The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Celebrating for Celebrini: Points/Magic # Thread

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Admin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:59 am I can't believe we are still talking about the playoffs. LGP!
Are we though?

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but man.... I think that ship sailed, fought in three wars, came back and was scuttled.

If we're going, cool, let's ride!

Goal: "Don't get swept"
Stretch goal 1: "make it a close series"
Stretch goal 2: "get to the second round"

But man, I don't see us even qualifying
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Yeah they aren't making the playoffs, but the worst part is that honestly, as terrible as they've been this year... if they had just found a way to not collapse with a lead just a couple of times, or mounted a semi decent approximation of an NHL quality power play just a few critical times, etc etc, they'd actually be right in the playoff mix. They didn't even need to be good this year or anything close... they needed to just be a smidge less horrible all the time and especially at just a few key moments. Winning 3 of 5 (and throwing away the other 2 that should have been wins) makes it appear interesting for a moment at this juncture, but it ain't happening. All it's going to do is complicate the whole draft position.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Antonio wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:26 pm Yeah they aren't making the playoffs, but the worst part is that honestly, as terrible as they've been this year... if they had just found a way to not collapse with a lead just a couple of times, or mounted a semi decent approximation of an NHL quality power play just a few critical times, etc etc, they'd actually be right in the playoff mix. They didn't even need to be good this year or anything close... they needed to just be a smidge less horrible all the time and especially at just a few key moments. Winning 3 of 5 (and throwing away the other 2 that should have been wins) makes it appear interesting for a moment at this juncture, but it ain't happening. All it's going to do is complicate the whole draft position.
Lots of IFs, but that would've secured ME2 which pisses me off to no end. Then again, probably crap the bed in round one and lose Jake for literally nothing. No Bunting, no prospects.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I feel like they'd almost need to run the table to make the playoffs at this point, and this team has just shown no ability to put together a win streak like that. But they're also playing themselves out of a top-10 pick. I guess my hope is that even if they can't make the playoffs, they win as much as possible to make SJ's pick worse. It's going to really suck if they end up 11th.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:50 pm I feel like they'd almost need to run the table to make the playoffs at this point, and this team has just shown no ability to put together a win streak like that. But they're also playing themselves out of a top-10 pick. I guess my hope is that even if they can't make the playoffs, they win as much as possible to make SJ's pick worse. It's going to really suck if they end up 11th.
Eh, I think all this hand-wringing over winning/losing, 10 top/top 11 pick, playoffs/no playoffs is a bit silly at this point of the season. Let the team play out the string, let the chips fall where they may. Re-load in the off season and have at it again next season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:22 pm
largegarlic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:50 pm I feel like they'd almost need to run the table to make the playoffs at this point, and this team has just shown no ability to put together a win streak like that. But they're also playing themselves out of a top-10 pick. I guess my hope is that even if they can't make the playoffs, they win as much as possible to make SJ's pick worse. It's going to really suck if they end up 11th.
Eh, I think all this hand-wringing over winning/losing, 10 top/top 11 pick, playoffs/no playoffs is a bit silly at this point of the season. Let the team play out the string, let the chips fall where they may. Re-load in the off season and have at it again next season.
I saw another set of probabilities that said in the East, 90 points looks like it will be the playoff cutoff this year. That means the Penguins would need to finish 6-1-1 over their last 8 to make the cutoff. Tall order for them.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:24 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:22 pm
I saw another set of probabilities that said in the East, 90 points looks like it will be the playoff cutoff this year. That means the Penguins would need to finish 6-1-1 over their last 8 to make the cutoff. Tall order for them.
Very much so it is. But, it's not impossible! :)
I'm just enjoying the games right now for what they are. Maybe that's my age setting in.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Up to 15%...Just keep winning. Just keep winning.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It’s really going to happen, the nightmare scenario that this team plays well enough the last 10 games to get out of the bottom 11 to eliminate any chance at the #1, still miss the playoffs by a few points but Sullivan won’t get fired despite the dozen or so individual things that should get any coach fired. The kick to the groin will be if Carter also plays well enough for Dubas to give him any sort of contract, even if it’s for the minimum it still wastes a roster spot because Sullivan will not have the self control to not play him.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

DelPen wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 am It’s really going to happen, the nightmare scenario that this team plays well enough the last 10 games to get out of the bottom 11 to eliminate any chance at the #1, still miss the playoffs by a few points but Sullivan won’t get fired despite the dozen or so individual things that should get any coach fired. The kick to the groin will be if Carter also plays well enough for Dubas to give him any sort of contract, even if it’s for the minimum it still wastes a roster spot because Sullivan will not have the self control to not play him.
Damn. I just grabbed my coffee. Can you let the day start first.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

DelPen wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 am It’s really going to happen, the nightmare scenario that this team plays well enough the last 10 games to get out of the bottom 11 to eliminate any chance at the #1, still miss the playoffs by a few points but Sullivan won’t get fired despite the dozen or so individual things that should get any coach fired. The kick to the groin will be if Carter also plays well enough for Dubas to give him any sort of contract, even if it’s for the minimum it still wastes a roster spot because Sullivan will not have the self control to not play him.
The perfect storm, amirite?

stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

I have no hope Sully will leave unless it's his choice. I do hope Reirden gets a HC position somewhere else. That would raise the chances of the PP getting better next year, not that it will but the chances are better.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

stonewizard51 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:09 am
I have no hope Sully will leave unless it's his choice. I do hope Reirden gets a HC position somewhere else. That would raise the chances of the PP getting better next year, not that it will but the chances are better.
No way Dubas offers Carter a contract. He keeps talking about getting younger - he needs to stick to his message.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:43 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:09 am
No way Dubas offers Carter a contract. He keeps talking about getting younger - he needs to stick to his message.
If he does offer Carter a contract, he'll preach that Carter is an excellent role model to teach the younger guys. :roll:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I just don't see it. He will be, what 40-41? I think Carter will retire really.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

He turns 40 on January 1st. Not that it matters.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

OK, here's the full rundown on the playoff scenario:

3rd in Metro - PHI, 83 points, 6 games remaining, 95 possible total points
--remaining schedule...@BUF, @CBJ, @MTL, @NYR, NJ, WSH (4 non playoff teams)

WC1 spot is out of the picture. TB has 93 points and wins all tiebreakers. WC1 is TB or TOR.

WC2 - currently NYI, 83 points, 6 games remaining, 95 possible points (PHI has 3 more RW, giving them the edge for Metro 3rd)
--remaining schedule...NSH, NYR, MTL, @NYR, @NJ, PIT (3 non playoff team games)

WSH, 82 points, 7 games remaining, 96 possible points
--remaining schedule...@CAR, OTT, @DET, @BUF, TB, BOS, @PHI (3 non playoff team games)

DET, 82 points, 7 games remaining, 96 possible points
--remaining schedule...NYR, BUF, WSH, @PIT, @TOR, MTL, @MTL (5 non playoff team games)

PIT, 81 points, 6 games remaining, 93 possible total points
--remaining schedule...TB, @TOR, DET, BOS, NSH, @NYI (2 no playoff team games)

PHI and DET have the easiest schedules. PIT has the toughest schedule
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Caps winning hurts
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Jake trying to do his part for his old team.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:56 pm Jake trying to do his part for his old team.
PHI loses to BUF.
DET about 4 minutes away from losing to NYR
WSH and CAR 2 minutes away from OT.

EDIT: Caps took a late penalty, and CAR scores on the PP with under 2 minutes left in the game. CAR up 3-2
EDIT2: Jake seals it with an ENG, his 2nd goal of the night, 3rd point of the night.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

Jake for the EN!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:36 pm
Badger Bob wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:56 pm Jake trying to do his part for his old team.
PHI loses to BUF.
DET about 4 minutes away from losing to NYR
WSH and CAR 2 minutes away from OT.

EDIT: Caps took a late penalty, and CAR scores on the PP with under 2 minutes left in the game. CAR up 3-2
Sweet. Jake just iced it for Carolina in regulation!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pittsburgh could be in the WC2 spot tomorrow afternoon with a win. PHI plays CBJ tomorrow night though, so it could be short lived.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Couldn't ask for a better night!

Turkey is now on the table!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »