Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Random stats:

Jarry's last regulation win is 14 March.
Ned's last regulation loss is 9 March.

We are 6-2-2 in our last 10. Jarry's starts figure for 0-2-0.

Jarry .920 // Ned .930 (on a good night)
Jarry .800 // Ned .840 (on a bad night)

Hate to say it, but our 1.5M x 1 backup is better than our 5.375M x 5 NTC starter. I figured at the start of the season it would be close, with Jarry better, but he ain't and hasn't been for a while, wouldn't have extended Jarry if he wanted the same AAV as before. Instead the dude got a pretty little raise and a NTC. :face:

Probably need to figure out how to trade Jarry and keep Ned as our starter. I imagine he's going to expect a bump in his salary for taking over as starter.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm
Pitts wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:30 pm
pens_CT wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:26 pm
Antonio wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:18 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:41 am [

Saw a post that Penguins, Avs, Wild, and Sharks were 4 of the 6 final teams for Colin Graf. He chose the Sharks due to the opportunity he'd have to play right away. (I see ONE East team in that list, LOL)
It's funny because if this team was honest about it's state in the short and medium term and if he is an actual quality prospect, he should have been playing immediately here also. We all know however, that it would border on impossible without one major change.
Do you really want to take a guy directly from college hockey and gift him a spot on the NHL roster? I'd rather they just play Poulin instead of him eating nachos in the press box.
To be honest, his play is supposed to be more than NHL ready right now, so, yes? He should at least get the 10 game minimum most others get.
A guy who was passed over twice in the draft, and now he's NHL ready at 22? Again from the Pens perspective, I'd rather see Poulin in the line-up than some college kid. Maybe Graf turns into something, but the hit rate on un-drafted college free agents is pretty low,
There's usually reasons why kids don't get drafted. Could be undersized, could be a skill deficiency, could be poor level of competition. Without looking at an actual scouting report, my first assumption on why is his schooling. In his draft year, he wasn't at Quinnipiac; he was at Union College and his numbers there weren't great. I also think while Quinnipiac has been in the top 15 teams the last 5-10 years, they aren't seen as a college powerhouse like a Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota, BC or BU.

If scouts were correct on Graf, he likely wouldn't have increased his scoring rate (22 total points in his year 18 playing year) by going to a better team. This is kind of like free development for teams. He's probably not going to play in the NHL in 3-4 years being drafted in rounds 4-7, so let him continue to play in NCAA instead of going to AHL and taking a roster spot. Now that he's grown his game, a team signs him and gives him a shot. I see nothing wrong with this as a potential avenue for development and acquisition of talent.

But you are correct that, for every ZAR and DOC their is an Ethan Prow, Filip Lindberg, and whoever else who has come and gone recently from our team via the college UFA route.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Seemed fairly obvious to a lot of people that the jarry signing was a mistake at the time. Keep coming back to it but it's amazing how often the "experts" who literally make millions to do this for a living regularly don't know a damn thing more than fans who watch the game and follow the teams religiously. I mean, Jarry was a huge DO NOT RESIGN for me and many many others at the price and term, but here we are. Now, if they could move him and actually get a good return, which I think is actually possible ironically, then signing him to that deal actually becomes a huge win but I highly doubt it will happen, so here we are. Plus as I have said before, I really think money on goaltending is highly over valued for the most part for the impact it brings in most cases.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:17 pm Random stats:

Jarry's last regulation win is 14 March.
Ned's last regulation loss is 9 March.

We are 6-2-2 in our last 10. Jarry's starts figure for 0-2-0.

Jarry .920 // Ned .930 (on a good night)
Jarry .800 // Ned .840 (on a bad night)

Hate to say it, but our 1.5M x 1 backup is better than our 5.375M x 5 NTC starter. I figured at the start of the season it would be close, with Jarry better, but he ain't and hasn't been for a while, wouldn't have extended Jarry if he wanted the same AAV as before. Instead the dude got a pretty little raise and a NTC. :face:

Probably need to figure out how to trade Jarry and keep Ned as our starter. I imagine he's going to expect a bump in his salary for taking over as starter.
There should be a market for Jarry. Not a great one, but a few teams. The UFA goalie market this season is predominantly backups. Trade market. Definitely see Calgary and Boston moving on from Markstrom and Ullmark. Devils, Detroit, Kings, Ottawa maybe Edmonton, maybe Toronto. should be looking for a starting goalie.

Wouldn't expect a tremendous return for Jarry, but the cap savings would be the main win.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

On the one hand, I'd say some folks are literally idiotic for looking at such a small sample size and claiming Ned is better or a solid bonified starter in this league. On the other hand, I'm also of the opinion that the goalie position isn't terribly important, or at least to the point you pay 7M+ for one.

I'd personally just go with the cheaper option, but you can also bank on Ned getting a big pay raise next season...He won't get to Jarry's number but his current salary is likely to double at least (but still affordable).
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Big... no HUGE game tonight between Caps and Canes.

Lets Go Jake!!!

.... and Rangers while we are at!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:01 pm On the one hand, I'd say some folks are literally idiotic for looking at such a small sample size and claiming Ned is better or a solid bonified starter in this league. On the other hand, I'm also of the opinion that the goalie position isn't terribly important, or at least to the point you pay 7M+ for one.

I'd personally just go with the cheaper option, but you can also bank on Ned getting a big pay raise next season...He won't get to Jarry's number but his current salary is likely to double at least (but still affordable).
I think Ned's style makes for a better fit for the team. If Ned's up for a 2-3 year deal with a manageable bump up, Jarry is traded and we add a cheap backup (something like Helberg, though not necessarily him personally), start giving Blomqvist some looks... I think we're fine.

Cap savings would be the main point of it. I really hate what we paid for Jarry. :scared:
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:06 pm Big... no HUGE game tonight between Caps and Canes.

Lets Go Jake!!!

According to all the experts on here the Pens are 100% NOT making the playoffs. So what are you all excited for?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:47 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:01 pm On the one hand, I'd say some folks are literally idiotic for looking at such a small sample size and claiming Ned is better or a solid bonified starter in this league. On the other hand, I'm also of the opinion that the goalie position isn't terribly important, or at least to the point you pay 7M+ for one.

I think Ned's style makes for a better fit for the team. If Ned's up for a 2-3 year deal with a manageable bump up, Jarry is traded and we add a cheap backup (something like Helberg, though not necessarily him personally), start giving Blomqvist some looks... I think we're fine.

Cap savings would be the main point of it. I really hate what we paid for Jarry. :scared:
I wouldn't count on Ned being a 60 game starter, but Ned getting 50 starts and Blomqvist getting 32 starts wouldn't be a bad thing. And, it's more for the same reasons...I'd rather pay Ned and Blomqvist 4M combined than pay Jarry 5M+, and need more cap space for a backup. The league has widely switched to a tandem goalie league, with exceptions for those thought to be the higher end goalies (Shesterkin, Sorokin, Vasilevskiy, Oettinger...Gustavsson will probably be the guy next year).

Goalie is so hit or miss, just get two average to slightly above average guys, and a solid 3rd guy in the minors, and ride the hot hand.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:06 pm Big... no HUGE game tonight between Caps and Canes.

Lets Go Jake!!!

According to Draftkings, the Canes have won each of their last 7 games at PNC Arena following a loss. Has me thinking.... two things actually:
1, I am never going to beat the house if DraftKings is keeping stats this deep
2, Canes are going to beat the Caps tonight!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Anyone else concerned that they are riding Ned hard just to keep the playoff dream alive, and because of that, he is going to be burned out if they do make it to the playoffs? Jarry would then be expected to get hot immediately upon his return.

Ready for the 'In Jarry We Trust' chants?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

After a mention by NHL Edge stats, I found the area that Nedeljkovic is crushing the NHL goalie competition...Medium Danger SV%.
Medium Danger Shots account for 28% of total shots against for Ned. For goalies with at least 1000 minutes played total (roughly 20 games played, 67 goalies counted):
--at 5v5 play, Ned has a .944 MDSV%, 1st in the NHL. Laurent Brossoit is 2nd with a .930 MDSV% at 5v5
--at ALL Stengths, Ned has a .935 MDSV%, 1st in the NHL. 2nd place is a distance .910 MDSV% (Anthony Stolarz)

Where the Penguins as a team fail horribly in goaltending is high danger save percentage:
--at 5v5, out of 67 goalies with 1000 minutes, Jarry ranks 63rd with a .777 HDSV% and Ned ranks 65th with a .766 HDSV%

This is a big indicator that the teams net front defense is a huge problem, and Sullivan needs to drop the d-man fronting and return to classic crease clearing. At least, he needs to make an attempt at it.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Canes just finished off the Caps with a Jake ENG and he had another one earlier to help the Pens' cause.
Sabres beat the Flyers 4-2.
Rangers up 4-3 over the Wings with a little over 2mins left.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

brwi wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:42 pm Canes just finished off the Caps with a Jake ENG and he had another one earlier to help the Pens' cause.
Sabres beat the Flyers 4-2.
Rangers up 4-3 over the Wings with a little over 2mins left.
This is insane.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Up to 28.7% chance of making playoffs.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

penscup wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:27 pm

Lets Go Jake!!!

According to all the experts on here the Pens are 100% NOT making the playoffs. So what are you all excited for?
Well it was highly unlikely even 3-4 games ago.. but then the Flyers, Caps stopped playing LOL.. pilled up 5-6 losses in a row
Last edited by Pens4Life on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ned starting again today.
Ludvig still out.
Harkins to WBS on a conditioning assignment.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Play in du jour- juju!
Let's go pens!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:08 am Ned starting again today.
Ludvig still out.
Perfect :thumb:

Let's roll!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:17 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:08 am Ned starting again today.
Ludvig still out.
Perfect :thumb:

Let's roll!
No good reason for it, but I have hope!

Let's go Pens!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

"In Toronto, totality is not going to happen,” Bibas said. “We are in 99 per cent coverage...so the highest amount of coverage we will see will also happen at 3:19 p.m.”
Somebody better be in charge of passing out solar glasses to all penguins. 8-) 8-)

Jealous of TO, Pittsburgh will only have 97% coverage.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

penny lane wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:04 am "In Toronto, totality is not going to happen,” Bibas said. “We are in 99 per cent coverage...so the highest amount of coverage we will see will also happen at 3:19 p.m.”
Somebody better be in charge of passing out solar glasses to all penguins. 8-) 8-)

Jealous of TO, Pittsburgh will only have 97% coverage.
But 99% cloud coverage I'm sure.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

BigMcK wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:13 pm Anyone else concerned that they are riding Ned hard just to keep the playoff dream alive, and because of that, he is going to be burned out if they do make it to the playoffs? Jarry would then be expected to get hot immediately upon his return.

Probably need to start Jarry soon. Maybe even tonight. Ned has been playing a lot of intense games lately. Don't want to see him sputter out and lose his confidence. Jarry should get in for a game or 2 over the last 5.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:14 am
BigMcK wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:13 pm Anyone else concerned that they are riding Ned hard just to keep the playoff dream alive, and because of that, he is going to be burned out if they do make it to the playoffs? Jarry would then be expected to get hot immediately upon his return.

Probably need to start Jarry soon. Maybe even tonight. Ned has been playing a lot of intense games lately. Don't want to see him sputter out and lose his confidence. Jarry should get in for a game or 2 over the last 5.
While I agree about the overall sentiment, I'm weary of changing anything at all if and until the team loses. Ned has to keep seeing the net until he gives the team any indication of needing a night off. I have a hard time messing with the heater they're riding on right now.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:25 am
KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:14 am

While I agree about the overall sentiment, I'm weary of changing anything at all if and until the team loses. Ned has to keep seeing the net until he gives the team any indication of needing a night off. I have a hard time messing with the heater they're riding on right now.
I'd start Jarry tonight. You can't let him get too cold, seeing that he is used to a starter's workload. You also need him ready if Ned does reach the point of burnout or injury. Leave Ned for Detroit and Islander games. Give Jarry a shot tonight.