Matt Canada Fired!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Matt Canada Fired!!

Post by maopens »

Word is that Art II stepped up and made the decision.

In other news, Todd Reirdan is developing the shakes every time the phone rings.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Matt Canada Fired!!

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Tomlin took too long. It could cost him his job. In a regular world, it would have already.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 am Tomlin took too long. It could cost him his job. In a regular world, it would have already.
Shero lost his job because he didn't let Bylsma go. I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin is in a very hot seat.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Tico Rick wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:27 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 am Tomlin took too long. It could cost him his job. In a regular world, it would have already.
Shero lost his job because he didn't let Bylsma go. I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin is in a very hot seat.
I don't think so. I view it like this with Canada. His first year was Ben's last and he couldn't call his offense because of Ben's limitations. Last season was Kenny's first and again he had to limit the offense. This season this offense should have been a top 10 offense and I think Tomlin simply didn't want to fire a coach midseason (the Steelers haven't since WWII so not surprised).

I think the players forced this situation since every week we see someone doing something on the sidelines or saying something to the media (Pickens, Johnson, Harris, Okorafor, and who knows who else).
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Whether you believe it or not, Tomlin said at his presser that it was his decision to give Canada the boot.

BTW, new drinking game: Take a shot every time Tomlin says "Man" or "Obviously".
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:57 pm Whether you believe it or not, Tomlin said at his presser that it was his decision to give Canada the boot.

BTW, new drinking game: Take a shot every time Tomlin says "Man" or "Obviously".
I think it was his decision and I'm sure Rooney was involved. I think the players forced it, specifically Harris' comments. Harris seems like a pretty chill dude so when he's like "I'm tired of this" it weighed a lot compared to the other players.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I love this:

The Wizard of Boz!!! He knows.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

At least Sullivan had NFL OC experience. It might not be good experience but it’s still experience.

I am a lot less enthusiastic with Faulkner. This is his first NFL job and he has limited OC role at Ball State 14 years ago.

But I’ll stand by the fact anyone will be better than Canada but we need to look for someone this spring for sure.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:17 pm At least Sullivan had NFL OC experience. It might not be good experience but it’s still experience.

I am a lot less enthusiastic with Faulkner. This is his first NFL job and he has limited OC role at Ball State 14 years ago.

But I’ll stand by the fact anyone will be better than Canada but we need to look for someone this spring for sure.
I think Canada lost the room for reasons other than OC ineptitude and I have a feeling Faulkner might be more of a calming presence. Let Sullivan work on the game plan, work with Pickett, and let Faulkner be in charge.

Either way, I think neither are going to be on the team next season.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hopefully Sullivan will know what his QB’s can actually execute and not have them run plays that don’t work and Faulkner realizes running the same scripted garbage every game makes the offense easy to stop.

Even if they just stop doing what everyone could see wasn’t working will be a welcome change. Hopefully the players respect the two of them and they weren’t part of the problem but it does really seem like Canada took all the credit for any success and no blame when things didn’t work. That Boswell clip is crazy, you have a kicker calling out your OC making him look like a little ****.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:48 pm Hopefully Sullivan will know what his QB’s can actually execute and not have them run plays that don’t work and Faulkner realizes running the same scripted garbage every game makes the offense easy to stop.

Even if they just stop doing what everyone could see wasn’t working will be a welcome change. Hopefully the players respect the two of them and they weren’t part of the problem but it does really seem like Canada took all the credit for any success and no blame when things didn’t work. That Boswell clip is crazy, you have a kicker calling out your OC making him look like a little ****.
Even with Picketts struggles, this offense has enough talent to be top 15 easily if Pickett plays to his talent. They have two possession receivers, two deep threats, 2 really good TE, 2 really good RB, whatever Heyward is, pretty decent OL (rather Jones at LT and Chukky at RT but whatever).

Where is the weakness on offense if Kenny is playing well? Maybe LT, maybe C, but where else?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I think you are being generous in the rating of the RB and TE positions. And the OL has been horrid.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:10 am I think you are being generous in the rating of the RB and TE positions. And the OL has been horrid.
Why? The 2 RBs and 2 TEs have a ton of talent, just because the game plan doesn't involve a TE and the running game is predictable doesn't change the skill level. Adding Broderick Jones to RT made the OL pretty decent but the biggest problem is the other team knowing whether it's a run or a pass depending on the personnel. it's hard for the OL to look good when the other team knows what the plays are going to be, but the unit is talented (though I think Moore and Cole need to be upgraded during the offseason).

The offensive problems are almost 100% on Canada and his schemes/playcalling. I think Pickett is a big problem but I think he'll be better with a good OC.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I agree that Muth is a quality TE and it certainly not his fault that the TE hasn't been involved in the play calling, but we have no idea what Washington is yet. Definitely a physical specimen, but he's a rookie with 4 receptions. And Najee hasn't lived up to his first round selection. He's a huge disappointment. Why you pick a RB in the first round in this day and age is beyond me. Warren should be getting the majority of the carries based on performance. I agree about Jones at RT, but Dan Moore? That guy has been horrible. The line play in general have been sub standard, IMHO. But yeah, the play calling may have something to do with it as well. Coaching could be a component of that too.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:23 am I agree that Muth is a quality TE and it certainly not his fault that the TE hasn't been involved in the play calling, but we have no idea what Washington is yet. Definitely a physical specimen, but he's a rookie with 4 receptions. And Najee hasn't lived up to his first round selection. He's a huge disappointment. Why you pick a RB in the first round in this day and age is beyond me. Warren should be getting the majority of the carries based on performance. I agree about Jones at RT, but Dan Moore? That guy has been horrible. The line play in general have been sub standard, IMHO. But yeah, the play calling may have something to do with it as well. Coaching could be a component of that too.
I think right now Washington is more of the blocking TE but I think he's good now but will be great later. That's more of a feeling than a legit evaluation 10 games into his career.

I agree with you on Harris, but he's a really good talent with a predictable offense. I think if Warren and Harris switched Warren would be cut by now (Warren in equals run, Harris in equals anything). I think Harris is like Pickett, they've only known one OC that had no reason being an NFL OC.

I thought Moore would have gotten better, but he is pretty bad. I hope he can do better at RT because that'll save a top pick at the position. Cole hasn't been great but the OL is getting better with Jones at RT.

Not to take blame away from the players at all, but the talent is there and this offense should be a top 15 offense in the league, even with Pickett. If Pickett can show he's a 1st round caliber QB then I think top 10. Unless a top QB falls to the Steelers in the 1st round, I'd be willing to give Pickett a season with a proper OC but it's hard to rank a player when the coaching is this awful.