Official GDT: Pens @ Vegas 1/20/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Vegas 1/20/24

Post by KG »

This late into the season and they lose a game like this ? Losses like this is how and why you don’t make the playoffs.

This game was there to be had. Vegas were outmanned and didn’t have much fire power. All they had to do was play smart in the 3rd.

They get what 5 shots for the entire period? Geno and Letang continue to make stupid mistakes with zero accountability while Puustinen continues to have the least amount of ice time per game. Geno is a problem if he plays lazy and undisciplined.

Power play still a joke. Coaches can’t fix it. Jarry looked great through 2 then when the going got tough, he folded. This team has been emotionally weak for 6 seasons now.

All of the media people saying that it’s just one loss and the fans are Debbie-downers. The problem I have with that is this isn’t a one off thing. They have been inconsistent and under performing for years now. Zero accountability unless you’re a rookie.

Stale. You know the Islanders are going to get a boost after they brought in a new coach. This team just doesn’t want to rock the boat and upset the core and bring in a new coach.

I don’t get it. Beyond frustrating. Flyers, Devils, Caps all lose. Great night to give up a 3 spot in the 3rd and not even come away with a loser point.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

They will play just well enough to force management to resign Guentzel but not make the playoffs. Always near or reaching for the WC but never quite securing it. In a little over four minutes they lost this game.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

If I’m not mistaken Mike Matheson has as many goals, assists, and points as EK65. But 5 million less per year. Correct me if I’m wrong.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wyopen wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:08 am If I’m not mistaken Mike Matheson has as many goals, assists, and points as EK65. But 5 million less per year. Correct me if I’m wrong.
I think same points. EK's issue is system/coaching. Sully doesn't know how to coach him.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 am
Wyopen wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:08 am If I’m not mistaken Mike Matheson has as many goals, assists, and points as EK65. But 5 million less per year. Correct me if I’m wrong.
I think same points. EK's issue is system/coaching. Sully doesn't know how to coach him.
Sully doesn't know how to coach anyone.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 am
No both have 7 goals, 25 assists, and thus 32 points. You’re probably right, it has to be coaching.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens have the 3rd from the bottom worst power play. Only Chicago and Philly have a worse PP %. I'm sorry but shut it down. That's unacceptable that they haven't been able to figure out the power play half-way through the season with the talent they have.

Players just do what they want. Geno is clueless. Only puny Jake goes to the net. Reirden has no clue, Sully is even more clueless. You just cant have a power play clicking at 13% with the talent we have.

Fire someone. Hire someone. Do something.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Vegas is the defending SC champion and they proved why last night - resilience. And speed. First 2 Vegas goals were a result of Paul Coffey like swoops around the net.

Pens also decided that playing 2 periods was enough to secure the win.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:31 am Pens have the 3rd from the bottom worst power play. Only Chicago and Philly have a worse PP %. I'm sorry but shut it down. That's unacceptable that they haven't been able to figure out the power play half-way through the season with the talent they have.

Players just do what they want. Geno is clueless. Only puny Jake goes to the net. Reirden has no clue, Sully is even more clueless. You just cant have a power play clicking at 13% with the talent we have.

I am afraid that it is too late for even that. We know they won’t do what is needed anymore. If you are like me you feel it in your gut. Normally after a game like last nights, I would wake up and still feel that sting, it would remain in the back of my mind how we let a win slip away. I don’t feel that anymore. My gut tells me, well it figures. I am now kind of surprised when the team doesn’t screw things up. That tells me that this team as we know it is done! Major changes are needed. Strip it down like boot camp and build it back up. New players, new coaches, start from scratch. They have spent the las 6-7 years trying to do things with tweaks. It clearly isn’t working. You feel it in your gut.
Bo_Pens

Post by Bo_Pens »

Sullivan lost that game with the instructions between 2 and 3

Dump puck - keep it deep - idiot!!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I'm on the east coast like probably a lot of you, so I didn't stay up for the game, but I watched the highlights on YT this morning. I thought that only one of those 3rd period goals were really on Jarry. The other 2 in my opinion were mostly on defensive coverage breakdownns. Jarry, in my view, did his job. He wasn't responsible for the loss.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

Guinness wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:05 pm I'm on the east coast like probably a lot of you, so I didn't stay up for the game, but I watched the highlights on YT this morning. I thought that only one of those 3rd period goals were really on Jarry. The other 2 in my opinion were mostly on defensive coverage breakdownns. Jarry, in my view, did his job. He wasn't responsible for the loss.
Last goal was pretty much on Jarry. You need a save there. The guy’s some distance from the net. It wasn’t deflected and he had a sight line. Must save it
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:31 am Pens have the 3rd from the bottom worst power play. Only Chicago and Philly have a worse PP %. I'm sorry but shut it down. That's unacceptable that they haven't been able to figure out the power play half-way through the season with the talent they have.

Maybe we have a 13% PP because this is exactly the talent we have?

I say that because I think I (we) too often overrate our home team players. In the Pens' case, it's easy to do based on past success. Maybe they do the same thing?

Geno isn't what he once was but it sure looks like he thinks he is and tries to prove it too often. he's now good for countless turnovers a game, often with less than enthusiastic effort to match. He still tries to stick handle his way at speed through the entire defense like he is 24 years old again. It never works anymore but he continues to think it will.

Letang, deserving of praise for his career, but has never learned how to be even a little more responsible with the puck, also good for a number of boneheaded turnovers per game.

This team appears intent on proving they are better in name than in current ability. And on that note, there are a lot of 30+ year olds on longer term deals.The next few years are not likely to be any better.