Official GDT: Pens @ ASU 1/22/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ ASU 1/22/24

Post by KG »

Zalapski33 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:40 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:38 pm
Zalapski33 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:35 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 pm Eller and Ned were a couple signings a few people questioned that have so far been very good.
Agreed.Eller and Ned are solid.Would add Acciari to that group.
Him and Nieto have been good but I don’t think there were questions about why they were signed and their deals were good for their roles.

I will admit I was wrong about Graves thinking he was a good signing. We would had been better off if Hextall extended Dumo for 3 years at $10 million which would had prevented Graves from being signed at all.
Won't blame You on Graves.I also thought he was a nice pickup along with Reilly Smith.Man was I wrong there.
Same here. I guarantee you everyone on this team would play better under a different coach though.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:39 pm
Maestro wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:29 pm Berube or Gallant by end of week.
Come On Already!
I'd just fire Sullivan and Reirden, and go with Vellucci the rest of the season. There's no sense bringing in Gallant or Boudreau type of we are going to rebuild in a year or two (we should). Some coaches are made for successful teams, and some are made to get the best out of young players.

Give Vellucci a shot, as he has been drawing interviews for HC spots.
Sure if they rebuild as you suggest. If they keep the dream of keeping the band together for one last run Sullivan should be locked out of PPG starting tomorrow and see if they can catch fire with a change of message.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Bjugstad another good player brought in that this coach had no use for. That McCann Bjugstad trade for Brassard was one of JR’s best trades.

The list is endless
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

From the opening face off this team was not interested in putting forth any effort or competent play.
Jarry can't get blamed tonight.He wasnt the reason it went down like that.Inept Defensemen led to 3 Goals.
The "Own Goal" is the kind of play that eventually happens when You have lazy,entitled players who are free from criiticism(Letang) or accountability(Malkin).
Sidney Crosby played with effort and passion.Lars Eller had a good game as well.
Sully watched that disaster take place,didn't sit the 2 guys down and watched the team quit for the rest of the night.Speaks volumes about his mindset.

Hard to grasp the kind of performance that went on out there and the pathetic play from Letang and Malkin showcased the disaster this team is right now.Its a sinking ship with no rescue arriving any time soon.Crosby deserves better than this.
Dsmit570

Post by Dsmit570 »

It's time for Sullivan's and Reirden's heads to be on a stick.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Come On Already!
I'd just fire Sullivan and Reirden, and go with Vellucci the rest of the season. There's no sense bringing in Gallant or Boudreau type of we are going to rebuild in a year or two (we should). Some coaches are made for successful teams, and some are made to get the best out of young players.

Agree with this.Let Vellucci take it over and see what that does.He has been ready to get a Coaching Job for a while.Nothing to lose going with him.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

According to Taylor, Geno didn’t make himself available to the media after the game.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Come On Already!

My counter to this is... If Vellucci had the answers and could change things to make this a winning team, why hasn't he? It's his team, too. He's on the staff.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

At least all the Sullivan rejects got shipped out to that bad team in Vancouver.
Genius.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens should send out a letter like the Rangers did to their fans saying it's time for a rebuild/retool. We are going to move on from some popular names but it's for the long-term success of the team. Oh and we're going to fire the coach.

A majority of fans would be fine with it.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

What is there to say?
Own goal. Perfect way to put an exclamation point on this power play.

This team plays with an indifference. They just don't seem to care at all. Show up, skate around a bit, collect a paycheck, win/lose ... meh.

Either change the coaching staff or trade several players but to continue to do nothing, roll out the same lineup and same coaches, is just another wasted season. Do something. Anything.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

BTW, GMKD said he'd see where they are at the break... I don't think he needs to wait those 2 more games to know what we all know.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Fire everyone on that bench behind players..
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Former Tampa Bay Bucs coach John McKay could recycle some of his greatest hits while commenting on this Penguins team:

"We can't win at home and we can't win on the road. What we need is a neutral site."

or the GOAT of comments ...

"Q: What do you think of your team's execution, coach?"

A: "I'm in favor of it."
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

I’m now a believer that Rick Tochett was much more instrumental in the Pens past success then we think. And Ryan Graves man. Who’s gonna want him? 6 years? This team is shackled with NTC. I could see us move Smith, possibly. Everyone else veto’s
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

BlackNGold4Life wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:28 am I’m now a believer that Rick Tochett was much more instrumental in the Pens past success then we think. And Ryan Graves man. Who’s gonna want him? 6 years? This team is shackled with NTC. I could see us move Smith, possibly. Everyone else veto’s
I was recently thinking about this. Weird that Vancouver looks like the Cup teams from Pittsburgh. And the Pens haven't looked the same, and gradually worse, since he left.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:04 am According to Taylor, Geno didn’t make himself available to the media after the game.
Was he traded? Lol.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Went to bed after the first period. Glad I did. Sorry for bailing but I said after period one it looked like the Mike Johnston team Sully inherited. Was hoping I was wrong.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

I’d be shocked if Sullivan gets fired during the season. This org has become a warm, cozy operation where it’s more about friendships, memories, and good times than it is about winning. The suggestion of everyone should be fair game to be traded except Crosby is at least a couple years past due. They’ve made their bed with riding the core into the sunset. Well, it’s starting to get dark around here.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Odds are Rutherford left because he proposed blowing up the core. Now he looks real smart.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Sullivan is Bylsma part deux. Living off past successes too long. And I totally agree about Tocchet being a part of their last cup success. They needed to jettison Sullivan and grab Tocchet when he was still available. Opportunity lost.

This team looked like it hit rock bottom last night. Sid is just about the only thing that makes them worth watching. They have no heart or fortitude. No cajones.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

E-Ramone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 am I’d be shocked if Sullivan gets fired during the season. This org has become a warm, cozy operation where it’s more about friendships, memories, and good times than it is about winning. The suggestion of everyone should be fair game to be traded except Crosby is at least a couple years past due. They’ve made their bed with riding the core into the sunset. Well, it’s starting to get dark around here.
I agree. It's a farewell tour for the core and Sully...
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

BlackNGold4Life wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:28 am I’m now a believer that Rick Tochett was much more instrumental in the Pens past success then we think. And Ryan Graves man. Who’s gonna want him? 6 years? This team is shackled with NTC. I could see us move Smith, possibly. Everyone else veto’s
I concur as I distinctly remember feeling that his departure was going to hurt this team going forward. At the time I was hoping that he was next in line for the helm.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:58 am
E-Ramone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 am I’d be shocked if Sullivan gets fired during the season. This org has become a warm, cozy operation where it’s more about friendships, memories, and good times than it is about winning. The suggestion of everyone should be fair game to be traded except Crosby is at least a couple years past due. They’ve made their bed with riding the core into the sunset. Well, it’s starting to get dark around here.
I agree. It's a farewell tour for the core and Sully...
This is a very good summary of the current state of the team. If Sullivan is Bylsma part deux, the Penguins organization seems to be the 90's country club part deux. Everything is catered to the core. Keep them here forever. Everyone they ever played with must retire Penguins.

Maybe we are overlooking one of the biggest screw ups of Hextall's tenure...extending Mike Sullivan after 4 straight first round playoff losses. Who does that? I know he may have been prodded by FSG to do it, but the blinders and failure to admit this team doesn't have it anymore is downright sickening.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

“I’m not discouraged. I believe in this group. I think we’ve got good players,” Sullivan said. “Obviously, we’re disappointed with the last four periods. We recognize that it’s not our best. But I don’t think discouraged is a word that should enter our dressing room. I just think we’ve got to get more determined.”
He's starting to sound like Tomlin, "Obviously". They just need to get more determined. :roll: What a joke. He just needs to inject some determination in them. That's all. :roll: