It's Pool Party Time

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: It's Pool Party Time

Post by DelPen »

He scored already tonight, that’s two in 2 games now.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 pm He scored already tonight, that’s two in 2 games now.
He then had the primary assist on Ty Smith's goal on a nice cross ice feed. He's heating up, and I like that his first goal was a Sutter/Kessel move...bursting down the right wing and firing a shot on net. That's a common goal for Puljujarvi, and shows that the legs (hips) are working ok right now.

I also like that the other 90% of his goals come from the faceoff dots and in. He is a net front, high danger area guy all the way. Not in the same mold as Hornqvist...more like a Tocchet...always in close around the net to get those rebounds.

I think they likely want to see him play in a 6-12 games in WBS, then see how he responds. From what I understand, swelling in the hip area after having the resurfacing has been the biggest setback for others in the past. So he could look good for a series of games, and then the pain and inflammation set in.

Time will tell, but I'm hoping we sign him and give him a shot.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:11 pm
DelPen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:33 pm He scored already tonight, that’s two in 2 games now.
He then had the primary assist on Ty Smith's goal on a nice cross ice feed. He's heating up, and I like that his first goal was a Sutter/Kessel move...bursting down the right wing and firing a shot on net. That's a common goal for Puljujarvi, and shows that the legs (hips) are working ok right now.

I also like that the other 90% of his goals come from the faceoff dots and in. He is a net front, high danger area guy all the way. Not in the same mold as Hornqvist...more like a Tocchet...always in close around the net to get those rebounds.

I think they likely want to see him play in a 6-12 games in WBS, then see how he responds. From what I understand, swelling in the hip area after having the resurfacing has been the biggest setback for others in the past. So he could look good for a series of games, and then the pain and inflammation set in.

So if they do sign him and call him up does he receive the typical Sullivan disdain for a WBS player and the obligatory seven minutes of ice time that goes along with such a promotion from the AHL ??
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sign the man. League minimum. No brainer. Might want to consider a multi year cheap deal. Can always bury the contract .
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:53 pm

So if they do sign him and call him up does he receive the typical Sullivan disdain for a WBS player and the obligatory seven minutes of ice time that goes along with such a promotion from the AHL ??
Sure looks like in video that he is having a lot of fun playing hockey. That goes away when he sits and gets Puustinen minutes. Nice snipe on a toe drag by Ty Smith last night!
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:53 pm

Honestly if he had a hip injury, Sullivan might think he's old and play him more. :fist:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The biggest issue to signing Puljujarvi and calling him up is he is RW only. Puustinen is also RW only. Even though he is listed as both, I believe he has spent 95% of his games on the RW. They may be able to try Puusty on LW a bit, but they also may have to live with not playing Puusty and Puljujarvi in the same lineup.

I would think Sullivan would like a big guy who doesn't fight and has good defensive and play driving metrics.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Maybe the hip surgery revives his career because he didn't look like an NHL player last year in Carolina in 17 games where he had 0g-2a with 12min TOI, and then got to watch most of the playoffs in the press box.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:18 am The biggest issue to signing Puljujarvi and calling him up is he is RW only. Puustinen is also RW only. Even though he is listed as both, I believe he has spent 95% of his games on the RW. They may be able to try Puusty on LW a bit, but they also may have to live with not playing Puusty and Puljujarvi in the same lineup.

I would think Sullivan would like a big guy who doesn't fight and has good defensive and play driving metrics.
I think why not have Puustinen with Malkin and Smith, Rakell with Eller and Puljujarvi and try to get 3 legit scoring lines?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

brwi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:53 pm Maybe the hip surgery revives his career because he didn't look like an NHL player last year in Carolina in 17 games where he had 0g-2a with 12min TOI, and then got to watch most of the playoffs in the press box.
My guess would be that his hips were probably done at that point, but I didn't see much of his games to see exactly how he looked. But in the 2 seasons before Edmonton moved him, he had 29 goals and 61 points in 120 games.

That works out to 19 goals, 40 points over an 18 game season. Maybe not great for a 4th overall pick, but not horrible for another team that has no draft capital and development invested in him. He also came from Europe, and it wasn't like he was some unreal scorer in Liiga. His stock likely got artificially raised by having a very good international season during his draft year, at World Juniors/World Championships, having roughly 48 points in 27 games on the U18 and U20 international scene.

I'm interested to see how he recovers, as just about anybody that has had the surgery has been over 30, and it hasn't gone well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:00 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:18 am The biggest issue to signing Puljujarvi and calling him up is he is RW only. Puustinen is also RW only. Even though he is listed as both, I believe he has spent 95% of his games on the RW. They may be able to try Puusty on LW a bit, but they also may have to live with not playing Puusty and Puljujarvi in the same lineup.

I think why not have Puustinen with Malkin and Smith, Rakell with Eller and Puljujarvi and try to get 3 legit scoring lines?
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Smith-Malkin-Puustinen
DOC-Poulin-Puljujarvi
Harkins-Eller-Acciari

Looks appealing to me...insert one of our other 8 4th liners for Harkins if you so desire.
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

Where line will Rakell play on?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Toke wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:48 pm Where line will Rakell play on?
Rakell line nacho box eating?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Rakell can play LW just as well as RW so it's not an issue.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Another goal for Pulujarvi. Might be time to sign him and bring him up.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:00 pm

Mike Sullivan says no. Too risky. Must have C. White in top 6. Carter must play double the minutes of Puusti and Puljujarvi [yes I copied and pasted that] combined.
Thus it hath been spoken, thus it hath become law.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »