Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pitts »

Tico Rick wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm
Antonio wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm If sullivan wants that job I am pretty sure all he has to do is tell Dubas, hey I want out and it would all be done instantly.
If he quits he doesn't get paid. He needs to be fired.
He's been paid handsomely the past few years. His new contract doesn't kick in until July 1 - he will easily make that contract up, if not get even more. He doesn't need to be paid.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

If the entire coaching staff, both in Pittsburgh and WBS, are to be replaced, how comfortable are you in Dubas and staff to replace six openings prior to Draft Day, June 28?

Still not sure what the outcome will be, but hopefully it ends with a headcoach being replaced in the organization in Pittsburgh.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Skatingpen wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:51 pm I have such mixed emotions about the comments regarding Sullivan. There sure is a lot of hate for the man. I get that his time may be up, but why such hate towards him?
Hate?
Not winning a playoff rd in 6 years (and not even getting in the last 2 despite spending to the cap with his 3rd 'gm'/pres of h.o.) is a logical reason for dismissal for any coach be it Toe Blake, Scotty Bowman, or yes, even the grand mastermind of ice hockey, Mike Sullivan.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:12 pm
Skatingpen wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:51 pm I have such mixed emotions about the comments regarding Sullivan. There sure is a lot of hate for the man. I get that his time may be up, but why such hate towards him?
My guess is the vast majority have never played the sport. Any time you read something that says Sully "never makes changes/adjustments", you know that person doesn't understand what they are watching. Which is fine...It's hockey, quite frankly, there's only so much any coach can tweak a system.... I mean, just think about it this way; he's the 3rd (I think) winningest American coach in the history of the league and has 2 cups on top of that, but a bunch of dudes on message boards, social media, whatever are typing all the stuff that he is doing wrong....They wanna see guys in WBS that they likely never saw play. "They can do just as good"....all that kinda stuff....Not a knock on them personally, but obviously they have no idea how they are perceived when they type such things. Then again, this all anonymous so who really cares :D

Having said that, in general, MS is a really good coach who's time has potentially come to an end here. My personal opinion as to why management hasn't made the change yet is they know the results at the end will likely remain the same. Yes, there's some on here that think this team can upgrade the team on the fly, change the coach, and catch lightning in a bottle, but in reality that's a wild pipe dream. The only chance at a quick turnaround (2-3 years) towards becoming a contender again would be to trade the core. All of them, not just the whipping boys...
The man has changed the team and tried things differently. But was mostly forced by who was available and alive.

I don't think he's a good coach for this team anymore. There are some very typical failings in games you attribute to coaching and it's been consistent for years. Time to change.

That won't make us a playoff team. Nothing short of a complete rebuild will.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Badger Bob wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:49 pm Sullivan obviously feels the players are the issue with the power play.
They likely are the problem.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:23 am
Badger Bob wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:49 pm Sullivan obviously feels the players are the issue with the power play.
You can't fire the entire team so you fire the coach. That's the saying, and it's fitting. Of course it's the players, but the coaches job is to give them the game plan, system and motivation to put them in the best position to win. Sullivan no longer does that. His message has gone stale, it has gone stale since the bubble arguably. Players know what they can get away with and are also stubborn in wanting to play a certain way.

Everyone needs a fresh voice with new ideas. Hockey coaches never last this long with the same team. I think 10 coaches got fired this season alone. Time to move on.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

KG wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:56 am
Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:23 am
You can't fire the entire team so you fire the coach. That's the saying, and it's fitting. Of course it's the players, but the coaches job is to give them the game plan, system and motivation to put them in the best position to win. Sullivan no longer does that. His message has gone stale, it has gone stale since the bubble arguably. Players know what they can get away with and are also stubborn in wanting to play a certain way.

Everyone needs a fresh voice with new ideas. Hockey coaches never last this long with the same team. I think 10 coaches got fired this season alone. Time to move on.
I agree it’s time to move on….I just don’t expect overly different results.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:46 am
I agree it’s time to move on….I just don’t expect overly different results.
I second this. Gotta try some coaching changes but I don't expect much different team results after changes.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I'm not saying it's a reason to keep the coaching staff, but I do think the personnel on the PP share a lot of the blame, as does Dubas for assembling those personnel. Yes, there is a lot of talent, but:

1) I feel like Malkin's shot is not the weapon is used to be, and he's less inclined to shoot. And he still has the tendencies that lead to shorthanded opportunities going the other way.

2) Letang is still a good skater, but not insanely good like he used to be. I remember earlier in his career, I almost wouldn't be worried when the other team got a semi-breakaway shorthanded, since I was confident Letang would catch the guy. That doesn't happen anymore, and he's never been a good shooter from the point.

3) As Dubas even mentioned in his end-of-season presser, Karlsson seemed inclined to try all of these low percentage slap passes looking for redirects instead of just shooting. I know Crosby is insanely good at redirects, but still, it's a low percentage play.

4) There wasn't really anyone to serve as a net-front presence or to win board battles. Maybe Bunting can be that guy, but it's a small sample so far.

5) Crosby is still great, but he's also not who he was 5-10 years ago when it was always a possibility that even if the PP is sputtering, he comes through with some ridiculous individual play to make it successful.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

largegarlic wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 pm I'm not saying it's a reason to keep the coaching staff, but I do think the personnel on the PP share a lot of the blame, as does Dubas for assembling those personnel. Yes, there is a lot of talent, but:

1) I feel like Malkin's shot is not the weapon is used to be, and he's less inclined to shoot. And he still has the tendencies that lead to shorthanded opportunities going the other way.

2) Letang is still a good skater, but not insanely good like he used to be. I remember earlier in his career, I almost wouldn't be worried when the other team got a semi-breakaway shorthanded, since I was confident Letang would catch the guy. That doesn't happen anymore, and he's never been a good shooter from the point.

3) As Dubas even mentioned in his end-of-season presser, Karlsson seemed inclined to try all of these low percentage slap passes looking for redirects instead of just shooting. I know Crosby is insanely good at redirects, but still, it's a low percentage play.

4) There wasn't really anyone to serve as a net-front presence or to win board battles. Maybe Bunting can be that guy, but it's a small sample so far.

5) Crosby is still great, but he's also not who he was 5-10 years ago when it was always a possibility that even if the PP is sputtering, he comes through with some ridiculous individual play to make it successful.
I agree with number 4 in that they need to be more physical while still being able to score. Instead of pursuing Sam Reinhart, who’s going to cost a fortune, try prying Lawson Crouse away from Arizona, who is cheaper, younger, more physical and can score over 20 a season. That would double up our net-front presence over two lines.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Madden article today says the Penguins should hire Sheldon Keefe as the new WBS coach, should he be let go in Toronto (sounding like a strong possibility if they lose to Boston).

Madden claims Keefe will run Dubas's vision for the roster...but he's not so sure Sullivan is doing the same.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... ency-plan/
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Fishing for extra $$$?
Regarding Sullivan, I would hope Dubas does not let him go to a division team. That's crazy, right?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pens making cuts to business staff: https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/pittsbu ... C4JYC63N4/
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:52 pm Pens making cuts to business staff: https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/pittsbu ... C4JYC63N4/
No playoff revenue equals cuts !
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:51 pm

Fishing for extra $$$?
Regarding Sullivan, I would hope Dubas does not let him go to a division team. That's crazy, right?
Carolina owner is historically a cheap guy. I remember they actually posted their GM job years ago. Salary was $400k. You could apply lol.

If there is a bidding war, Rod the bod will move on.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

largegarlic wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:42 pm I'm not saying it's a reason to keep the coaching staff, but I do think the personnel on the PP share a lot of the blame, as does Dubas for assembling those personnel. Yes, there is a lot of talent, but:

If the Pens went out and got a 1C somehow, then Sid gets to go against second dee pairings and Geno 3 dee pairings. The problem exists because they have to find the right guys to be wingers but Sid and Geno are still facing top pairings on defense. Imagine if Sid was the 3C and Geno the 4C. That would even be better, but the organization created this mess by not replacing generational talents just trying to play stop gap measures. The Lightning post cup #1 did the same thing with Richards Lecavalier and St. Louis. Although a somewhat different circumstance, the team ends up with 3 aging vets with no support ABOVE them. They have tried the “replace around” now it is time to replace above whether through the draft, trades or free agency. I know 1C and 2C are hard to replace, but those guys could have learned from Sid and Geno along the way.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Well said about the center depth. If they could even go out and somehow score one 2nd-line caliber center it would go a long way toward helping out. Having Eller as a 4C is great, but at times he was on the 2nd line, at 34.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

There is NO WAY Sid isn't our 1C! Who would you possibly get that could be better? Sorry, I just don't see that happening for at least another 2 seasons.

A 2C maybe, but I'm not sure Geno is ready to give up that role - unless he becomes Sid's LW.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am There is NO WAY Sid isn't our 1C! Who would you possibly get that could be better? Sorry, I just don't see that happening for at least another 2 seasons.

A 2C maybe, but I'm not sure Geno is ready to give up that role - unless he becomes Sid's LW.
Not replacing Sid but *cough* Stamkos, age and all, would be an incredible signing. Scored 40 goals at age 34 and looked like a beast in the playoffs. If Tampa ends up letting him go, Penguins should be all over it.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Ok I agree Sid is a tough one to replace and he still adds huge value. But at least a Lindholm type guy maybe that could move Geno down to 3C? Eller at 4C.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 am
Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am There is NO WAY Sid isn't our 1C! Who would you possibly get that could be better? Sorry, I just don't see that happening for at least another 2 seasons.

Not replacing Sid but *cough* Stamkos, age and all, would be an incredible signing. Scored 40 goals at age 34 and looked like a beast in the playoffs. If Tampa ends up letting him go, Penguins should be all over it.
On paper that would help PP1 considerably.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

For sure! Stamkos would do to the powerplay what Phil Kessel did - make it work! His age doesn't help the "get younger" message, but he would definitely be effective.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Pitts wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:47 am

For sure! Stamkos would do to the powerplay what Phil Kessel did - make it work! His age doesn't help the "get younger" message, but he would definitely be effective.
I would bet a substantial amount of money that many said the same thing about Karlsson.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/panth ... op-50-ufas

Top 50 pending UFA's. Plenty names on there that would help the Pens cause!
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:13 am https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/panth ... op-50-ufas

Top 50 pending UFA's. Plenty names on there that would help the Pens cause!
Kind of says more about the Pens than the UFAs though