The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Return of the Playoff Tracker Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

100565 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:29 pm If DET wins in regulation tonight and the Pens win all their remaining games in regulation, the Pens are guaranteed a playoff spot.

If WAS win tonight, the Pens could win all remaining games in regulation and miss the playoffs.

Just sayin.

I doubt the Pens win all their remaining games in regulation so I am rooting for any outcome that does not involve OT.
This is why I don't read those charts (cause I can't). Good point 100565.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

How is WSH even in the race at all? That roster is hot garbage. They seem to be consistently outplayed and outshot in every game.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Nice to watch Torts and Flyers collapsing. 6-zip Put a smile on my face.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Coffey Break wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:10 pm How is WSH even in the race at all? That roster is hot garbage. They seem to be consistently outplayed and outshot in every game.
I think it's really about teams with better rosters on paper under-performing. I think the Pens and Devils have more talent on paper, and if they were both actually at ~90 points right now, Washington and the other meh teams still currently in the hunt would be out of it.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:10 pm How is WSH even in the race at all? That roster is hot garbage. They seem to be consistently outplayed and outshot in every game.
I think it's really about teams with better rosters on paper under-performing. I think the Pens and Devils have more talent on paper, and if they were both actually at ~90 points right now, Washington and the other meh teams still currently in the hunt would be out of it.
That's a fair assessment. Also feel like Lindgren has (for the most part) stood on his head for majority of the season. He's been their MVP.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

100565 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:29 pm If WAS win tonight, the Pens could win all remaining games in regulation and miss the playoffs.
Oh, now you tell us. Caps up 2-0 in 3rd. :lol:
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I'm not sure these were great results tonight for the Pens. The Flyers losing is always great, and now they would seem to be a long shot to make the playoffs. But with the Isles winning, they're 3 points ahead of the Pens and even on games. It would be hard for the Pens to catch them with only 4 games left.

With the Caps winning, they're 1 point ahead of the Pens and even on games. They play @Buffalo, home to Tampa, home to Boston, and @Philly. If the Caps get 4 points out of those games, which seems a fair baseline expectation, that obviously means the Pens would need 5. Going 2-1-1 in their last 4 will be tough.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

WSH wins 2-1
PHI gets crushed 9-2 by MTL
NYI win 4-2 over NYR

NYI, 3rd Metro, 87 points, 4 games remaining, max points 95 -- MTL, @NYR, @NJD, final game at home vs PIT
WSH, WC2 spot, 85 points, 4 games remaining, max points 93 -- @BUF, at home against TB & BOS, then @PHI to end the season.
PIT, next in line with 84 points, 4 games remaining, max points 92 -- DET, BOS, NSH, @NYI
DET, next in line with 84 points, 4 games remaining, max points 92 (Penguins hold tiebreaker in RW) -- @PIT, @TOR, MTL, @MTL

Penguins have 3 of last 4 at home. Detroit has 3 of last 4 on the road. NYI and WSH 50/50 home/away split.
Washington probably has toughest schedule, then Islanders, then Pittsburgh and Detroit.

I think 100565 was right in that we really need WSH to start losing, because we control our own destiny with NYI and DET, playing those teams as part of our last 4 games.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:05 pm WSH wins 2-1
PHI gets crushed 9-2 by MTL
NYI win 4-2 over NYR

NYI, 3rd Metro, 87 points, 4 games remaining, max points 95 -- MTL, @NYR, @NJD, final game at home vs PIT
WSH, WC2 spot, 85 points, 4 games remaining, max points 93 -- @BUF, at home against TB & BOS, then @PHI to end the season.
PIT, next in line with 84 points, 4 games remaining, max points 92 -- DET, BOS, NSH, @NYI
DET, next in line with 84 points, 4 games remaining, max points 92 (Penguins hold tiebreaker in RW) -- @PIT, @TOR, MTL, @MTL

Penguins have 3 of last 4 at home. Detroit has 3 of last 4 on the road. NYI and WSH 50/50 home/away split.
Washington probably has toughest schedule, then Islanders, then Pittsburgh and Detroit.

I think 100565 was right in that we really need WSH to start losing, because we control our own destiny with NYI and DET, playing those teams as part of our last 4 games.
Not against the Isles as they are 3pts up on the Pens so the Isles need to do worse than 3-1(loss vs. Pens) record the rest of the way for the Pens to catch them. Their W over the Rags was huge and they somehow held a 3rd period lead the whole 20mins. Isles' chances are a lot better than the rest.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

That’s a huge loss by Detroit. Pens need to take care of business Thursday.

Isles and Pens deserve to make it based on their recent play.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

brwi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:29 pm
Not against the Isles as they are 3pts up on the Pens so the Isles need to do worse than 3-1(loss vs. Pens) record the rest of the way for the Pens to catch them. Their W over the Rags was huge and they somehow held a 3rd period lead the whole 20mins. Isles' chances are a lot better than the rest.
Honestly, giving up the extra point in OT against the Leafs... the Isles are the lesser of the Pens worries. Except, of course, the last game of the season. It was always about two spots, and the Pens concern is now the Wings and Caps.

They've quickly lost control of their own playoff destiny, and now require help. They have to take care of their own schedule, but still need a Caps falter, or a massive Isles collapse.

Since they can do nothing to affect the Caps, they are in 'win and hope' mode.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

No one to blame but the man in the mirror
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Skatingpen wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:41 am No one to blame but the man in the mirror
This. X 💯

No reason to crowd, because there is enough mirror to go around.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pretty much the season on the line tonight...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ned the first goalie off the ice.

Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Make it happen boys! Let's go Pens!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

They already blew the top 10 pick, so the might as well go for it! LET'S GO PENS!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Looking at the top 4 in the east, it does appear that any 4 of than could still be the #1 since Florida could tie the Rags in points at 110 and have the tiebreaker for RW with 2 games left. If Rags pick up a single point that eliminates Florida from top seed and WC2 can’t play them.

Canes and Bruins are 3 back with a game in hand from NY, they are both still in it for top seed. Whoever gets #2 in the East gets to play Tampa provided Toronto can pick up 2 more points in any fashion in their last three games.

So if we close this out we have Boston, Carolina or NYR. Neither of them are good options but we have beat two of them recently and it will be interesting how both the Pens and Bruins show up Saturday.

I really don’t want to play the Rags because they are dirty from the top down, a big reason we couldn’t close out 2022 was Rakell being taken out early in the series then Crosby taken out later when we were looking to win it. Them and Florida are jokes.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Remaining Games:

Islanders remaining games (89 pts.):
Rangers, Devils, Penguins

Pens remaining games (86 pts.):
Boston, Nashville, Islanders

Capitals remaining games (85 pts):
Tampa, Boston, Philadelphia

Red Wings remaining games (85 pts):
Toronto, Montreal, Montreal

Flyers remaining games (85 pts):
New Jersey, Washington

Four of those teams have a shot at 3rd place in the division. 5 teams with 2 spots up for grabs. Philly is probably in the worst spot with only two games left and they have been floundering of late, as has Washington & Detroit. Would be nice to see the Rags beat the Isles on Saturday afternoon as they are in pursuit of the Presidents trophy. At least the Pens have Boston at home, but that game scares me. Pens and Islanders have been the hottest teams of the group recently. The Wings probably have the easiest remaining schedule with two games against Montreal. I think the Pens and Washington probably have the toughest schedule of the group.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Badger Bob wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:26 am Remaining Games:

Islanders remaining games (89 pts.):
Rangers, Devils, Penguins

Pens remaining games (86 pts.):
Boston, Nashville, Islanders

Capitals remaining games (85 pts):
Tampa, Boston, Philadelphia

Red Wings remaining games (85 pts):
Toronto, Montreal, Montreal

Flyers remaining games (85 pts):
New Jersey, Washington

Four of those teams have a shot at 3rd place in the division. 5 teams with 2 spots up for grabs. Philly is probably in the worst spot with only two games left and they have been floundering of late, as has Washington & Detroit. Would be nice to see the Rags beat the Isles on Saturday afternoon as they are in pursuit of the Presidents trophy. At least the Pens have Boston at home, but that game scares me. Pens and Islanders have been the hottest teams of the group recently. The Wings probably have the easiest remaining schedule with two games against Montreal. I think the Pens and Washington probably have the toughest schedule of the group.
The Islanders just beat the Rangers at home. I would be a bit surprised if the Rangers got beat by the Isles twice in 5 days. For discussion sake, let's say the Isles lose in regulation to the Rangers and beat the Devils. That puts them at 91 points heading into the season finally against the Penguins. I think that is pretty fair guess at how those first 2 games go.

If that happens, the Penguins would need to win out to take 3rd in the Metro. They would need to beat BOS and NSH, then beat NYI by any means (regulation or OT)

If that scenario played out, none of the teams behind the Penguins could catch them. WSH max points is 91, and Penguins would be at 92. Penguins need to win both of their games, and the Islanders need to lose one of the games vs Devils or Rangers for 3rd in Metro to be a possibility.

If we get to that final game and NYI have beat NJD and NYR, 3rd in Metro is out of the picture.

In terms of the WC2 spot, Penguins guarantee themselves that spot by gaining 5 out of 6 points. Beyond that, it is wait and see who wins which games. Penguins winning 2 out of last 3 puts them in a good spot.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Detroit having 2 games against Montreal doesn't sit well with me although Montreal has not seemed to have packed it in. Boston is going to be a tough game Saturday. but the Pens usually play them pretty well. They will need to find their defensive game that night. If we get past Boston, I will feel much better.

I expect the Isles to lose to NYR and beat the Devs. Devs just shut down Jack Hughes for the rest of the season. They are done.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Don’t think there is much difference between metro third and second wild card. Almost better if Isles win out and coast in game 82.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pitts wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:04 am They will need to find their defensive game that night.
Good one! :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Crazy how the Pens sliver of that chart went from miniscule to chonky. :thumb: