Playoffs or new coaching staff

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Playoffs or new coaching staff?

Make playoffs
60%
Replace coaching staff
40%

Total votes: 40

Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Playoffs or new coaching staff

Post by Antonio »

No judgement, no "you're a bad/real/fake/good fan etc". Just curious on the thoughts of the people. At this stage what would you rather have? Would you rather them make the playoffs and then things unfold as you believe/hope/think they will if they make it or would you rather have Sullivan and company replaced... assuming you can only have 1 or the other. I can imagine arguments and reasons on both sides of the question so I'm wondering where more people fall.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Playoffs or new coaching staff

Post by Admin »

These guys aren’t getting younger. Playoffs for me.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Easy. Playoffs.

Sidney Crosby deserves to play in the playoffs and the Stanley Cup Playoffs are 100x better when 87 is playing in it.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If I had to chose 1 it has to be new coaches because Sullivan needs to go. I always want to see this team win and do well in the playoffs but even if we don’t blow this, we never should had been fighting for a 2nd wild card spot like this and should be fighting for 2nd in the division right now.

This team is horribly coached and it has to change.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShaPe »

Playoffs, as RJ said, they are not getting younger so lets enjoy as many playoffs as we can with them
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I see the argument for playoffs. Hopefully we can all agree that Rierden has to go regardless of Sullivan and Vellucci even if he’s just the fall guy for the horrible PP even if Sullivan is much more involved in the strategy there and in OT than most believe.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

DelPen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:51 am I see the argument for playoffs. Hopefully we can all agree that Rierden has to go regardless of Sullivan and Vellucci even if he’s just the fall guy for the horrible PP even if Sullivan is much more involved in the strategy there and in OT than most believe.
I'm a playoffs guy but have been calling for Reirden to go hasta la buh bye for sometime now. This PP is not what will win games nor will it get them to the playoffs.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Hoping for the playoffs and then uber failure by the team early next season causing management to dump the coaching staff. I at least hope that the failure of the power play and the sub-par performance of the defense cause them to get rid of Reirden this off season. I think the team's playoff performance may have some influence on what happens to the coaching staff as well.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

As much as I'd love a clean sweep of the coaching staff, I cannot root against them making the playoffs. This is a deeply flawed team but the Panthers proved last year that you just have to get in and anything can happen. Florida was a much better team heading in than the Pens are this year but I want to see Sid in the playoffs again.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

We need BOTH! If only one…..New coaching staff. We will go nowhere in the playoffs. No team can be successful surrendering two goal leads in the third like we do routinely. FIRE SULLY!
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Playoffs.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I want both. But I definitely want them to make the playoffs, because the stooges in charge are not replacing the coaching staff regardless of whether they make it or not...
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Sigwolf wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:44 am I want both. But I definitely want them to make the playoffs, because the stooges in charge are not replacing the coaching staff regardless of whether they make it or not...
This is me. I am afraid there will be no coaching replacements no matter what happens so I want playoffs.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Both.

But priority to making the playoffs!

That's the whole reason we even played this season. I'll never *want* my team to fail to *maybe* get something out of it long term that isn't anything more than speculative.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Is there any unemployed coach out there right now that can fix the power play by tomorrow? Would make the rest of the month interesting.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Southern Fan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm Is there any unemployed coach out there right now that can fix the power play by tomorrow? Would make the rest of the month interesting.
Can they just call Glen Gulutzan for some helpful tips? :lol:

https://thecoachessitelive.com/glen-gul ... powerplay/
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

I go with playoffs because of Sid. He deserves no matter what and like ahawk9 already said, you never know what can happen when you get in. That said I am not expecting this team to get far in the playoffs with the way that they play, even though they are playing their best hockey of the season. A first round upset over the Rangers or Bruins would be great and I would be happy with that. Even if they win a couple of rounds I still think the coaching staff needs to go. I dont think next season is going to be much better than this one and it could be a lot worse. I think the best case scenario (other than winning the Cup but that ain't happening) would be a first round upset over NY in the playoffs then can the coaches after the season.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Let the band play. I figure 10 years from now I will remember this era of Penguins hockey with the core, much more than a coaching staff that outlived their shelf life.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Sams_Dog wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:35 pm I think the best case scenario (other than winning the Cup but that ain't happening) would be a first round upset over NY in the playoffs then can the coaches after the season.
If they win a round, there is no way Sullivan is canned during the off-season. Heck, even if they just make the playoffs I don't think he'll get canned... maybe if the team looks really bad during next season GMKD will make a move, but def not if they win a round.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Both would work for me but I got to hope they can make the playoffs simply because A)it's the Pens and B)even if they don't, Sullivan is still coming back so Pens falling on their face the next 3 games won't accomplish anything.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Initially, I voted for removing the coaching staff, but I am having second thoughts.

I really wish Sullivan and company had been fired in December.

But Sid and the core do have a limited shelf life.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

It's easy choice for me to make the playoffs. If the choice was miss the playoffs, get a new coach, and get a top-10 pick in this year's draft, that would be a tougher one.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Where is the points for our super coach that everyone is looking for? According to Dubas.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Would have been interesting if the Pens had taken a chance on bringing Tocchet back as a HC after the 21-22 season before Vancouver signed him. Sullivan only had a few years left on his contract then, and their ongoing playoff struggles were already well underway. Instead they signed Sullivan to that ridiculous early three year extension that has yet to even begin...

He seemed to have a positive impact as an assistant here, and no one can really blame him for not finding great success with the train wreck that is the Coyotes organization. Vancouver didn't hire him until midseason 22-23, so the window was there.
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

I quickly placed my vote for replacing the staff as I am of the belief that this is essential to any success we have in rebuilding/retooling going forward.
If I had hesitated at all I would have ultimately voted for playoffs as my heart would always want this for the Pens & Sid.