpaid, too much term, and no need for 6 years of trade protection. His underlying numbers like Corsi, Shots, Goal Against are not actually that bad...but anyone watching the games can see he is a train wreck on skates. He was not this bad in NJ or Colorado.

Acciari is often injured. In 9 seasons, he has once played over 70 games. He's played 53 games for PIT this year, and has 7 points. He played 54 games for STL last year before going to Toronto, and had 18 points. 66 games for Florida a few years ago, he has 27 points.

Is this a KD issue, grabbing the wrong guys, giving out the wrong contracts...or is this a coach, who's system is either so complex or niche, that he cannot get the right players to fit his system anymore? It's quite odd the number of guys that come here and struggle, or leave and flourish elsewhere.

This really seems like a Bylsma situation, but the only difference is that ownership backs the coach, so nobody is actually in danger of being held accountable or being fired.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Good to see Puljujarvi getting back in the lineup. Well, there are no other healthy forwards left on the roster with Gruden being sent back down. You're up Pool Party!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:30 pm

Good to see Puljujarvi getting back in the lineup. Well, there are no other healthy forwards left on the roster with Gruden being sent back down. You're up Pool Party!
Maybe they are doing it to make him more versatile, but I'd rather see Puljujarvi on RW, which is where he'd played his whole career. I guess beggars can't be choosers though at this point...at least he's in the lineup. Hope St. Ivany gets a shot tomorrow.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:45 am
KG wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:54 am https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... ins-nhl-dk

Karlsson magically went from a 100 point, Norris trophy winner, to a 46 point defenseman, his lowest total over 60 games in over 10 years. Essentially, his lowest non-injury season in his career.

Reilly Smith is also on pace for his lowest non-injury season point total in his career.

Ryan Graves was overpaid, too much term, and no need for 6 years of trade protection. His underlying numbers like Corsi, Shots, Goal Against are not actually that bad...but anyone watching the games can see he is a train wreck on skates. He was not this bad in NJ or Colorado.

Acciari is often injured. In 9 seasons, he has once played over 70 games. He's played 53 games for PIT this year, and has 7 points. He played 54 games for STL last year before going to Toronto, and had 18 points. 66 games for Florida a few years ago, he has 27 points.

Is this a KD issue, grabbing the wrong guys, giving out the wrong contracts...or is this a coach, who's system is either so complex or niche, that he cannot get the right players to fit his system anymore? It's quite odd the number of guys that come here and struggle, or leave and flourish elsewhere.

This really seems like a Bylsma situation, but the only difference is that ownership backs the coach, so nobody is actually in danger of being held accountable or being fired.
Are there any quotes/interviews from former players whose statements even glancingly suggest that Sullivan puts players in positions that diminished their strengths? Asking sincerely. I tend to agree with the idea that Sully is too rigid in deploying players in ways that under-utilize their skillset, outside of Sid... I don't think anyone could make him produce less, regardless.

Karlsson does seem to be the best example of a world class player who's been brought in and has CLEARLY underperformed his typical production.

The longer this goes, the more frustrating this seems to get...
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Guinness wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:25 pm

Are there any quotes/interviews from former players whose statements even glancingly suggest that Sullivan puts players in positions that diminished their strengths? Asking sincerely. I tend to agree with the idea that Sully is too rigid in deploying players in ways that under-utilize their skillset, outside of Sid... I don't think anyone could make him produce less, regardless.

Karlsson does seem to be the best example of a world class player who's been brought in and has CLEARLY underperformed his typical production.

I'll admit, at first, I was on board with Sullivan come h*ll or high water. But, I'm getting to the point where most things eventually come back to him.
Now, I don't think they'll outright fire him. If they do decide to part ways, I think they grant him permission to speak with other teams and he leaves that way. The only other scenario—and they did this already—is relieving one or both assistant coaches and brining in new voices around him.
There must be change in some way behind the bench, otherwise I don't see much else changing except for 2-3 new players being added to the roster.
Like Madden has said for awhile now: If Sullivan and the core 4 players return, not much will change.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

I could only imagine the fallout to a player who spoke negatively about a former coach, be it this one or any other. At that point you are not only burning the bridge, but you are in full demolition mode. You just never know who you will encounter miles down the road.

Possibly when there are no mic's around someone in the media may hear some things and pass those along as 'unconfirmed sources claim xxxx was unhappy in xxxx being coached by xxxx'.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -critique/

Needless to say, I agree with this article. Sullivan is the latest of reductive boogeymen to be anointed by the Yinzer mob. I don’t like everything he’s done, but I like the players’ performance and reactions even less. I anticipate a roster house cleaning this offseason.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

maopens wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 am Without wholesale roster changes over the summer, this team will not be better next season. The slide will continue for the older guys as it does with older guys. The group hovering around 30 behind them have all drastically underperformed. The group of young guys behind them haven't been given much of a chance to succeed and develop. This coaching staff hasn't changed anything from a offensive or defensive approach in multiple seasons so do we really think Sullivan is going to change in the summer?

No team can ever stay on top forever. I really do not know what fans expect any more. Yes, it's been a bad, frustrating season. But this core gave us three Stanley Cups in 10 years. There is exactly ONE other team that can claim that in the same time - Chicago. Two other teams did it twice since. Do you know how many fans never even got a sniff?

Personally, I am going to enjoy the bolded part of your statement because I feel, as fans, we owe that to the team. Yes, we may be in for some rough times ahead. But most of us have been through it before and still enjoyed watching Hockey. I think that's what I will do. And if we happen to find some more of that success we all crave, it will be icing on the cake.

:)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Three Stars wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:42 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... -critique/

Needless to say, I agree with this article. Sullivan is the latest of reductive boogeymen to be anointed by the Yinzer mob. I don’t like everything he’s done, but I like the players’ performance and reactions even less. I anticipate a roster house cleaning this offseason.
Yeehaw, I made it into the article. LOL
VA Fan

Post by VA Fan »

I am not sure what I make of the article to be honest. I can agree that Mike Sullivan is going to be the coach of the penguins next year.

I can agree that the team has not been very good this year on either side of the puck though.

I can not agree that the roster past or present does not have some of Mike Sulivan’s finger prints all over it.

If we are going to call out the players. We have to call out all of them because all of them have been having some defensive issues game in and game out. It is not just the usual whipping boys or the players brought in by Kyle Dubas.
I am all for a roster overhaul. However if we overhaul the roster again with the same results I think there should be some acknowledgment that it has to be the coaching staff at that point.

I am not sure I am prepared to give Mike Sullivan a 4th GM.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

VA Fan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm I am not sure what I make of the article to be honest. I can agree that Mike Sullivan is going to be the coach of the penguins next year.

I can agree that the team has not been very good this year on either side of the puck though.

I can not agree that the roster past or present does not have some of Mike Sulivan’s finger prints all over it.

If we are going to call out the players. We have to call out all of them because all of them have been having some defensive issues game in and game out. It is not just the usual whipping boys or the players brought in by Kyle Dubas.
I am all for a roster overhaul. However if we overhaul the roster again with the same results I think there should be some acknowledgment that it has to be the coaching staff at that point.

I am not sure I am prepared to give Mike Sullivan a 4th GM.
This is where Sullivan vastly differs from his mentor, Torts. Torts made Sean Couturier a healthy scratch this week. Torts has scratched guys like Roslovic, Laine, and PLD in Columbus. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of middle 6 veterans that Torts has scratched over the years because he's not getting the right level of effort from them or the team.

Sullivan can't even be bothered to sit Jeff Carter when he looks like he's coasting around looking for his Welch's gummies on the ice. Malkin could easily sit a game. Carter could sit several. Graves could be eating some nachos. But, can't do that to the vets.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Part two of the Yohe mailbag is out.

He feels that it’s “unlikely but more likely than it was a month ago” that Guentzel is re-signed by the Penguins during free agency. Jake is enjoying his experience but he’s in no hurry to sign with the Canes or anyone else right now. If his asking price is in the 8 million dollar range then it’s at least a possibility for the Pens, if not a high one.

They didn’t trade many players because of the salary cap, in that other teams couldn’t handle the $$$. That will change once the salary cap goes up this offseason.
Sullivan is likely to return as coach next season. He has the full support of general manager and president of hockey operations Kyle Dubas and team owners Fenway Sports Group. I know: Many of you think Sullivan is the problem, and many of you get irritated with me because I disagree. Maybe he’s no longer the right person for the job. That’s conceivable. But in my opinion, the flawed roster is a far bigger problem.

And, to answer your question, he’s not getting fired. Now, could we have a situation where he no longer wants to coach this team? That’s up to him, and only he knows the answer. I won’t speak for him. I haven’t sensed it to be the case, though.
Are you a Dubas sympathizer? — @ziviens

No, not at all. He’s made some mistakes already and has much to prove. But I also think his current situation is next to impossible and that a significant portion of the fan base will complain regardless of what he does. He inherited a terrible mess.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 100565 »

Are there any quotes/interviews from former players whose statements even glancingly suggest that Sullivan puts players in positions that diminished their strengths? Asking sincerely.
Jake recently was quoted, “ "Yeah, it's a good road trip for us, we want to make sure we are feeling good here, a good team effort for us. We'll take the win and move on. There's just a lot of high-end players, they're well coached; they play the right way. It's been fun, they've taken me in so far and I've enjoyed everyday."”

Might be nothing. Might be a minor jab?

No player currently playing would be wise to complain about recent team/coach.