Official GDT: Pens @ Leafs 4/8/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Leafs 4/8/24

Post by KG »

Take the point clearly. But another game that the power play cost them a point. Maybe game 79 they will figure out the PP!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

maopens wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:50 pm This may not be the time for it, but can someone again remind me what makes Sullivan a great coach?

Line management?
Power play?
3 on 3 in OT?

Where does he shine when decisions have to be made?
The team wins in spite of Sullivan. He let's them play the way they want to play and tune him out for 90% of the season.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And honestly the current winning lineup is only due to injuries.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Even Toronto media confused:

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:55 pm Even Toronto media confused:

Would love someone in our media to ask Sullivan two questions: 1. How does Sid not start the OT. 2. Why does Carter get so much ice time on the PP and ES? The analytics show that he's a pylon.

Thanks!
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Sullivan doing his best to keep Penguins out of the playoffs
He's becoming an expert at it.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Pens getting it tied to get a Point was huge.Late 3rd Period was a big push to nearly get it won.
Ned with many great saves.He battled once again and didn't give up anything when the Leafs were putting it on him.
Rust and Smith weren't good tonight.Rust was awful with the puck.Smith a non factor once again.
The PP as usual cost them.As did the OT strategy which was useless.30th PP.9 OT Losses.Coaching a key factor in both of those failures.
Sid and Geno were outstanding.Karlsson played a strong game.Letang was solid.Best players definitely brought their effort.

The Clown Show Officiating had an effect on how thus game went.2 Penalty calls that were simply not warranted.A missed call late on a trip on EK.
To expect a fairly called game in Toronto is clearly not a reasonable expectation.No doubt the kind of effort we saw from the Pens early and late was something that showed how serious they were about winning this one.They played it like a Playoff Game for much of it.

But Sully again hurt this team.He continues to give Jeff Carter too many minutes.His PP again netted zero.And his OT strategy gave up a valuable point.Never put out his best players.The Pens have a combined 12 points given up between the OT Losses and Shootout Losses.And God knows how many close games has this PP cost them-10?
Last edited by Zalapski33 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

BlackNGold4Life wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:47 pm EK **** the bed in OT and Sully’s line management ate that ****.
Hahaha
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

maopens wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:50 pm This may not be the time for it, but can someone again remind me what makes Sullivan a great coach?

Line management?
Power play?
3 on 3 in OT?

Is it being 0/5 in the last five seasons in the playoffs that makes you great?
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Line management?
Power play?
3 on 3 in OT?

The team wins in spite of Sullivan. He let's them play the way they want to play and tune him out for 90% of the season.
9 Points lost with OT Losses.10 minimum if You get 5 Wins in regulation with 1 PP Goal.

Didn't put his best guys out there again.Carter was on the ice way too often,his inability to cover defensively cost them a Goal.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

I was hoping the OT would keep going just to see if Jeff Carter would get the second shift to be honest.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I mean if Sully is starting Eller and OC he's saying he is just trying to defend the opening shift....then put MP out there instead of EK.

There zero rationale to not start Sid. I'm seeing Rossi say Sid has been outscored 5-0 in OT this season. I don't care, it's crunch time. You win or lose with your best.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If this is true the I will calm down because I don't really trust Geno in OT either. But just a bad time for Sid to have a skate issue.
Last edited by KG on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

If you're gonna lose, you go down with your best players. And the guys who are dragging the corpses of this team to playoff contention.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:14 pm

If this is true the I will calm down and move on! lol
Doesn't explain why you don't then go with 71 and Bunting then.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Big reach.......

Onto the next! Go Rangers. CAPS v Detroit ??? :?:
Last edited by penny lane on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:13 pm I mean if Sully is starting Eller and OC he's saying he is just trying to defend the opening shift....then put MP out there instead of EK.

There zero rationale to not start Sid. I'm seeing Rossi say Sid has been outscored 5-0 in OT this season. I don't care, it's crunch time. You win or lose with your best.
I wonder how many of those took place with Letang on the Ice.
3-9 is a lousy record in OT.Coach can't figure it out.Has had 78 Games to address it.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:14 pm

If this is true the I will calm down because I don't really trust Geno in OT either. But just a bad time for Sid to have a skate issue.
Same here.Nothing they could do about that.I'll temper that criticism a bit.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Sullivan is lying and he knows the Pittsburgh media won't call him on it.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

It is interesting to think that with a competent coach, this team could possibly have had even an adequate pp and a 3 on 3 where they, you know, practice it once in a while. Say everything else was the same and they had a decent pp and ot ability ... very easily this team could have 90 points right now and be basically a playoff lock. Pretty sad because as several of us have noted all season, this team really shouldn't be as bad as it's been. It's not a world dominator, but it frankly has had no business being in the running for the goddamn #1 pick either.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ouch...

BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:01 am Ouch...

Hey, but no need to practice it, right Coach Jeenyus?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

To not practice 3 on 3 are crimes against the organization.
To add 77 ice time needs revisited.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm truly flabbergasted by their inability to A.) fix the power play at least enough to become mediocre; and, B.) see their horrible 3-on-3 play and take measures to improve it (again, to at least mediocre). This isn't an aging team issue. Couple those major issues with their penchant for blowing 3rd-period leads (although some of that is down to both the above, since a power play goal here and there gives them a regulation win versus an overtime loss), and they have left 10-15 points on the table. Take just half those points (heck, even 5!) and they have clinched 3rd place in the Metro.

I've been impressed with their grit the last couple of weeks but it will be a shame if that is wasted by their absolute inability to fix these glaring problems.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

All that said, they've played themselves into an easier decision re: this year's No. 1 pick. Ship it to San Jose, hope Carolina gets out of the east to get their first, and keep next year's pick. At the time, as a group we mostly thought the Jake trade was underwhelming but they immediately got themselves top prospects (at least for the Pens' system), and Bunting has been a great fit. He won't match Jake's scoring but he'll be close enough (at half the price!) if they can get some jump/goals from the bottom 2 lines next year.

They are in a better position than I thought they might be as an organization. But if they bring back the entire coaching staff then I take that all back...