Official GDT: Pens vs Panthers 1/26/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Panthers 1/26/24

Post by Pens4Life »

Poulin and Puuljarvi are waiting to be called up.. I think Puusty could go back to AHL,because his confidence is shattered and he is playing low minutes. Unless we finally change coaching staff,hm.. Dubas,can you do that,I mean - are you allowed to do that?

Is Sam playing RW or C in the AHL? I heard he mostly plays C, that coaching staff moved him there from wing, which he played earlier in career.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

That was one more point than I expected tonight. Cats are definitely a tough team to play. Ned gave us the chance to get that loser point which we badly need. Hopefully get 2 points tomorrow although back to back with these old legs will not be easy.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:40 pm Poulin and Puuljarvi are waiting to be called up.. I think Puusty could go back to AHL,because his confidence is shattered and he is playing low minutes. Unless we finally change coaching staff,hm.. Dubas,can you do that,I mean - are you allowed to do that?

Is Sam playing RW or C in the AHL? I heard he mostly plays C, that coaching staff moved him there from wing, which he played earlier in career.
Poulin plays either center or LW. He's been playing mainly LW right now, with Zohorna at center and Puljujarvi on the RW with them.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Rakell-Eller-Puusty
Poulin-Acciari-Puljujarvi

Looks a decent bottom 6 that should be able to contribute a goal every now and again.

But again, I realize this will never happen. Harkins, White, Carter play the right way. They don't score. The team never wins. But it's just bad luck, not coaching/personnel.
At least that's what I'm told loss after loss.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

With their recent 6 on 5 goalie pulled success I can't fathom how it escapes them HOW they are scoring those goals and then apply that to their PP.

Goals from near the net, rebounds, dirty, greasy goals.

But it just can't happen on the PP
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Antonio wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:14 pm Honestly they had less than 0 business getting a point so...

For the first time in 35 years of watching this team, it feels like a chore. It's not even enjoyable most of the time anymore and I hate that. Half the players don't even look like they want to be on the ice, the management seems like it's in a crack induced fugue about the state of things, the coaching is well past a cruel joke at this stage. Numerous things that many fans saw clearly as mistakes but were ignored by the supposed experts who make a career and millions of dollars are showing how obvious of mistakes they were. It's an inbred country club for a few guys to collect their checks and do whatever they want.
Didn't you say you were "done watching this team"? I think you said that several times. Yet here you are commenting on the latest game...
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

Some inexcusable glaring flaws in player usage this game. Especially in OT. Glad we got a point, but one of the better minutes of our PP that’s costing us games was when they took Geno and Karlsson off. I’ve said it for 2 months. These two together controlling the blue line is a disaster of hi risk turnover hockey. Most others on this board have seen it too forever. Why did it take so long. Why is Accari and Pettersson on the ice in OT. Why does Reardon have a job ranked 31st on the PP.

So many damn “whys” with this team.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:03 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:40 pm Poulin and Puuljarvi are waiting to be called up.. I think Puusty could go back to AHL,because his confidence is shattered and he is playing low minutes. Unless we finally change coaching staff,hm.. Dubas,can you do that,I mean - are you allowed to do that?

Poulin plays either center or LW. He's been playing mainly LW right now, with Zohorna at center and Puljujarvi on the RW with them.
Oh ,thanx for info.. man I also hate to see Acciari forced to play C all season, as he is best on wing, to please playing JC on 4th line,as he cant handle center spot anymore.. :face:
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Sams_Dog wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:49 am
Antonio wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:14 pm Honestly they had less than 0 business getting a point so...

For the first time in 35 years of watching this team, it feels like a chore. It's not even enjoyable most of the time anymore and I hate that. Half the players don't even look like they want to be on the ice, the management seems like it's in a crack induced fugue about the state of things, the coaching is well past a cruel joke at this stage. Numerous things that many fans saw clearly as mistakes but were ignored by the supposed experts who make a career and millions of dollars are showing how obvious of mistakes they were. It's an inbred country club for a few guys to collect their checks and do whatever they want.
Didn't you say you were "done watching this team"? I think you said that several times. Yet here you are commenting on the latest game...
Go ahead and find the exact quote where I said that, as you quote me with "". Plus, what is it with people...if you don't like what I post, then don't read it. Otherwise, how about you (insert saying thing that would get me a talking to). I never get why people feel the need to personally go after people online. Just don't read what I said. I am sorry everything I write is somehow so triggering for you. It isn't like I said anything but muse about the current state of things...keep forgetting that is not what online message boards are for. I have plenty of thoughts on what other people post, often stuff I think is idiotic or insane, but I don't go around endlessly directing attacks and gripes at them. Incidentally, don't bother finding a quote of me saying anything because I won't see it. Go ahead and just add me to your ignore list like I am doing for you. We don't have to even see each others posts now.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Antonio wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:56 am
Sams_Dog wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:49 am

Go ahead and find the exact quote where I said that, as you quote me with "". Plus, what is it with people...if you don't like what I post, then don't read it. Otherwise, how about you (insert saying thing that would get me a talking to). I never get why people feel the need to personally go after people online. Just don't read what I said. I am sorry everything I write is somehow so triggering for you. It isn't like I said anything but muse about the current state of things...keep forgetting that is not what online message boards are for. I have plenty of thoughts on what other people post, often stuff I think is idiotic or insane, but I don't go around endlessly directing attacks and gripes at them. Incidentally, don't bother finding a quote of me saying anything because I won't see it. Go ahead and just add me to your ignore list like I am doing for you. We don't have to even see each others posts now.
I really think the anger and frustration is misdirected here. Antonio is just like me and probably the majority of us……..frustrated with the way this team is being managed. This once proud franchise has really mismanaged itself so badly over the last few years that it is hard not to be frustrated and angry. We are all Penguins fans on here. I would hate to see us start to turn on each other. I have enjoyed Antonio’s contributions on here as much as DelPens or say FLPensFan etc. I was constantly badgered by MurphyDump55 for years and yet I still miss having him here this season. Relax everyone…..we are literally on the same team in this case!
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Once proud indeed. Have to say, outside of watching Sid who is always a pleasure and a joy to behold, this team was more fun during the X generation years than it is at the moment.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Antonio wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:17 pm Once proud indeed. Have to say, outside of watching Sid who is always a pleasure and a joy to behold, this team was more fun during the X generation years than it is at the moment.
Look at the Edmonton Oilers. Jay Woodcroft had a .643 winning percentage and .500 playoff winning percentage (Sullivan has a .639 winning percentage and .537 playoffs). Edmonton started the season pretty bad and Woodcroft is out after 13 games. They're now on a 16 game winning streak, not saying the Penguins would replicate that, but I think they would improve. The Penguins are sleepwalking through the season and their front office has the attitude that since Sullivan won two cups his job isn't in jeopardy. Like why make the sacrifice to win when there are no consequences?

I get loyalty to a coach, but this was beyond ridiculous two years ago. Now it's just inept.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:14 am
Antonio wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:17 pm Once proud indeed. Have to say, outside of watching Sid who is always a pleasure and a joy to behold, this team was more fun during the X generation years than it is at the moment.
Look at the Edmonton Oilers. Jay Woodcroft had a .643 winning percentage and .500 playoff winning percentage (Sullivan has a .639 winning percentage and .537 playoffs). Edmonton started the season pretty bad and Woodcroft is out after 13 games. They're now on a 16 game winning streak, not saying the Penguins would replicate that, but I think they would improve. The Penguins are sleepwalking through the season and their front office has the attitude that since Sullivan won two cups his job isn't in jeopardy. Like why make the sacrifice to win when there are no consequences?

I get loyalty to a coach, but this was beyond ridiculous two years ago. Now it's just inept.
Agreed. I don't get certain media out there that keep saying "No, no...the team hasn't tuned him out. Look at this stat, look at that stat. The players aren't executing. It would be dumb to fire Sullivan to find out he wasn't the problem." :roll:

Very few coaches have long runs with the same team in the NHL. 10 years is a lifetime. Sullivan is on season 9 (8th full season). Many, many a coach has been fired for much less.

Many Pittsburgh sports fans have adopted this "but look what he did X years ago" attitude towards management. Tomlin, Sullivan, even Rutherford to a point recently, when these coaches show no signs of being that coach anymore. They aren't getting those results anymore.

I'm really stumped that we've had 6 years with only 1 playoff series win and there are people in Pens management and fans who are still beating the drum for Mike Sullivan. It's not all on him, but in essence, he's blown the last few realistic years of the core winning a 4th Cup.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:57 pm It’s shame Bourque isn’t 25 years younger. He still has the compete level needed. It’s what made him a 2 time SC Champion.
Malkin, Crosby and Letang are 3X Cup champs ...
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

pens got 3 out of 4 points. Sullivans job is secure. Even if they got 0 out of 4, his job is secure.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Agreed. I don't get certain media out there that keep saying "No, no...the team hasn't tuned him out. Look at this stat, look at that stat. The players aren't executing. It would be dumb to fire Sullivan to find out he wasn't the problem." :roll:

Very few coaches have long runs with the same team in the NHL. 10 years is a lifetime. Sullivan is on season 9 (8th full season). Many, many a coach has been fired for much less.

Many Pittsburgh sports fans have adopted this "but look what he did X years ago" attitude towards management. Tomlin, Sullivan, even Rutherford to a point recently, when these coaches show no signs of being that coach anymore. They aren't getting those results anymore.

I'm really stumped that we've had 6 years with only 1 playoff series win and there are people in Pens management and fans who are still beating the drum for Mike Sullivan. It's not all on him, but in essence, he's blown the last few realistic years of the core winning a 4th Cup.
What's even worse is the "someone would hire him immediately" argument to prove he should stay. I think he is a good coach, just not a good coach for an aging team with limited speed. Heck, he'd probably win the cup with another team and that's okay since it won't happen in Pittsburgh. His time has come and he needs to move on.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Is Rutherford also the problem in Vancouver?