What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by KG »

Really would have liked a blue chip prospect. But if there was one organization we could get 3 top 10 prospects from it would be Carolina.

Now we just need to find a coach to properly develop them!
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Abysmal return. Quantity over quality. For a bonafide 40-goal scorer. Couldn't net any of their top 5 prospects.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

We just took a really large bite out of a very good farm system for a guy who is going to be 30 next season and would have cost us close to 10M a year for maybe 8 years. This is how you rebuild.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Madden just said this is NOT the deal he heard we were getting. (not saying it is wrong, just that when he said we'd be happy, he thought we were getting other pieces).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Hurricanes have 4 big prospects playing college hockey Scott Morrow 2nd round ‘21 (UMASS) Jackson Blake 4th round ‘21 (NODAK) Bradley Nadeau 1st round ‘23 (MAINE) Jayden Perron 3rd round ‘23 (NODAK) and didn’t have to give up one of them in the deal for Guentzel. Thats shocking[/code]
From Ryan Whitney tweet.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 pm We just took a really large bite out of a very good farm system for a guy who is going to be 30 next season and would have cost us close to 10M a year for maybe 8 years. This is how you rebuild.
:thumb: We'll know in about 3 years whether this was a good or lousy trade. Anybody who thinks he knows now is just full of it.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

Anyone who thinks this isn’t a huge win for us doesn’t understand the market - it’s the most I’ve seen someone get for a pure rental, regardless of pedigree. Jake didn’t fit into what we where doing and I think we can do much more with the club to rebuild and we still get a capable 40-50 point guy for only more more year in Bunting. Crosby has thrived with players like Sheary, Kunitz, Dupis.

20 games of Jake or what we got. We take that deal every time. Ty smith had no future here.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:01 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 pm We just took a really large bite out of a very good farm system for a guy who is going to be 30 next season and would have cost us close to 10M a year for maybe 8 years. This is how you rebuild.
:thumb: We'll know in about 3 years whether this was a good or lousy trade. Anybody who thinks he knows now is just full of it.
We took a large bite out of the bottom of a really good farm system. Not getting anyone in their top 5 is a sin.

(These are The Athletic's comments on these Carolina prospects)

Ponomaryov - I’m not sure if he’ll be a full-time NHLer as opposed to a tweener, because it is a little hard to decipher what his role will be, but he showed well in his first call-up and has always been a well-liked player wherever he has gone.

Koivunen - I still see potential top-nine upside with the right development plan and some patience, even if his odds of meeting it are low to medium.

Lucius - He will ultimately be defined, though, by his ability to continue to wait for plays to develop and stay cerebral as the speed of the level around him ramps up. If he can, he’ll be a complementary playmaking winger.

Again, I don't look at any of these guys, in our 27th or 28th ranked system, and say "This guy immediately jumps ahead of Yager/Pickering/Blomqvist as our top prospect."

We didn't need to get Vancouver, Rangers, Carolina, or Edmonton's top guy...but not getting a single guy in the top 5 of Carolina. I don't have any more words. I usually try to reserve judgement, let the dust settle and wait 24 hours before really digging in. But Dubas just **** the bed with our best trade chip.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

FL Pens:

It’s similar to Timo Meirs trade, albeit a little less. Yes would have been nice but there is value in getting a good roster player at a reasonable price - under contract for another year. He can be flipped next trade deadline for a 1st or a top 5 prospect and a pick from another system. You need to digest them some. Also -
We don’t know what the other offers are.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Initial thoughts.

Bunting will slot in as a Jake replacement on the LW for next season or two. That's a significant net downgrade at the position but we were losing Jake in the offseason anyway so we have a body to put there now.

The prospects look like a collection of tweeners and/or projects. The write-ups don't indicate anyone who will be playing for the Pens anytime soon, if at all. We shall see. May very well turn out to be several Rico Fatas. Good enough to play because we don't have anyone who is good enough to play.

The draft pick may end up being a 2nd, or a very late 1st at best.

Initial thoughts - not really impressed by the collection as I don't see a true centerpiece that we can count on. I really thought Jake would bring more back than that
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BlackNGold4Life wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:29 am FL Pens:

It’s similar to Timo Meirs trade, albeit a little less. Yes would have been nice but there is value in getting a good roster player at a reasonable price - under contract for another year. He can be flipped next trade deadline for a 1st or a top 5 prospect and a pick from another system. You need to digest them some. Also -
Getting Bunting in this deal is pure nepotism by Dubas. His Toronto pal. His SSM buddy. Bringing Bunting in for Smith. Sure. Trying to justify Bunting as a major return for Guentzel? No chance. The analytics people aren't very kind to Bunting and the value he brings. Listen to what you just said...you think we are going to flip Bunting for a 1st or a top 5 prospect next year, when GUENTZEL couldn't do that now????

I've been going through evals and scouting reports on Edmonton, Vancouver, Vegas, Florida, and LA for 2 weeks. I added Carolina and the Rangers this week. We added another 3 spare parts to our list of 15 other capable bottom 6ers.

That's not what Dubas needed to accomplish here. I've gotta sign off. I'm too frustrated to keep going at it.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

If Penguins scouts were competent, these prospects could have drafted by the Penguins?

Dubas just got schooled. Went all in way after chips up for grabs were already taken off the table by more skilled players.

Takeaway for me? Penguins got some chips back in exchange for cards that would be worthless at the season end.

Schooled. Rhymes with fooled. Waited too long to make an impact.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

I do think Bunting could get a first or a top 5 prospect to a contender after a season on Sid’s wing. A single piece yes.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I don't know... I think GMKD and every other GM in the league knew the market and set it. I guess KD could have sat on it for another day, but at this point when you have what has been your best offer so far on the table, waiting might not be the best option.

Yeah, I think we all would have liked to have had more back for Jake, but at the end of the day you can't make other GM's give you what you want. I'm just assuming that KD took the best offer on the table...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Dissapointing return.. I would prefer quality over quantity..

Bunting ,ONE really top prospect and pick.. now we got 3 lower tier prospects ,eeeeeh..
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Apparently all kd can do is acquire guys he knows. No wonder he loves Sullivan so much .. they're the same. Only stick with guys you know and obsess over them.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by NJ5934 »

This is going to be a really tough period if this middle ground approach is the plan. This move doesn’t make the current group better now or in the foreseeable future nor does it free up a ton of space to go find a Jake replacement.

We are not competitive with the veteran core at this point. Might as well strip it down to nothing and let Sid finish out his career with a group of young players. I would move everyone and everything at this point. If we are going to rebuild, rebuild now.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:48 am
BlackNGold4Life wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:29 am FL Pens:

Getting Bunting in this deal is pure nepotism by Dubas. His Toronto pal. His SSM buddy. Bringing Bunting in for Smith. Sure. Trying to justify Bunting as a major return for Guentzel? No chance. The analytics people aren't very kind to Bunting and the value he brings. Listen to what you just said...you think we are going to flip Bunting for a 1st or a top 5 prospect next year, when GUENTZEL couldn't do that now????

I've been going through evals and scouting reports on Edmonton, Vancouver, Vegas, Florida, and LA for 2 weeks. I added Carolina and the Rangers this week. We added another 3 spare parts to our list of 15 other capable bottom 6ers.

That's not what Dubas needed to accomplish here. I've gotta sign off. I'm too frustrated to keep going at it.
When you're trying to trade a guy at the deadline that's going to be a UFA at the end of the season you're going to get much less than full value. Teams who want a Guentzel, aren't giving you a significant piece off their NHL roster, nor are they giving prime cheap prospects for a rental. The people here who thought we were getting a couple of major pieces towards a rebuild for a rental were delusional. If you want to make a hockey trade you need to do it around the draft, before teams spend money on free agents, that's what this league has been for many years.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

You guys kill me already knocking the trade. How do you know how these players will turn out? What did you expect for a rental at this point? What pens_CT said.👍. I’d be more concerned about Sullivan ruining Bunting and the prospects. Give these guys a chance.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Why didn’t KD allow Carolina to speak with Jake about an extension? Maybe he would have gotten a better return if signed.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Wyopen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:58 am Why didn’t KD allow Carolina to speak with Jake about an extension? Maybe he would have gotten a better return if signed.
Perhaps they want to leave the option open to re-sign Guentzel in the offseason.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Guinness wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:31 am I don't know... I think GMKD and every other GM in the league knew the market and set it. I guess KD could have sat on it for another day, but at this point when you have what has been your best offer so far on the table, waiting might not be the best option.

Yeah, I think we all would have liked to have had more back for Jake, but at the end of the day you can't make other GM's give you what you want. I'm just assuming that KD took the best offer on the table...
Agreed. Not understanding the expectation that the PENS should have received GOLD when history has never said so. I'm actually amazed the Pens got so many players back in the deal really. I was expecting a player or high prospect and a pick.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Anyone notice anything special from the Jagr Night? That dude was a horse! I guess this organization is 110% against getting anyone 6’ 2” or bigger for any position. This is why we continue to get pushed around and are often injured. We need a couple of big guys who can hold their own.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:31 am
Guinness wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:31 am I don't know... I think GMKD and every other GM in the league knew the market and set it. I guess KD could have sat on it for another day, but at this point when you have what has been your best offer so far on the table, waiting might not be the best option.

Agreed. Not understanding the expectation that the PENS should have received GOLD when history has never said so. I'm actually amazed the Pens got so many players back in the deal really. I was expecting a player or high prospect and a pick.
Agreed. Im a huge Jake fan. He’s a hell of a hockey player. But we had to trade him and I think we got fair value. Based on history of pure rentals. This was actually one of the better returns. Why? Because we got a cost controlled asset in bunting back that if Cariloha was a seller at this deadline - Bunting would fetch a late first rounder/ early second. 5-10 ranked prospects for Cariloha are likely Top 5s for half the league. They are deep.

We can still resign Jake, but if he wants 9-10M for 7-8 years it doesn’t make sense. And I think he gets that if he shows he can perform away from Sid.

If we move on from Smith as we should. We not have his replacement in Bunting. Bunting also maybe fit well with Sid. He’s kinda a hybrid of Horny and Jake.