The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

Monday, December 11th...6 points out of the 2nd Wild Card spot.

Detroit 26gp, 32 points
Washington 25gp..31 points
===========================
Tampa 29gp, 31 points
New Jersey 26gp, 29 points
Carolina 26gp, 29 points
Montreal 28gp, 27 points
Buffalo 29gp, 27 points
Pittsburgh 26gp, 25 points
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Points Out of Playoffs Spot tracker

Post by Badger Bob »

Cellar Tracker - Tuesday December 12:

2 points from the cellar of the Metro and 3 points away from the bottom of the Eastern Conference:

Columbus, 30gp, 23 points
Ottawa, 22gp, 22 points

22 games played for the Sens? WTF is that? I guess it has something to do with them going to Sweden.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:45 am Cellar Tracker - Tuesday December 12:

2 points from the cellar of the Metro and 3 points away from the bottom of the Eastern Conference:

Columbus, 30gp, 23 points
Ottawa, 22gp, 22 points

22 games played for the Sens? WTF is that? I guess it has something to do with them going to Sweden.
Maybe this thread should be called the lottery pick tracker? Do they take this years pick if it's a lottery pick?
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

I can only hear Jim Mora ranting when I see this thread. I mean, even if we do make it to the playoffs, what would be do? Be eliminated in 4 or 5 games. First step is admitting you have a problem. It’s name is Mike Sullivan. Until that is addressed what’s the point?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:14 am I can only hear Jim Mora ranting when I see this thread. I mean, even if we do make it to the playoffs, what would be do? Be eliminated in 4 or 5 games. First step is admitting you have a problem. It’s name is Mike Sullivan. Until that is addressed what’s the point?
Knowing this team, we'd be eliminated in 3.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:32 am
Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:14 am I can only hear Jim Mora ranting when I see this thread. I mean, even if we do make it to the playoffs, what would be do? Be eliminated in 4 or 5 games. First step is admitting you have a problem. It’s name is Mike Sullivan. Until that is addressed what’s the point?
Knowing this team, we'd be eliminated in 3.
I'm sure this team could manage to get to a second round of the Kelly Cup. We'd lose to Toledo or Ft Wayne though.

:scared:
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I think the Pens win tonight, only because this is the third game in four nights for the Coyotes. But going forward Montreal always give them a tough time and the MLs are looking for payback. Still doesn’t look promising.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

I wonder how many times the Pens have had less points than the Yotes at this point in the season?
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

What do the next couple draft classes look like? I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens end up with a relatively high 1st-rounder in 2024 and 2025, and I'm just wondering if we should feel better about one year or the other going to San Jose.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:41 am What do the next couple draft classes look like? I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens end up with a relatively high 1st-rounder in 2024 and 2025, and I'm just wondering if we should feel better about one year or the other going to San Jose.
I think if they get a top 10 pick this year, they'll keep it and give SJ the 2025 pick. Too much of a gamble to give away a lottery pick and "hope" you finish poorly again the following year to get another top 10 pick, irregardless of the strength of the draft.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:21 am
largegarlic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:41 am What do the next couple draft classes look like? I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens end up with a relatively high 1st-rounder in 2024 and 2025, and I'm just wondering if we should feel better about one year or the other going to San Jose.
I think if they get a top 10 pick this year, they'll keep it and give SJ the 2025 pick. Too much of a gamble to give away a lottery pick and "hope" you finish poorly again the following year to get another top 10 pick, irregardless of the strength of the draft.
Yeah, that absolutely what the team should do. I was just wondering as a fan if I should be hoping for the team to be worse this year or next year given that we'll only get one of those picks. Obviously, it'd be nice if we were drafting at the end of the 1st round, but that seems unlikely as things are going.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:36 pm
Yeah, that absolutely what the team should do. I was just wondering as a fan if I should be hoping for the team to be worse this year or next year given that we'll only get one of those picks. Obviously, it'd be nice if we were drafting at the end of the 1st round, but that seems unlikely as things are going.
If the Penguins get a top 5 pick and an NHL ready forward, will Sullivan play him and put him in a position to succeed? Honestly I think the answer is no.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:01 pm
largegarlic wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:36 pm
If the Penguins get a top 5 pick and an NHL ready forward, will Sullivan play him and put him in a position to succeed? Honestly I think the answer is no.
Only if he plays defense and looks like the guy on the far right: Image
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Even with wins Tuesday and Wednesday, Penguins are still 5 points out of WC1 spot. Detroit holds that spot, and is even in games played with Pittsburgh.
The Penguins are 2 points out of WC2 spot, held by Washington. The Capitals have 3 games in hand on the Penguins though, playing only 25 games to the Penguins 28.

WSH, NJ, TB, and CAR all have 31 points. NJ also still has a game in hand on PIT. Every team above PIT except Tampa won their last game, and WSH has won their last 2 in a row.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Two wins down. Just 31 more wins and 5 loser points to go. Easy! :fist:
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

If you were betting men, based purely on the numbers now, do the Pens make the playoffs?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

dark_forces wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:43 pm If you were betting men, based purely on the numbers now, do the Pens make the playoffs?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Penguins remain 5 points out of WC2 spot, and 6 points out of WC1 spot.

Penguins have played 30 games, have 31 points.
Washington has played 29 games, have 36 points, WC2 spot.
Carolina has played 32 games, have 37 points, WC1 spot.

Over the last 10 games, Washington has picked up 12 points, Penguins 11, and Carolina 10. This is why it is difficult to dig out of even a 5-7 point hole in this league. Not only do you need to

Over 3 10 game segments, the Penguins have gone:
--4-6 (8 of possible 20 points)
--6-4 (12 of possible 20 points)
--4-3-3 (11 of possible 20 points)

Penguins are currently 12th from the bottom of the league. Kind of the worst position possible, as they are not in line for a top 10 lottery pick and also not sitting in a spot to make the playoffs.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens have against the east 2-5-2, 6 of possible 18 points

The east is still tougher than the west on average. I don't think we'll make it unless we go on a crazy run all of a sudden
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:22 am Penguins remain 5 points out of WC2 spot, and 6 points out of WC1 spot.

Penguins have played 30 games, have 31 points.
Washington has played 29 games, have 36 points, WC2 spot.
Carolina has played 32 games, have 37 points, WC1 spot.

Over the last 10 games, Washington has picked up 12 points, Penguins 11, and Carolina 10. This is why it is difficult to dig out of even a 5-7 point hole in this league. Not only do you need to

Over 3 10 game segments, the Penguins have gone:
--4-6 (8 of possible 20 points)
--6-4 (12 of possible 20 points)
--4-3-3 (11 of possible 20 points)

Penguins are currently 12th from the bottom of the league. Kind of the worst position possible, as they are not in line for a top 10 lottery pick and also not sitting in a spot to make the playoffs.
The biggest problem is the 3 point games. Hard to come back from down 5-7 points when teams play tight the final 10 minutes of games knowing each team getting 1 and a possible 2.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

A bit early for must wins but man if they lose tonight and have a poor showing it will tell us a lot about this teams trajectory
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

How the hell is Washington winning games? They're getting zero production from guys like OV, Kuznetsov, Oshie. Their highest point-scorer has 19 points (Strome). I guess Lindgren's been okay in the net, but it's not like their goaltending is world-beating either. Really perplexing how they are pulling out wins. And even worse, seemingly always giving up a loser point to a Metro team in the process.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:43 am How the hell is Washington winning games? They're getting zero production from guys like OV, Kuznetsov, Oshie. Their highest point-scorer has 19 points (Strome). I guess Lindgren's been okay in the net, but it's not like their goaltending is world-beating either. Really perplexing how they are pulling out wins. And even worse, seemingly always giving up a loser point to a Metro team in the process.
Kind of weird for sure. They have the fewest amount of goals scored in the Eastern Conference (73 goals scored, PIT and MTL are 2nd lowest tied at 87 goals scored). Looking through their games, most of their losses they've scored only 0 or 1 goal. They have 9 games lost where they scored 0 or 1 goal.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:02 am A bit early for must wins but man if they lose tonight and have a poor showing it will tell us a lot about this teams trajectory
Not sure its early at all. If in a month or so, we haven't made any ground in the Metro, we're sunk.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Mathematically we were already sunk over a month ago, when we were at like a historical 14 percent chance of making the playoffs or so. Come onnnnnn Sid... 600 1000 1600. All I care about at this point. Otherwise, until they get rid of King Moron behind the bench, I want them to lose every night. Anything else prolongs the inevitable.