Official GDT: Pens @ Flyers 1/8/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Flyers 1/8/24

Post by KG »

Really liking Ned's game. Watched his post-game interview. He's a funny guy. Character. Seems very relaxed and calm. I'm sure that has a positive effect on the team. Pretty much the opposite of what Jarry appears to be in interviews.

Ride Ned. If he continues to have a strong season some interesting conversations might have to happen with contract extensions and Jarry etc.

A good problem to have!

I liked their pushback last night. They didn't get pushed around. Yes Deslauries threw Jake around like a ragdoll but that's not a hard thing to do lol. They responded and pushed back without losing composure.

Good to see EK stick one. He's been playing more confidently lately as well. DOC looked great. If he can continue to produce we could have 3 solid offensive lines, which is something we haven't had for several seasons.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

I hope Sullivan rides with DOC on Malkin's line. Malkin has always played better with linemates who go north-south and that's DOC's game. Also putting Smith on Line 3 gives increases the scoring depth, and hopefully helps Puustinen assuming Sullivan will play him more than 7 minutes per game. Agree on your point with Ned. Ride him until he has a real stinker.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I think the best they can hope for with Ned is that they can get him signed next year on another 1 year deal, at a higher $$$. He makes 1.5M today. Can they bring him back at 3M for 1 year, with the "wink" discussion that, another solid season, and we may look at extending you and trading Jarry. The only reason why I say wait one more year to move Jarry is, I don't think Blomqvist is ready yet and will need another year before becoming an NHL level backup, and I'm not sold on Ned/Hellberg as a good enough NHL tandem.

But more realistically, with many teams out there desperate for solid goaltending...the Penguins will lose Ned.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:26 pm For all the heat Graves has taken, he is now a +12 on the season. +2 today. I know plus minus is just a stat, but…

Also Pens are now plus +15 in goal differential, second in the Metro to the Rangers +20.
Graves was pretty physical last night as well. Dropped a few Flyers.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:58 am I think the best they can hope for with Ned is that they can get him signed next year on another 1 year deal, at a higher $$$. He makes 1.5M today. Can they bring him back at 3M for 1 year, with the "wink" discussion that, another solid season, and we may look at extending you and trading Jarry. The only reason why I say wait one more year to move Jarry is, I don't think Blomqvist is ready yet and will need another year before becoming an NHL level backup, and I'm not sold on Ned/Hellberg as a good enough NHL tandem.

But more realistically, with many teams out there desperate for solid goaltending...the Penguins will lose Ned.
They could always get a goalie back if they decided to trade one of Ned/Jarry. I know Ned hasn't been a model of consistency his career, but he's only 27. Maybe he's finding his way. Have a hard time just letting him walk for nothing. Especially with so many teams not loving their goalie situation.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

BurghThing wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 pm
Crash66 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:46 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:44 pm
dark_forces wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 pm Whoever the woman is doing color on the Pittsburgh radio feed with Mears is awful. She definitely shouldn't quit her day job.
Did they throw Hailey Hunter on radio tonight?
Michele something or other.
Michelle Crechiola (sp?) Ole 29er called in sick, last minute call up.
Michelle Crechiolo, former captain of Michigan State's womens hockey team. She was great – extremely knowledgeable and threw in lots of tidbits about individual players. She definitely has a future in broadcasting if she wants to leave her current job with the Penguins.