Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 12/23/23

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 12/23/23

Post by Antonio »

Funny isn't it. Almost like signing an aging, moody, often lazy player closer to 40 than 30 for 4 more years wasn't exactly a great idea. Too much emotion, not enough business in this organization.

I'd love to keep giving KD the benefit of the doubt because he DID unload a TON of trash and mistakes in one off season, in a way I never thought possible. However, at this stage, not replacing the coaching staff is off the charts negligent, so I'm not sure how to feel about him anymore.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wonder if they will consider moving Geno to wing and bring in a 2C.

Back when he was a free agent I wanted them to sign both Geno and Trocheck. Geno needs to start moving to wing. He’s not strong enough defensively.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

A 23 Shot 3rd Period gets the Pens an OT loser point.Considering the non effort for 2 periods they are beyond lucky.
Pettersson had an outstanding 3rd Period and was huge in getting this tied up.
Malkin gets demoted and then goes out in OT and puts on a pathetic effort that leads to this loss.He is a major factor in this teams continued mediocrity.
Rakell got a gift goal from Sid but played poorly and is just as responsible for the game losing goal.He was the main failure on 2 Goals against in this one.
1-7 on the PP,2 goals scored seconds after 2 failures.Cost this Team yet another point that when they miss the playoffs they will be regretting.

Feels like a game that screams for the changes the underperforming on ice play has rendered necessary but we all know will not take place.
The pathetic effort for 2 Periods and albatross of a PP was front and center against an awful team. To not hold who is responsible for this and enabling the continued mediocrity the story of this failure of a season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

KG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:02 pm Wonder if they will consider moving Geno to wing and bring in a 2C.

Back when he was a free agent I wanted them to sign both Geno and Trocheck. Geno needs to start moving to wing. He’s not strong enough defensively.
I've said this for two years
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Frankly I'm surprised Sullivan didn't send Graves out with Geno and Rakell in OT.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sullivan said he liked our 3rd period but the first 40 minutes the game had no flow because of all the penalties.

Guy. If we had a marginal power play this game would have been over in the first 40. There’s no flow because we played like garbage.

So done with his coddling
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 pm Sullivan said he liked our 3rd period but the first 40 minutes the game had no flow because of all the penalties.

Guy. If we had a marginal power play this game would have been over in the first 40. There’s no flow because we played like garbage.

Sullivan said he liked our 3rd period but the first 40 minutes the game had no flow because of all the penalties a severe lack of effort.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 pm Sullivan said he liked our 3rd period but the first 40 minutes the game had no flow because of all the penalties.

We might need a magic 8 ball for both Teflon Mike’s post game press conferences. They’re both so full of cliches and crap that I sometimes wonder if anyone listens to them.

I like what I saw during XYZ part of the game
We got to our game and won
We didn’t get to our game
The standard is the standard
We need to do better (meaning everyone but Teflon Mike)

We could probably come up with a dozen cliches that both coaches use often. It’s almost like the Penguins and Steelers went from standard of the league to Dr Seuss.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Dare I say that Franchise ownership of both teams take full advantage of Pittsburgh fan loyalty knowing that fans will purchase tickets, put butts in the luxury boxes, and tune into local sports talk radio, spew angry thoughts about the teams (Fire the Coach!!!) then show up again for the next home game??

I say this because I live 15 minutes away from the Ducks and Angels, and stopped going to games once I felt like I was being used. Did it change anything to the bottom line? Yes, small beans it a huge pot of chili. Yes, I had cash left in my wallet.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

BigMcK wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 am Dare I say that Franchise ownership of both teams take full advantage of Pittsburgh fan loyalty knowing that fans will purchase tickets, put butts in the luxury boxes, and tune into local sports talk radio, spew angry thoughts about the teams (Fire the Coach!!!) then show up again for the next home game??

I say this because I live 15 minutes away from the Ducks and Angels, and stopped going to games once I felt like I was being used. Did it change anything to the bottom line? Yes, small beans it a huge pot of chili. Yes, I had cash left in my wallet.
Until they don't... We've already seen the beginning of it with the Pens fans. The fan intensity will continue to decline with this team unless the on ice product does something to fire up the fan base... and so far it's a lot of .500 hockey - that isn't going to move the needle for people.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KBone wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 am
BigMcK wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 am Dare I say that Franchise ownership of both teams take full advantage of Pittsburgh fan loyalty knowing that fans will purchase tickets, put butts in the luxury boxes, and tune into local sports talk radio, spew angry thoughts about the teams (Fire the Coach!!!) then show up again for the next home game??

Until they don't... We've already seen the beginning of it with the Pens fans. The fan intensity will continue to decline with this team unless the on ice product does something to fire up the fan base... and so far it's a lot of .500 hockey - that isn't going to move the needle for people.
I think the problem is the stagnation. Look at the Steelers, they aren’t going anywhere this year but yesterday’s game created a vibe because of Mason. He had a great game, which allowed the defense to do its thing and the crowd responded.

The Penguins refuse to let youth compete unless there is an injury bug and only after what 3-4 people get hurt. Before that they have the usual suspects of cheap barely NHLers in their late 20s to early 30s. Winning helps, but isn’t the only thing. Making an effort and playing hard will win over the fans. Having a light at the end of the tunnel does too. I’m in the bored with this team camp and refuse to spend money to watch the games. I’ll pay attention and I’ll post in here but I see no reason to waste my time and money for a product that doesn’t seem to be trying to win, just playing out the string to the season and their careers until the inevitable painful rebuild.