Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by DelPen »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:54 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:44 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm What happened to the cool Winnie the Pooh background?
Pooh got called up to be the EBUG.
I missed the Winnie the Pooh background, unless it was the one with the flies climbing all over, and having missed the live feed broadcast, I missed the EBUG. Good EBUG or bad EBUG?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:32 pm Quillan signing with Toronto was announced about 10-15 minutes ago. Seravalli says some scouts think Quillan has more NHL upside than Collin Graf, who it sounds like is also going to sign in the East somewhere.
Pens are interested. But so are 25 other teams apparently.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/4/2/2411 ... ollin-graf
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

we could use an organizational win. Hopefully we can get that kid.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:54 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:44 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm What happened to the cool Winnie the Pooh background?
Pooh got called up to be the EBUG.
I missed the Winnie the Pooh background, unless it was the one with the flies climbing all over, and having missed the live feed broadcast, I missed the EBUG. Good EBUG or bad EBUG?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Blomqvist recalled from WBS. No word yet on whether they go back to back with Ned, or give Blomma his first NHL start.

EDIT1: Sullivan to speak here any moment. Should learn who the starter is. On one hand, Ned has played well and deserves the back to back starts. On the other, Blomqvist has played really well in WBS and it would be nice to see him get in an NHL game (although, with playoffs still a chance, they may not take that perceived risk).

EDIT2: Ned will start. Blomqvist backup. Jarry still sick.

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Thanks.
Lots of work for Ned. Bend, don't break.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Another season where Jarry is needed in April and he's sick or hurt. Dubas really needs to consider moving him this summer
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

KG wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:27 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:32 pm Quillan signing with Toronto was announced about 10-15 minutes ago. Seravalli says some scouts think Quillan has more NHL upside than Collin Graf, who it sounds like is also going to sign in the East somewhere.
Pens are interested. But so are 25 other teams apparently.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/4/2/2411 ... ollin-graf
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

why would the Penguins want to sign him? He is a young player, Sullivan hates young players.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Real tough schedule down the stretch here. Credit to them for going on this run to make the last part of the season meaningful. Games against Washington, Detroit and Islanders are going to be intense.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:17 am

Real tough schedule down the stretch here. Credit to them for going on this run to make the last part of the season meaningful. Games against Washington, Detroit and Islanders are going to be intense.
Washington has been hot, but, their goal differential is very odd...like, WSH and PHI are the only 2 teams in the playoffs today with a negative goal differential. WSH is actually 6th worst goal differential in the league. In fact, the Metro has the most negative goal differential teams out of every division in the league. Other than Rangers and Hurricanes, Pittsburgh is currently plus 1...everyone else is negative. Games aren't decided by goal differential, but, it's

We've split the series to date with TB, TOR, BOS, DET and NYI....and we lost in a SO to NSH. So, all of these games are winnable.
Out of the remaining schedule, I think on paper, they need to figure out how to come out of BOS, TB, TOR, and NSH games with a 2 wins, a tie, and a loss.
WSH, DET, and NYI...I think are the easier games that should be "easier" to win...on paper.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

thehockeyguru wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm Another season where Jarry is needed in April and he's sick or hurt. Dubas really needs to consider moving him this summer
Sign Neds, trade Jarry, and bring up Blomqvist for next season. Jarry's contract of $5.375 per that goes out to 27-28 isn't going to help. Plus, it's a Modified No Trade contract. Still scratching my head with that one.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm on board with trading Jarry in the summer, if they can. Also, Carter's $3.25 million should be replaced by someone younger and almost $2.5 million cheaper, and if they can offload Smith, his $5 million can pretty much be replaced by someone about $4 million cheaper with at least the same on-ice results. I'm hoping Graves can have some kind of rebound year that makes him tradeable, or at least servceable. I've enjoyed Ludvig and St. Ivany so far, and I think POJ has looked pretty good lately. That's three younger, affordable guys.

With the cap going up, and if they can pull off a couple of these money-saving moves, they should have a nice cap cushion if they want to supplement the roster or work some other trades. It's so much easier to do if you have some room to maneuver with the cap.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Gather your marbles. We will be playing for some tomorrow.

I saw Blomqvist in uniform and thought he could be a coach's son. I am too use to grizzled vets.

Isolate Ned.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 am
thehockeyguru wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm Another season where Jarry is needed in April and he's sick or hurt. Dubas really needs to consider moving him this summer
Sign Neds, trade Jarry, and bring up Blomqvist for next season. Jarry's contract of $5.375 per that goes out to 27-28 isn't going to help. Plus, it's a Modified No Trade contract. Still scratching my head with that one.
The thing is, Ned has played better than Jarry...but that also doesn't mean Ned has played outstanding. Since March 16th:

--Ned has played in 9 games, and started 7 of them.
--He is 5-0-2
--2.45 GAA (10th best over that time period for guys with at least 4 game played)
--.915 SV% (13th best over that time period)
--2.81 GSAA (10th best over that time period.

As a comparison, Logan Thompson of VGK is 6-0, 1.42 GAA and .952 SV% over that same time period. GSAA of 9.36
Gustavsson is 2-1 in 3 starts (1 relief appearance) with a 0.84 GAA and .968 SV%. GSAA 6.33

Ned has been the better of our goalies of late, but his numbers are slightly above average, compared to flat out elite levels that guys like Thompson and Gustavsson have pulled off the past 3 weeks.

That said, I am still of the belief that it is better in this age to have 2 solid goalies rather than a perceived starter and backup, and I would be fine if Jarry is dealt.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

5-0-2 is enough for me with defense he’s getting in front of him. Ride the hot hand!
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:48 pm
The thing is, Ned has played better than Jarry...but that also doesn't mean Ned has played outstanding. Since March 16th:

--He is 5-0-2
--2.45 GAA (10th best over that time period for guys with at least 4 game played)

As a comparison, Logan Thompson of VGK is 6-0, 1.42 GAA and .952 SV% over that same time period. GSAA of 9.36
Gustavsson is 2-1 in 3 starts (1 relief appearance) with a 0.84 GAA and .968 SV%. GSAA 6.33

Ned has been the better of our goalies of late, but his numbers are slightly above average, compared to flat out elite levels that guys like Thompson and Gustavsson have pulled off the past 3 weeks.

That said, I am still of the belief that it is better in this age to have 2 solid goalies rather than a perceived starter and backup, and I would be fine if Jarry is dealt.
Would be nice if we could see Blomqvist play a game or two this season before trading Jarry.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:54 pm

--He is 5-0-2

Would be nice if we could see Blomqvist play a game or two this season before trading Jarry.
Yes, please
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:13 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:54 pm

--He is 5-0-2

Yes, please
We can't because Sullivan doesn't like young guys. 8-)

In all seriousness, I would like to see him get in a game or two as well down the stretch, but, with the Penguins having battled back to within 3 points of a playoff spot, unless Jarry is out a longer period of time and/or Sullivan feels that Ned may be tiring, we aren't going to see Blomqvist. And, that is the right decision for now, based on their place in the standings.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Jarry may have suffered a bone bruise.

In other news, Sid was spotted last week leaving Home Depot with a new hammer.

:D
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

maopens wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:46 pm Jarry may have suffered a bone bruise.

In other news, Sid was spotted last week leaving Home Depot with a new hammer.

:wink: :wink:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

maopens wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:46 pm Jarry may have suffered a bone bruise.
Ah, the old bone bruise virus. (Not a doctor.)
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Who says no to this deal:

To EDM: Tristan Jarry
To CBJ: EDM 2025 3rd, C-level prospect, Jack Campbell (50% retained by EDM)
To PIT: Ryan McLeod, EDM 2026 2nd round pick, Jack Campbell (75% retained, 50% by EDM, 25% by CBJ)

Jarry goes to Edmonton. He's from BC outside of Vancouver, but played Juniors in Edmonton for the Oil Kings. Plus, they have McDavid+ and are considered contenders. I'd think he'd easily waive to go there.

Jack Campbell has 3 more years at 5M AAV left on his deal. Edmonton currently has a 3.85M cap hit on their NHL roster while he is buried. They actually gain 1.3M in cap space from Campbell when making this trade.

Penguins get a young 3C who may have 2C potential in McLeod, plus a future pick. Even if we just got Jarry for McLeod straight up (with Campbell) I'd still do the trade.
Edmonton gets out of some of Campbell's deal, and more importantly, gets a goalie better than anything they've had recently.
Columbus gets some draft and prospect compensation for retaining salary.

I came up with this after a discussion on Twitter...because there aren't too many viable landing spots for Jarry this summer, when you really take a look around the league. DET, OTT & LA. Outside of that, most other teams would need to move a goalie and salary out to even consider it.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:03 pm Who says no to this deal:

To EDM: Tristan Jarry
To CBJ: EDM 2025 3rd, C-level prospect, Jack Campbell (50% retained by EDM)
To PIT: Ryan McLeod, EDM 2026 2nd round pick, Jack Campbell (75% retained, 50% by EDM, 25% by CBJ)

Jarry goes to Edmonton. He's from BC outside of Vancouver, but played Juniors in Edmonton for the Oil Kings. Plus, they have McDavid+ and are considered contenders. I'd think he'd easily waive to go there.

Jack Campbell has 3 more years at 5M AAV left on his deal. Edmonton currently has a 3.85M cap hit on their NHL roster while he is buried. They actually gain 1.3M in cap space from Campbell when making this trade.

Penguins get a young 3C who may have 2C potential in McLeod, plus a future pick. Even if we just got Jarry for McLeod straight up (with Campbell) I'd still do the trade.
Edmonton gets out of some of Campbell's deal, and more importantly, gets a goalie better than anything they've had recently.
Columbus gets some draft and prospect compensation for retaining salary.

I came up with this after a discussion on Twitter...because there aren't too many viable landing spots for Jarry this summer, when you really take a look around the league. DET, OTT & LA. Outside of that, most other teams would need to move a goalie and salary out to even consider it.
Honestly the only negative are the question marks for the goalie position. Not that sold on Jack Campbell moving forward so he'd be more of a hope to trade later player so I'll ignore him with the questions.

I really like Alex Nedeljkovic so question 1 is obvious. Can you sign him for a few years at a reasonable rate?
I'd like to see what Joel Blomqvist can show for the rest of the season. I think he's a legit prospect and the future at the position, but when will that happen?

I don't think those are unreasonable questions and pretty easy to answer, I think they sign Nedeljkovic and Blomqvist is ready. The flip side could be losing Nedeljkovic and Blomqvist not being ready for the NHL and you go into next season with Campbell and an unknown backup.

Either way it's an awesome trade idea since the goalie questions would work themselves out likely before the trade is made.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room today Vs a few days before the trade deadline.

Would it be a relaxed room or one with trashcans being kicked around and F bombs dropped every other word?