Ridly Greig's slapshot empty net goal

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ridly Greig's slapshot empty net goal

Post by FLPensFan »

What say you.....Cheap antics and deserving of what he got? Over the top, maybe, but didn't deserve a "Dale Hunter special?" What's wrong with what he did?

My personal opinion...in a game between rivals, I really saw nothing wrong with the play itself. If Toronto took THAT much exception to it, then go over to him and tell him you are dropping the gloves...I'm throwing punches over what you did. At least give the guy a chance to defend himself.

Toronto, Reaves, etc are all crying that it broke the code, he deserved it, they are in shock that Reilly is not only going to be suspended, but got an in-person hearing, meaning minimum of 5 games. They are also crying because Greig isn't injured, so they think the penalty should be minimal.

I mean, as much as I hated the Tom Wilson crap on Buchnevich and Panarin a few years ago, at least that stuff was before the whistle, after the whistle, and guys were engaged and saw it coming.

Blindside hits after the whistle are a big no-no for me.

If you haven't seen the play:

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Ridly Greig's slapshot empty net goal

Post by KG »

Pretty wild how much opinions vary. Marty Biron said it should only be a fine! lol yeah that's a bad take. The NHL can't have players cross-checking players in the head because the players feelings were hurt. Especially after the whistle blows and the play is over.

He got 5 games. I'm glad he didn't get less than that. I get why the Leafs were upset, but deal with it the right way.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

He's appealing and I'm willing to bet it gets reduced.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:46 pm What say you.....Cheap antics and deserving of what he got? Over the top, maybe, but didn't deserve a "Dale Hunter special?" What's wrong with what he did?

My personal opinion...in a game between rivals, I really saw nothing wrong with the play itself. If Toronto took THAT much exception to it, then go over to him and tell him you are dropping the gloves...I'm throwing punches over what you did. At least give the guy a chance to defend himself.

Toronto, Reaves, etc are all crying that it broke the code, he deserved it, they are in shock that Reilly is not only going to be suspended, but got an in-person hearing, meaning minimum of 5 games. They are also crying because Greig isn't injured, so they think the penalty should be minimal.

I mean, as much as I hated the Tom Wilson crap on Buchnevich and Panarin a few years ago, at least that stuff was before the whistle, after the whistle, and guys were engaged and saw it coming.

Blindside hits after the whistle are a big no-no for me.

If you haven't seen the play:

I think it was a cheat shot by a piece of crap cry baby. I see nothing wrong with how he shot the puck, it was more excitement than in your face. He just celebrated before the goal rather than after it. Rather than whine about it, perhaps the Maple Leafs should have I dunno not allowed him to get past them, down the ice, and shoot the puck into the net.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Glad there was a suspension.
Screw the code.
No rule against scoring a goal on an empty net with a slapshot.
If you react like a bunch of sore losers and try and injure someone at the end of a game for no reason cuz penalties are meaningless you deserve a suspension.
NHL has enough garbage as it is without more of this.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

It's insane some people are defending what he did. Maybe if you get that butthurt when someone scores on you, don't play the game. Who cares how he did it.

Happy he was suspended, should have been more.