What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:41 pm David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
Starting to hear the price might be too rich for Florida, and while Vancouver reengaged, likely too rich for them, too. So, 3 team race? #dramaaaa
David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
·
27m
Jake Guentzel trade discussions are intensifying. While the #LetsGoPens keep working at it, I'm told it's "getting close." At this hour, the Rangers, Golden Knights, Canucks, Panthers & Hurricanes are still in the mix, per source.
If Vancouver won't give up one of Lekkerimaki, Willander, or Hoglander...Dubas should stop answering Jimmy and Patty's calls.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

I think my head will explode if Guentzel gets the game winner for the Rangers March 15th, but Othmann, Kakko and a 1st would be too good to refuse.
Last edited by Maestro on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If prices are really this high for Jake. I don't see how Vegas is still in there. What do they have? Brisson, Edstrom and a 1st? I mean it's not a bad offer, but would not thrill the fan base.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Maestro wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:49 pm I think my head will exode if Guentzel gets the game winner for the Rangers March 15th, but Othmann, Kakko and a 1st would be too good to refuse.
Agreed. I think Dubas is holding firm. He wants a young roster player, top prospect and a 1st round pick (or similar prospect). That would be a haul for a rental. It seems that we will get a solid return here.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Isn’t Othmann and Perrault the best scenario? Kakko has been a bust. Their 1st gonna be late if they go deep.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

One of these contenders is going to have to give up a really good young player if they want Guentzel. That’s just how it goes with this sort of thing. The Pens did that for years to load of up for a run so Dubas needs to stay firm on this. One of these GMs will crack.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

I get that teams can't be too cavalier in trading their top prospects, but for a team like the Rags that has 1 Cup in the last 83 years I think they'd let go of an 18yo like Perrault if that's what's holding them back from landing 1 of 40 players in the history of the league to average 1.0+PPG in the playoffs...

Add it to the many reasons that I am not a GM and would like be a poor-to-middling one at best. *shrug*
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

pronovost19 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:10 pm Isn’t Othmann and Perrault the best scenario? Kakko has been a bust. Their 1st gonna be late if they go deep.
If Dubas were to get BOTH Othmann and Perrault for Guentzel, I'd call that a coup for the Pens
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wonder if this is part of a Jake trade?
Last edited by KG on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

BfromD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:15 pm
pronovost19 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:10 pm Isn’t Othmann and Perrault the best scenario? Kakko has been a bust. Their 1st gonna be late if they go deep.
If Dubas were to get BOTH Othmann and Perrault for Guentzel, I'd call that a coup for the Pens
Would not be surprised if that is the ask. We want Perrault and Othmann. You keep your late late first and Kakko.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Wouldn't mind seeing Jake with Carolina. They're an easy team to root for (despite being in the division). Plus Guentzel-Aho-Svechnikov would be an unbelievable first line to watch. Hockey smarts all over that ice.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Hold out for Othmann and Perrault. Not a Bunting fan at all.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:19 pm Wouldn't mind seeing Jake with Carolina. They're an easy team to root for (despite being in the division). Plus Guentzel-Aho-Svechnikov would be an unbelievable first line to watch. Hockey smarts all over that ice.
I live in Raleigh. I cannot stand the Canes.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:19 pm Wouldn't mind seeing Jake with Carolina. They're an easy team to root for (despite being in the division). Plus Guentzel-Aho-Svechnikov would be an unbelievable first line to watch. Hockey smarts all over that ice.
I agree. Plus we have the added hope of the Hurricanes meeting the Canucks in the final and hoping Jake takes them (and their fans) to school.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

If you lived in Raleigh you would not say that. Canes fans are the worst. I cannot stand the team or their fan base.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:25 pm
I agree. Plus we have the added hope of the Hurricanes meeting the Canucks in the final and hoping Jake takes them (and their fans) to school.
I hope this Bunting news is for a Reilly Smith swap or something though. You have to get MUCH MUCH more than Michael freakin Bunting for a 40-goal scorer. A top 2 prospect (Morrow or Nadeau) + 1st round pick at minimum + young NHL player at minimum,

Michael Bunting is 1 year younger then Guentzel and signed for 3 more years at 4.5MM AVV. Pass.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Coffey Break wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 pm
I hope this Bunting news is for a Reilly Smith swap or something though. You have to get MUCH MUCH more than Michael freakin Bunting for a 40-goal scorer. A top 2 prospect (Morrow or Nadeau) + 1st round pick at minimum + young NHL player at minimum,

Michael Bunting is 1 year younger then Guentzel and signed for 3 more years at 4.5MM AVV. Pass.
Dubas loves Bunting. This is crazy. Not happy at all.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Is Jake in the lineup?
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

pronovost19 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:30 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 pm

Dubas loves Bunting. This is crazy. Not happy at all.
For once, I want a GM that is not so emotionally tied to all the **** players from the past. I am terrified to see the final deal.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Freidman saying Bunting being held out for the Jake trade....Better be a solid haul! Here we go...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pronovost19 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:30 pm Is Jake in the lineup?
Jake can't play until March 10th due to LTIR rules.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

If the Rangers dangled Othmann or Perrault in any fashion and we get Bunting it is a huge loss.